FZ6 newb maintenance/mechanical question

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6. Just inside/behind the rear brake lever are three tubes zip-tied together that just hang down free. I was giving the bike a wash and notice a spot of oil underneath. Had a look and it was obvious the oil was from one of the tubes. What are the three tubes and is this normal? I've tried finding them in a service manual but haven't been able to ID them.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I found them ... the fuel tank breather and drain hoses, and the coolant reservoir tank breather hose? One of the three, not sure which, definitely dripped some oil or other fluid onto the driveway. Looked like oil, but might have been something else I suppose.

Normal?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I found them ... the fuel tank breather and drain hoses, and the coolant reservoir tank breather hose? One of the three, not sure which, definitely dripped some oil or other fluid onto the driveway. Looked like oil, but might have been something else I suppose.

Normal?

It was more then likely coolent and if it was its normal for a little dripping

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Normally mine does not drip however I filled up with gas last night then road home, less than a mile and road this morning about a mile. The bike was outside in the sun and the tank heated up. It was dripping gas but after riding a few miles I parked it in my garage with no drip. I would be concerned about oil. Sometimes there may be a drop or two of coolant after riding in really hot weather.

If I wash the bike in the evening and then put it inside on the center stand without going for a ride first, the following morning when I take it outside and park it with the kickstand, it will drip a good amount of water that seems to accumulate in the radiator fins.

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all! I was just back from a ride so the engine was plenty warm. I'll assume it was coolant. It was just black(ish)/dirty looking, so it looked like oil.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all! I was just back from a ride so the engine was plenty warm. I'll assume it was coolant. It was just black(ish)/dirty looking, so it looked like oil.

Your coolent could be dirty. Have you checked it?

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
Your coolent could be dirty. Have you checked it?

I haven't, but I'll take a look. I just picked the bike up a month ago, and the shop I bought it from safety'd it and got it road ready, so I would hope it is Ok. But who knows. I'm a complete newb on self-maintenance, but hoping to learn as I go. Maybe I'll run it out to the local Yamaha shop.

Thx.