Fzs6yb?

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting an fz6 soon and a local dealer has a new 09 fzs6yb I'm considering. Just wondering what the S and YB stand for. Have not been able to crack the code by searching.

Also new here and to riding. Just finished my msf coarse. Was looking at hondas cbr250, but after riding some different bikes definitely like the sport standard style and a 250s too small and don't need an fz1's or cb1000r's power.

Thanks.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate and :welcome:

Not sure what the YB stands for ,but the S is for the faired model ,if it was a naked it would have an N.

Yb means not for yung bucks...the fz especially brand new fz is too much bike for beginners. Get a 250 i know you think its too.small but the fz aint much bigger.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2007 FZ6 a few months ago and this is my first bike. I love it. I have not open throttled it, but it does have significant power to it. I think that I would not be satisfied with a 250. I did toy with the idea of purchasing a smaller cc bike. I saw too many on craigslist that the owners had the bike for 2 months and already wanted a larger cc. You also have to think that with smaller bikes if someone pulls out in front of you or you need to pass in a hurry will they be able to provide the power? The important thing is to ride smart, I am a nurse who works in the ICU and we see our fair share of horrific wreaks. Almost all involve alcohol and poor decision. Stay smart, stay vertical!

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, the s makes sense since it has the windscreen and headlight fairing, wasnt sure. I'm doubting yb stands for young buck though. Not much more than a 250 and too much to handle are contradicting. And reviews and forums say its a good starter bike despite the cc. I wouldn't go new if it wasn't for the fact its only $1k more than the cbr250 I was looking at before I started riding.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yall should really read that thread that mas made exactly for.this argument, basicly it all boils down to.the first timer will make any excuse to justify the purchase of a 600 yes.there has been plenty of people to.do.it but its not reccomend from.anyone

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive never read an actual "review" that said its a good starter, people who have started on them will tell you that, but no professionals. Please find that post i mentiond before you do anything

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive never read an actual "review" that said its a good starter, people who have started on them will tell you that, but no professionals. Please find that post i mentiond before you do anything

And thread derailed. Looking to find what the yb means.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If your dead set on it why dont you just ask the dealer?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I just tried to call, they don;t open till 10am..

Using my friend Google, I found this...

In 2009 they had 4 FZ6 bikes (and 4 FZ6R bikes but we're not interested in those)

» FZ6 4S8D (FZS6YB)
» FZ6 4S8D0 (FZS6YL)
» FZ6 CA 4S8E (FZS6YCB)
» FZ6 CA 4S8E (FZS6YCL)

From what I understand the C denotes California, so FZS6YB would mean non-California.

So now we have to figure out what the difference is between the B and L. The chassis codes are 4S8D for the L and 4S8D0 for the L. I haven't been able to find anything on those codes other then in parts lookups, but they don't show any difference and from the parts I looked up they are the same.

I'd guess the difference was in the power output of the engine being as they had 2 in 2009, but thie is just a SWAG.

57 kW (77 PS) (76 HP) @ 11,500 rpm for Standard version,
72 kW (98 PS) (97HP) @ 12,000 rpm for S2 version.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting an fz6 soon and a local dealer has a new 09 fzs6yb I'm considering. Just wondering what the S and YB stand for. Have not been able to crack the code by searching.

Also new here and to riding. Just finished my msf coarse. Was looking at hondas cbr250, but after riding some different bikes definitely like the sport standard style and a 250s too small and don't need an fz1's or cb1000r's power.

Thanks.

FZS6 = just the American model number

W = 2007
X = 2008
Y = 2009

C = California emissions

B = black (08-09)
L = blue (07-09)
R = red (07)

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Yb means not for yung bucks...the fz especially brand new fz is too much bike for beginners. Get a 250 i know you think its too.small but the fz aint much bigger.

Ya know, believe it or not, not everyone needs to start out on a 250 or a Ninja 500. :rolleyes: That stereotype is really, really old and tired.

Amazing as this may be, my FZ has NEVER gone any faster than I wanted it to. Chalk it up to my incredible ability to control my wrist, I guess. Just because it has ~90hp at 10,000 or so RPM doesn't mean you have to use it all. This is my 2nd bike, and I'd say it's smoother and easier to ride than my old XJ700, which was a great first bike. If you don't have the maturity or control to keep from getting out of hand on a bike with "no bottom end", you probably shouldn't be riding.

Now the new part... well, I'm biased. I've never purchased any vehicle new, I probably never will, I think it's a giant waste of money. Especially for a bike, where you can do a lot of damage to it easily, or just decide riding isn't for you. Then you're taking a 30% or so hit in value, or more if you did some damage to it. I say buy a used bike for about half the price, but then again someone has to buy the new ones so people like me have used ones to choose from. :D

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweeet mystery solved, thanks guys. Yeah I wasn't looking for new but its a "new" 09 they want off the floor for 2012s and end of the season, so priced appropriately. And unlike a 250 I plan to keep it for awhile.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
First and foremost :welcome: to the forum!

With regard to your question on the meaning of the Y and B/C Designation. I will begin by saying I don't know, but I do think in means more than color as you will see below. By looking at the specifications in the various 2009 FZ6 Owners Manuals from Yamaha's European and American websites I can say the following, all specs are the same with the exception of the bikes weight and load capacity:

The Y (USA), The HG (Europe), No A/B/C Designation (USA & Europe): Wet Weight; 456 lbs : Max Load Capacity; 419 lbs
The AHG (Europe): Wet Weight; 467 lbs : Max Load Capacity; 408 lbs
The B: Can't find an owners manual that references the B
The YC (USA): Wet Weight; 459 lbs : Max Load Capacity; 417 lbs

For what it's worth, I have ridden dirt bike my entire life, the FZ6 is my first street bike, got it new 5 years ago.

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
57 kW (77 PS) (76 HP) @ 11,500 rpm for Standard version,
72 kW (98 PS) (97HP) @ 12,000 rpm for S2 version.

The HP referenced above is for the restricted Standard version sold outside the US (restricted either as a throttle block or in the ECU, there is a work around to unleash full hp in either case), all US versions S and S2 are rated at:

2004-2006 (S version): 72 kW (98 PS) (97 HP) @ 12,000 rpm : 63.1 N·m (46.5 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm
2007- 2009 (S2 Version): 72 kW (98 PS) (97 HP) @ 12,000 rpm : 63.1 N·m (46.5 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm

The main differences in the US, S and S2 version are the fairing, swingarm, front brakes, weight and height.

Last edited: