FZ6 no longer, moved to an R6

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
And what a bike it is!

Put 70 miles on it in the freezing cold weather up here in Michigan. First things you notice compared to the FZ6 are how smooth the bike is. Throttle control is amazing, and the slipper clutch is worth every penny. With the fizzer I wouldn't go below 2nd gear unless I was in a parking lot so the snatchy throttle wouldn't send you into the woods. The R6 is way better. Getting into a "15 mph" corner and drop it straight into 1st, drop the clutch, no wheel hop, and right back on the throttle without any abruptness.

The bad, holy cow the grip angle & height sucks. And the suspension is stiff! I set the sag (did I mention that it's great to have adjustable suspension?), and tweaked in the compression and rebound based on Sport Rider's suggestions. It's too rough for the roads up here in Michigan. I'm going to have to back off the compression a few clicks for the road. I replaced the clip ons with Vortex 0deg, and I can already tell it's going to work better. The hand position is much closer to the drag bars I had on the FZ, albeit much lower.

Can't wait to get it to the track this spring. And I'm headed down to Deals Gap the end of March for a season opener trip. :rockon:

picture.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations man! Nice bike! It wasn't bad enough that I have the fever. You had to show me your new ride. Ha! You and Cali rider (John) All the best!

Edit: Is that snow flakes coming down in the pic?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking bike! You're going to have a blast with it.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the new r6 is an amazing bike. I would have gotten one when I got my fz6 however I am 240pds and only 5' 10" thus meaning im too fat to ride one comfortably..... Enjoy! i love the look!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that bike so much. I was so close to getting one, even test drove it twice and then I had knee surgery. No more sport bikes for me. But Yamaha makes the best in my opinion, love the R6 to death.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. Wouldn't have caught me running around on these Michigan roads at this time of the year though. I have a buddy who just wrecked his r6 yesterday due to a lack of traction when braking. Most likely the salt residue on the road combined with being rusty from the off time.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice bike! Should be a lot of fun for you!:D I love that paint scheme:)

On a side note, may I ask how tall you are? I'm 6'2" and didn't feel too comfortable on the R6..

Ride safe dude:)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice looking bike, but i can't ride R6's for very long, i have tried because i love them, but just can't do it with my back...

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
How does it compare to the FZ6? Is it much quicker?

I read somewhere peak torque on the FZ6 is 10,000rpm which is pretty high, but then I saw it was similar on the R6.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that is snow flakes falling in the picture.

The bike feels much faster than the FZ. Not sure if it's due to the reduced weight (50lbs lighter), gearing or powerband. Maybe I'm just not accustomed to the speed after the winter?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The bike feels much faster than the FZ. Not sure if it's due to the reduced weight (50lbs lighter), gearing or powerband. Maybe I'm just not accustomed to the speed after the winter?

I think it's all of the above. I took my bike out this weekend and scared the bejezus out of myself.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site

I love the part about "after the winter". The 10 inches on my deck and the winterized bike in the garage tell me it's still winter here. I guess I need to man-up and take a ride. Inspired by a man from Up-North.... a sad day for a buckeye.:bow: