FZ6 Steering head bearing went bad

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct that is the upper bearing. In general I would agree with you that moisture did not flow past that bearing. However, there was a flat rubber washer or seal (maybe to function as something of a seal as it is about the same size as the top bearing) directly below the top bearing. On the top and bottom there was rust on the shaft. The hole in the center of the washer/seal fit tightly enough around the shaft so that there was no rust where it touched the shaft just above and below. Where the upper bearing inner race fits on the shaft, it is a smaller diameter. The washer/seal was at the bottom os that section. Should have taken photos!!! The upper bearing had a lot of grease and looked to have been greased at least once before. When I adjusted the bearings I "slopped" some grease on the bearing. I think my bike is an early 2004 as the original owner purchased it in mid February 2004. I have thought about making a shield for the lower triple clamp by fastening a metal sheet to the horn bracket which would be bent back under the bottom of the triple clamp and would protect it from wind blown water. Also wonder about the seal between the frame halves. Lots of questions.

laslone

Reaction score
Visit site
mine are bad too, will my warranty cover?

My stearing bearings went bad last week and ive only owned the bike for two weeks. I bought the bike used from Barneys in ST pete. They were supposed to have the bike checked out. I purchased the extended yammaha warranty, will this cover this problem or no? Its a 2006 yammaha fz6

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum laslone!

I'd have them replace those bearings extended warranty or not. That's kind of a short term to have those bearings go bad and they sent out a bike like that?
If you have to have that done you might as well get the fork oil changed while it's appart...:rockon:

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
What size is number 2 (Nut) on this diagram? I will try to tighten the steering assembly for now...My bike wobbles on deceleration between speeds of 56-61 mph, just coasting, without applying brakes. I've had the bike for less than a year, the stealership is refusing to even check it or do something to fix the problem. The Manager told me that he guarantees that if i purchase a new front tire at a discounted price, he'll guarantee that the wobble will go away. But for how long again? The Service guy even said" Maybe you just make too much left hand turns, that's why your tires are more worn out on the left side" I just gave him the look at that point. My bike is less than a year old. I regret buying my bike from this Stealership.......

So for those people who have ordered the All Balls and you should have got them by now, did the roller bearings come with new bearing innner (#12) and outer (#16) races? In other words, part # 22-1004 comes with everything to change out the stock bearings?

12619d1233889989-fz6-steering-head-bearing-went-bad-steering-head.jpg

Can someone provide a picture of what all came with the above part number?

Thanks.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: mine are bad too, will my warranty cover?

Shoot, they should, if you bought the Ext. Warranty , right? But like what I said in my post on top, my bike is less than a year old, and they make you feel that they don't want to take care of the problem. They're telling me all kinds of BS, and blame it on me as a Neglect on my part.....

Me & my family were there last October, nice. Clearwater Beach......

My stearing bearings went bad last week and ive only owned the bike for two weeks. I bought the bike used from Barneys in ST pete. They were supposed to have the bike checked out. I purchased the extended yammaha warranty, will this cover this problem or no?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone should photocopy a nut so we can match a tool to it! :thumbup:

Or measure the ID, OD, depth, spacing, angle, cut area, and fillet area, leaving a cad drawing.... so we can find a suitable tool! :rolleyes:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read with dread the steering head bearing problems, as I'm getting my FZ6-S Monday or Tuesday this week.

Can anybody from OzVegas verify they have seen/experienced the problem with the steering head bearings?

Is this something that should be changed when I get the bike?

(Is there anybody willing to help me do it, for a nominal fee?)

I look forward to your responses!

Cheers,
Rick

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
The odo just turned over 19,000 on my '06. No signs of any trouble just yet but I am going to take it apart and grease the head bearing over the winter. Of all the problems in this thread, I guess just count me as lucky.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a another theory about why the bottom bearing rusts first:

As the bike heats and cools closed spaces collect moisture during the cooling process. Having no barriers to prevent air travel inward to this cavity; the moisture pools on the frame and stem and when started, the vibes shake it down and saturate the lower bearing. Rust begins when the lube fails to protect the bearings.

The fault in this line of thinking; is that all bikes that sit out and go through larger range temperature swings at a given local (some areas routinely have higher humidity than others) would suffer the same fate based on heat cycles. < Seems unlikely so there must be more to it!

Of course the more simple line is water blows in from top and bottom and kills them. The grease monkey slacked and didn't do his job so every other one produced by Man X123 will fail - haha!

Perhaps a poll:
ALL weather rides & Stored outside & bearings Failed!
Fair weather rides only Stored outside & bearings Failed!
ALL weather rides & Stored Inside & bearings Failed!
Fair weather rides only Stored Inside & bearings Failed!

ALL weather rides & Stored outside & bearings Good!
Fair weather rides only Stored outside & bearings Good!
ALL weather rides & Stored Inside & bearings Good!
Fair weather rides only Stored Inside & bearings Good!

I pressure wash it with 250PSI and blast the whole bike! They FAILED!
Whats a head bearing? - I clicked to look at bike p o r n. . .

Last edited: