FZ6 (S1) naked to fazer conversion

elikratos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I guess this is my first topic here so please be patient with me :)

I have noticed lots of guys converting their Fazers to the naked version, which is great but it seems I'm going the opposite direction. I wish converting my naked 2005 FZ6 into a faired (Fazer) one.

Now, just to see how difficult this could become, please let me know the differences between the 2 versions (the ones going naked traveled the same steps the other way around). I mean electrical (i.e. front lights), bodywork (i.e. mounting points) and so on.

Your kind input is highly appreciated!

Regards,
Elian

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no experience in this but to me it seems that going from naked to faired will be much easier than going naked.

The fairing mounting points are there, if you have the parts just bolt them on. I guess the dual headlight has a different wiring arrangement but that must be about it.

The only issue would be money as a fairing, double headlight, mirrors etc won't be cheap.

Now I expect dozens of people to prove me wrong!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, I guess this is my first topic here so please be patient with me :)

I have noticed lots of guys converting their Fazers to the naked version, which is great but it seems I'm going the opposite direction. I wish converting my naked 2005 FZ6 into a faired (Fazer) one.

Now, just to see how difficult this could become, please let me know the differences between the 2 versions (the ones going naked traveled the same steps the other way around). I mean electrical (i.e. front lights), bodywork (i.e. mounting points) and so on.

Your kind input is highly appreciated!

Regards,
Elian
Nice one! We need more faired bikes IMHO! :) The parts WILL be expensive. You way want to slowly collect second-hand/cheap ones on Ebay and get them resprayed a cool new colour. Yamaha prices will be crazy expensive. I'm pretty sure someone posted a parts list on here somewhere. Search around...

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
May be we can exchange the parts.
I want to make a naked S1 conversion to my 2005 S1 Fazerr these days..
Just an idea. :rolleyes:

elikratos

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, Happy New Year to all of you! Should you have a fantastic 2011!

Thanks for your thoughts & inputs.

@Fazil: That sounds like a great idea. I see you are from Turkey, fairly close to my location. Another good thing, we both own S1 versions.

Which are the parts we are talking about? From my side, I guess the headlight unit, the mirrors, the turn signals and... ? I also have the Barracuda windshield, freshly installed, could be a part of the package. What else?

From your side... ?

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes we are very close. I live in Istanbul.
I attached some pictures.
I have the puig racing wind screen also.
The fairings and all parts are in very good condition except a crack in the left grey plastic.

picture013wm.jpg

3026fz8.jpg

Do you have some pictures?

elikratos

Reaction score
Visit site
@Segue00: Funny thought :thumbup: We said we are fairly close to each other in terms of location, but nothing like we live in the same country. So bike swapping is a bit on the fantasy side. Nevertheless we may just have a crush on our bikes so exchanging them may be again out of the question. Mods are welcome though. It's like you encourage your spouse to pay a visit to a beauty salon to turn blond for example (you may even pay for it) but you are not willing to trade her for a different blond woman :D

@Fazil: For pics (at some point the Barracuda windshield steps in) please check my album "My Iwata Cat" (Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - elikratos's Album: My Iwata Cat). All parts are in like-new shape (bike only has ~13k km), maybe some minor scratches on the back of the mirrors (on the metal side) coming from washing or dust / gravel being thrown up when riding...

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike looks very nice.
By the way, i like Yamaha windshield more than barracuda.
I checked the post price, and it looks like $50-60 to Romania for 10kg weight.

I am a bit confused about changing to naked. I can miss the fairings after i go naked may be :)

elikratos

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike looks very nice.
By the way, i like Yamaha windshield more than barracuda.
I checked the post price, and it looks like $50-60 to Romania for 10kg weight.

I am a bit confused about changing to naked. I can miss the fairings after i go naked may be :)

The Yamaha screen was one of the finalists at the time I decided to purchase a windscreen but I gave up on that one due to the mean, badass look of the Barracuda. Nevertheless Barracuda is slightly smaller and I never wanted a bigger, touring-like screen for my naked 'cat' :cheer:

Shipping cost doesn't scare me, it seems reasonable...

The big question is the one that confuses you - keep it faired (Fazer) or go naked (FZ6N)? That's one thing you need to find out for yourself.

I would say that clarifying your riding habits, preferences, expectations might be helpful.
I mean if you mostly travel longer distances on highways / express roads, maybe with a pillion, at steady high speeds, than the faired version would be better because of the wind protection.
If you prefer riding shorter distances (also in town), on twisty roads, fighting your way at various speeds, if you enjoy the pure lines of a naked bike and especially the beautiful frame of the FZ6, than the FZ6N could be your answer.
But again, the decision stays with you. Personally, I am more than happy with my 'cat' but I started looking for better wind protection as I prefer touring to Vienna instead of streetfighting the curvy mountain roads around my city :thumbup: