fz6 right for a 50+

jetn 77

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I am a newbee 52 years old and have been riding a Honda 650 Nighthawk but I think it is time to upgrade and get into a bike built in the current century. I have read the magazines and thought I wanted an SV 650 but my son just bought one and I rode it 100 miles last week and I do not like that much lay down style. He took me to a Yamaha dealer and I sat on on fz6 and liked the feel much more. Am I nuts or are there any other other old guys out there that can give me some advice. The salesman was not much interested in giving me a 100 mile test ride on 3 year old bike. Thanks

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Visit site
I just turned 55 (shhhhhhh) and bought an '09 for my birthday present. I've only put 200 km (120 mi) on it so far, but I'm thinking it's going to be a great bike for me. It's my 9th bike and I've had bikes from 100cc up to a 900cc bike. The FZ has a nice riding position, not too aggressive, but not as upright as a cruiser. I'm looking forward to weekend trips with the bike.

Soooo, I guess what I'm saying is, 50+ is still ok for this bike.

BTW....old is a state of mind :innocent:

Last edited:

jetn 77

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the support. Its good to know there other guys out there still riding bikes other than Harley's or their clones. I grew up on Yamaha on they have always been my favorite. However I do like my Honda because it responds well if you push it to the limit or if you drive it like your grandma would.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
55+ here and just got back to sportbikes with an FZ6 after trying to "act my age" with a V Star cruiser. For me the FZ was the right choice for a bike to come back to. It's relatively light weight, it's got a comfortable riding position for an old guy like me, docile under 7,000 rpm but when you get over the 7k rpm still has that excitement that makes you feel young. :BLAA:
And it's got a great bunch of people on this forum that always have helpful advice to boot!:thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'll hit 49 this year..... if anything the seat/footpeg spacing is a slight bit cramped. I liked my FZ6 quite a bit. Had a V 65 Sabre years ago, and rode a 700 Nighthawk on occasion. The FZ is a very nearly neutral UJM with modern design.

The only thing I would caution you about, is you need to PROGRESSIVELY apply the front brakes. Stab at the lever suddenly, and it will skid the front tire. Squeeze hard, over a second..... that gives the suspension time to compress, and apply pressure to the front wheel. THAT is when you can get maximum braking.....

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I am a newbee 52 years old and have been riding a Honda 650 Nighthawk but I think it is time to upgrade and get into a bike built in the current century. I have read the magazines and thought I wanted an SV 650 but my son just bought one and I rode it 100 miles last week and I do not like that much lay down style. He took me to a Yamaha dealer and I sat on on fz6 and liked the feel much more. Am I nuts or are there any other other old guys out there that can give me some advice. The salesman was not much interested in giving me a 100 mile test ride on 3 year old bike. Thanks

<TINA TURNER> (badly misquoted :BLAA: )
"What's AGE got to do with it....oh, oh...what's AGE got to do with it???"

</TINA TURNER> (haven't stopped the bad stuff though :D )

54 YOUNG here and still loving my "fizzy wig" :D In fact, went out for a ride yesterday (BBBbbbbrrrrrr - good thing I had my down vest and Gore Tex skiing stuff on) and started appreciating the higher RPM in the lower gear thing. Only "minus" for me is the seat but I think a Russel "Day Long" custom seat is in the works within the next 2 months and then...

WooHOOOO

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Only 49. But the riding position is one of the reasons I select the FZ6. I'm 6 foot. The bike is light, agile, very easy to turn. Don't let all the young sportbike riders fool you. Many times, they too complain about how uncomfortable laying over the tank can be on a medium or longer ride.

I understand the dealers not letting you take a new bike for a ride, but I did not have a hard time getting them to let me take a used one for a ride. I ultimately bought a new bike, but when looking I just told the dealer I would never consider buying a used bike with taking it for a ride (assuming of course you have your bike license). I think if your serious, they would be too.

I've also seen a few FZ6s where the rider has addition risers on the handlebars to give them even more upright feel.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I crossed into the decade back on the 17th - and have had an FZ for two years now. My wife doesn't understand at all, but I'm having a ball!!

Happy trails:

Jay

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a Vulcan 750, KZ750, Concours, another Vulcan 750 and now the FZ. It's the most comfortable and perfectly balanced of the bunch. Oh yeah, I'm 56.:rockon:

chas54

Reaction score
Visit site
At 54 I bought a used 2006 FZ6, 2 years later and 16000 miles it still fits. The only change I did was put a puig w/s on for a little more wind protection. I thinking about handle bar riser for this year before I take a trip out east in Aug. The trip is 6 days and 2000 miles. I'm 5'10"at 170

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fifty Three and I wouldn't trade my FZ6 for any other two wheel machine.
It's so enjoyable to go riding on this. Very much fun factor. :thumbup::thumbup:

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
10 years your junior, I had a SV650, that is now owned by my insurance company. I love my FZ6 that replaced the SV.

When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be 49 this year too.

Okay, I was a bit younger when I bought my Fazer, it will be 6 years old at the end of April but it was my first bike after a 20 year drought and I have not regretted my decision for one day.