GAH ?! Another, "should i buy this or this" crisis.... in poll form!

Buy the ugly cheaper one or the one you'll love (most biased poll title ever)

• Buy the fugly one thats cheaper, the mechanics are still the same.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Buy the one you will love to live with every day, for a bit more.

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
GAH so after a night of sleep i still want the friggen Versys in black, which means it has to be a 2010, and the guy at the dealer wants 2 grand more than a similar used one in that horrible red or blue.... So i pose the question, should i get the bike that is much better value but not as pretty (they did cosmetic upgrades in 2010) and in a color that i will hate every morning when i go to start it, or do i buck up and bite the bullet and pay a little more for something i'll love to look at every day and will put a smile on my face when i see it in the parking lot....

versys650black.jpg

+$2200
or
images

"passion red" *gag*
:ban: for irrational bike buying?

Last edited:
Mate pay the extra for the one you'll love. I paid extra for the FZ6-N in white cause I just loved it!!

Seriously if you were to buy with your head and not your heart, you'd buy a car.

I never advocate spending more, but if you're definitely set on Versys, I say spend the extra money and get the one you really fell in love with.
There's something about going out to the garage in the dead of Winter and just staring at your bike for a few minutes.. just dreaming of warmer days. Don't get the same feeling if you're not totally in love with it.

There's something about going out to the garage in the dead of Winter and just staring at your bike for a few minutes.. just dreaming of warmer days. Don't get the same feeling if you're not totally in love with it.

... then wheeling it down the path, turning your heated grips on, and going for a ride :D

When you put it like this...

should i get the bike that is much better value but not as pretty (they did cosmetic upgrades in 2010) and in a color that i will hate every morning when i go to start it, or do i buck up and bite the bullet and pay a little more for something i'll love to look at every day and will put a smile on my face when i see it in the parking lot....

It's really a no brainer. Seems the question should be should I buy the black Verses or neither. I would not pay for something that I would "hate every morning when i go to start it" unless it was a chap ass car and that was all I could afford. If you're thinking about buying this bike, I wouldn't place you in that category.

What are you riding now?

BTW, X2 on the paint. I like the red (not as much as the black), but couldn't you find a shop to paint the red pieces for about $500 or so?

When you put it like this...

It's really a no brainer. Seems the question should be should I buy the black Verses or neither. I would not pay for something that I would "hate every morning when i go to start it" unless it was a chap ass car and that was all I could afford. If you're thinking about buying this bike, I wouldn't place you in that category.

What are you riding now?

BTW, X2 on the paint. I like the red (not as much as the black), but couldn't you find a shop to paint the red pieces for about $500 or so?

They actually changed the cosmetics, not alot but enough that i notice now, it's not so much the red (i have a guy who does paint) but the changed cosmetics and the little upgrades, if there was a 09 or older that had the new stuff i'd buy that in a heartbeat and paint it...Also this particular one was lowered i believe and had a $500 gel seat on it... still thinking on it, got a few days to think stuff over before i go look at bikes again. might just get an older one cheaper, get it painted and deal with the slightly less attractive front end, we'll see.

Edit: At the moment not riding anything, get to use a rebel 250 every now and again which is fine, until you try and do highway speeds or more than 30 miles at a time, or try to pass somone (not recommended on a rebel)

Last edited:
I voted for the 2009. Simply because I'd imagine $2000 worth of paint and mods should easily make it the better option.

Watch ebay for the parts from 2010 that you prefer, or simply find aftermarket options that are even better still. When you've got it looking and handling the way you want it, spend $500 on paint that will turn heads.

It's an ugly bike in either color (j/k) kinda, so you'd have 2000 reasons to overlook the purchase and start modding!

The changes for the newer model are enough to pay the extra price. The other option is used, or are they both used? New vs used is another big factor to look at. Nice bikes btw :)

They actually changed the cosmetics, not alot but enough that i notice now, it's not so much the red (i have a guy who does paint) but the changed cosmetics and the little upgrades, if there was a 09 or older that had the new stuff i'd buy that in a heartbeat and paint it...Also this particular one was lowered i believe and had a $500 gel seat on it... still thinking on it, got a few days to think stuff over before i go look at bikes again. might just get an older one cheaper, get it painted and deal with the slightly less attractive front end, we'll see.

Well, I'd probably bite the bullet then. Sounds like you'd get maybe 1/2 the extra $$ on the upgrades (whatever it costs to lower it + the $500 seat), so you're really only spending an extra $1000 is you would have done these upgrades anyway.

I like the bike. I have not ridden one, but I had thought about the Verses when I bought the FZ6. A friend of mine had just bought a new 2009 Ninja 650R and they had a few of them up there at pretty good deals.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just be sure to get what you want - it's your money and in the end it sucks to pay that much for something you really don't like or isn't what you want.

The changes for the newer model are enough to pay the extra price. The other option is used, or are they both used? New vs used is another big factor to look at. Nice bikes btw :)

yeah they'd both be used, the black one is at a stealership with like 2k miles on it whereas you can find lots of the used red ones on CL/ebay etc.... theres just NO black ones out there on the internet, it's either a new dark red 2011 or a pre 2010 used red/green one...going to look around at rates tomorrow, will be a big factor when i make my final decision.

It would honestly be worth it to make 13 alternate FZ6-forum accounts just to make this a tougher decision for you, lol.

Back