FZ6 vs Ninja 650R Insurance Cost

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I was surprised today when I added a Kawasaki Ninja 650R to my insurance policy because they wanted about $400/year more money than they insure my Yamaha FZ6 for. I asked why and they told me that when the run the VIN numbers, the 650R comes up as high performance and the FZ6 does not. My FZ6 is the FZS6Y(C) model.

Anyone ever race a Ninja? Did you win?

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed similar results when I was debating on the 650R vs. FZ6 a few months ago. I do know that a 650R only puts around 70HP to the ground so it seems a bit odd that they would rate it so much higher than a FZ6. My guess would be that its a higher risk vehicle considering its more appealing to the younger riders because of its full fairing. And as for the fact that its 50cc's higher, ive heard from several people that most if not all insurance companys go by the class the bike is in (ie. super sport, cruiser) and rate accordingly. I am sure of though that State Farm does not, they go strictly by value and engine size. Although I never got an actual quote, my agent had told me that as long as the values were similar, the extra 50cc on the ninja would do little to the premium. I guess they have levels of cc's where they up the premium significantly just like age groups?

Definatly check out State Farm though, may not be as much of a hike in premium.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot depends on the Plastic .... full fairing bikes are more expensive to fix when they crash. 50cc doesn't mean it's going to be more expensive .... rates are set on claim history, intended market (new or experienced riders, expected age, etc) and other factors.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I was surprised today when I added a Kawasaki Ninja 650R to my insurance policy because they wanted about $400/year more money than they insure my Yamaha FZ6 for. I asked why and they told me that when the run the VIN numbers, the 650R comes up as high performance and the FZ6 does not. My FZ6 is the FZS6Y(C) model.

Anyone ever race a Ninja? Did you win?

$400 more?? How much more? How's the driving record? How old are you? I pay less than $400/year for full coverage on my FZ6 and my Ducati Monster.

Definitely shop around. Even if you can't get a lower rate.. peace of mind from knowing you aren't being hosed is worth a couple phone calls.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
wow.
try esurance, which actually gets its moto insurance from progressive. that was really low for me.
in the midatlantic, there's riders insurance, which is extremely low.....

is the kawi brand new?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance companies are stupid when it comes to this sort of thing. But sometimes you can get lucky and find a company that will do something like insure an R6 in the same bracket as a GSX650F.

But more often than not it ends up screwing you over.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance companies are smart but to take away money from you.

Here in my country there is actually just one company that allows a ninja 650 r (kawasaki er-6f in europe), the rest don't because "it is a superbike" :spank:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd go with mcgraw insurance. I'm at $560 a year with full coverage and the accident they had to pay out for. Liability only was like $80 a year tho.

Just keep in mind, it's going to take like a month if you file a claim with them. But they seem to pay out higher than other places too.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd go with mcgraw insurance. I'm at $560 a year with full coverage and the accident they had to pay out for. Liability only was like $80 a year tho.

Just keep in mind, it's going to take like a month if you file a claim with them. But they seem to pay out higher than other places too.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
You have to shop around, not every insurance company rates the same. I'm considering a zx-14 for my next bike and while many companies do rate by displacement only that's not the rule. I had quotes for a 2008 zx14 that were less than for my 2008 fz6 (always pulled quotes for both at the same time, to see their logic).

Insurance companies + motorcycles == absolute bananas. You just have to keep shopping around until you find the right mix of coverage and expense. I've had GEICO ask me for $3k/year to insure a bike that Nationwide only asks $600 for. It's a matter of persistence.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, it has to do with the type of bike it is. The insurance companies do research on things like what age groups are buying what, accidents in catigories of type pf bike, age group, etc.. Everything is fed into a database and the rates are spit out. The FZ6 falls under Sport Tourer, vs the Ninja falling under Super Sport.(I know, I know) Just the way it is.

Oh, and to answere your question, the FZ6 will absolutely destroy a Ninja 650!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometime I'm surprised by the differences. I deal with insurance quotes all the time (granted, not on the property & casualty side... or individual for that matter), but most of the ones i deal with the big names usually come in pretty close.

Geico just refused to quote me, Progressive came in at almost $600 a year -- i just went with it. It's since dropped to $400 something.