Garmin mount for FZ6

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been playing with GPS's this week. The front runner so far is the garmin Nuvi inside the tank bag so you can glance down and see it (and it's waterproof in there). Velcro holds it in place (after my first run failed when it slid all the way towards me so I couldn;t see it as soon as I started to "make progress" :D )

For power I run a cigarette lighter socket from the battery and that can power the Nuvi via the standard car adaptor it comes with. I can also charge my phone or anything else from the same outlet.

Pictures are on http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be mounting my Zumo sometime shortly, trouble is Garmin supplies a U type connector RAM mount, now this is easy to mount on the 2005 model (on the middle part of the handlebars) but on the 2007 there is a "plate" on top of the middle of the handlebar mounting, which cuts down the possibilities a lot.

I don't know which is the best mount for your GPS (which I assume is a Nuvi). Is your GPS waterproof? (I know there are a few that are). I used to use my (non waterproof) tom tom (on my palmtop) in my tankbag, but I found it less than ideal.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is how I mounted my Zumo on the '07.

I wired mine straight to the battery with the supplied fused harness.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is how I mounted my Zumo on the '07.

I wired mine straight to the battery with the supplied fused harness.

Ant, thanks for the pic, doesn't it block the speedo. I've been looking at doing something similar but with the mount base joint facing forwards so I could lower it a bit, but I'll have to see if this interferes with my tank bag.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
No it doesn't block anything. Here is a pic witht he tankbag and another witht he Zumo on. You sit a little higher than the pic looks so you can see the entire spedo guage.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my garmin 2720 (waterproof and vibration proof) mounted with a ram mount, as it stands it partially blocks the left side of the tach but the speedo is clear. When I stop being so lazy I'll move it further to the left so everything is in the clear Best part of a setup like this is the gps is in the same line of sight as the speedo so you can get all your information with a quick glance down vs. something completely out of sight like putting it in the tank bag.

Oh and I made up a aux fuse box setup powered through a relay to clean up the wiring to the battery as I also have heated grips and likely other electrical accessories in the future.

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Thorkoma,
Yes, I have a nuvi 360, and yes... it can mount to the stock handle bars with a ram mount kit that runs about 40 bucks if memory serves correctly.

BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THE NUVI 3 SERIES FOR YOUR MOTORYCLE!!!

My nuvi was having issues when plugged into the usb port on the side of the unit. I called garmin and told them i was being prompted "External device is not supported". Garmin said that the usb port on the side of the nuvi 360 is not supposed to be used for external power. The only power source that should be plugged into is behind the unit itself (via an adapter). This will not work with the ram mount. So yeah. I'd go with something else. Right now I have a magellan 4250 GPS. It works great... but it's really big (4.3" screen). Actually... it's to big. :(

Just my thought.

KG