Gas prices by ZIP CODE

J

jsteinb95

Just enter your zip code in the site below, and it tells you which gas stations have the cheapest prices (and the highest) on gas in your zip code area. It's updated every evening

Gas Prices - MSN Autos

OK, stand bye for a history lesson:

When I was a child of 10 I lived in El Monte California and there were 4 stations at the corner of Peke and Durphy where they would have what was termed gas wars from time to time. The cheapest I remember gas being was 18.9 cents per gallon. Things stayed pretty cheap up through the 60's and in the early 70's gas went up into the 50 cent area. At that time my wife and I had a baby blue 1969 Boss 429 Mustang that got roughly 6mpg on a bad day and as much as 10 on a good day. We sold that car in 1975 when gas prices were getting near a dollar a gallon because we couldn't afford it and running around with 2 kids didn't help matters. At today's prices it would cost about 70 dollars to fill it and on a good day it may make it 200 miles before it needed to be pushed. In contrast, I had a 1987 Turbo Sprint with a 998cc 3 cylinder engine that on a bad day would get 50mpg and on a good day 55mpg. My wife had a naturally aspirated 1986 model Sprint that could clear 60 on a good day and we could go up to her folks and back, a distance of just over 400 miles on an 8 gallon load of fuel. Both of those cars were less than $10,000. Today, the Prius, a hybrid is supposed to get 50mpg highway and this from the owners I have talked to is a good day. That car is $22,000 or more. Seems technology hasn't been good to us as those gas mileage heroes of the 80's were doing better than the hybrid of today and at half the price.

I see this being a sticky thread because i would have to post every day to keep up on what the price is. Here around houston/galveston it has rose 18 cents in the last 4 days.

Back