Gaining more experience with my bike...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
How can I write this without making it too long?

All of the sudden I got many things I was waiting for my bike and a +100 mile ride (poker run) to give it a try.

To make things worse, lately I've been very busy with work and time does not seem enought.
I got, from a member of this forum (thank you) a TS seat and Pazzo levers (I just installed the Pazzo levers on Saturday...) The seat looks and feels good (it might need a little more cushion!!!!) but I had only tried it on short rides around town before a good test last Sunday.

So, there was this charity run to benefit a pets' shelter around Central Florida (as part of a Harley Davidson owners group event...), and it was an opportunity to contribute to the shelter and also to adventure on a longer ride (I'm "recovering" from a hearniated disk, unfortunately this might take for ever...).
In summary, these are all the things that I got ready (or delivered) just before this ride:
TS seat (installed just after I got it) early June
Pazzo levers (long) installed Saturday morning. - Here I messed up!!!!!!!!! I realized, after replacing the levers, that the brakes were too touchy, extremelly short and as I moved the bike, it felt like the brakes were engaged!!!!!!! Unfortunately I did not put too much enphasys on this and I just though it was part of the new modification (WRONG!!!!)
Axxio tail bag installed early June (I had to wait for a month for this item!!!!)
GoPro HD camera (delivered Saturday morning after waiting for a month for this this!!!!!)

On Saturday morning, after installations, I washed the bike and wanted to put some lubrication on the chain, which had some rust spots !!!!!!! but the directions of the luv said to apply it to a warm chain. I could not even ride the bike on Saturday (social compromises!!!!!!) so, after all this I left the house itching to ride...

So, on Sunday, we have 1 hour to get to the "last bike out" and we are running a little late. After I got to my friend's house (like 5 minutes from mine) I told her I was going back to my house to apply the luv to the chain (which I forgot) so she left her house a couple of minutes after me. Before the last turn to my house, as I engaged the cluch, the bike came to a complete stop (it was good I was riding towards the right). I could not move the bike at all. Any attempt would make to front go down. My friend was like 3-4 minutes behind me. Once she go where I was we swaped bikes, I went back to my house (close to a block away) got tools and the standard levers. Swapped the brake lever (which I felt was still touchy!!!!! too short) and off we went. Here I was extremelly lucking I was not in the turn and the was nobody following me on the road.

After the registration (we got there as the staff was leaving!!!!!!) I'm going last among the last group and along the ride to the first stop (I no dot know the area) and it happens again!!!!!!!!!! I engaged the cluch and the front of the bike just went down (just like when you press the front brake hard) but this time I went fast to 1st gear and was able to get the bike to the sidewalk (as I was telling my friend that I got stock again - using the intercom - ). She headed back, I left some tools in the bag and removed the standard lever, this time I wanted to make sure the (I do not know the propper name) pin that activates the front brake was centered. So, I installed the standar lever again and went to try to find the group. Once again, I was very lucky this did not happen on a turn and nobody was following me on the road.

We catch up with the group at the first stop and from there it was like everything in a hurry, with a bunch of loud (and smoky) Harleys.

I do have to say that on the way to the last stop, there was a lot of erratic riding as the ones leading the group we were were kind of lost, so, bikes were going from the left lane to the right one, and back to the left one.

I have to say that we did meet a couple of courteous riders.

The only non Harley bikes were my friend's GSX 650F,my FZ6 and a GSXR (the guy was wearing just one shirt flying all over the place). I do not recall anybody else wearing a riding jacket!!!!!

After the event was over, we went back "the long way home".

At the end, it was 160 riding miles with a wonderful weather (pretty hot actually and just a light rain) and my back was happy. I'm even more happy "and lucky" that nothing happen becasue of my front break lever installation.

I actually reinstalled the pazzo yesterday (Monday) and went on a ride to test it. If feels fine this time.

I was not able to use the camera too much on Sunday. Yesterday I recorded a couple short videos, now I realize I'm on a new quest to edit and post them...

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
This was just after we got back on Saturday at my friend's house.

From there we went to take the dogs for a walk around a lake by the woods.

Overall, it was an very good day.