FZ6 must go

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
I could try that, but to go through all of this just to ride a bike I probably should not have bought after trying 2 other sportbikes is just wrong.

But, I would like someone to put up a link that I can't seem to find about those riser extensions. I think they're ugly as heck, but perhaps if I powder coat everything black, it won't be such an eye sore. I did try the FZ1 bars, and they jut made it worse, BUT with the riser extensions, it might do the trick along with a lowered seat. I do like the look of a straight bar better anyway, but I couldn't get the tank clearance sorted out.

- T.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing you should try is adjusting the angle of your clutch lever etc so that your hands are angled down when on them - not up. This will definitely put pressure on your wrists if you're hands are forced upwards from the downwards angle your arms are at everytime you want to brake or change gear.

Don't forget that you can get up and back risers AND straight up risers. The straight up risers look better IMHO and you can get upto 5cm (although that may need brake lines etc extending. There are also two different styles of up and back riser (SW-Motech and Genmar if I remember).

Good luck dude.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Sanger...
Yeah, I've tried it all. I didn't know Gen Mar made riser for this application. I hope they match better than those SW-Motechs. Those things are just nasty looking. Ewww...:eek:
I'm going to do a search on the Gen Mar right...NOW!

Okay...I found them both. I'd prefer the GenMar as they just go up, and they seem to look a little better, though they still don't match. They might be part of a solution to this mess I've created. Believe me, if it does somehow end up working out, I'll be happy to stick with it. I'd like to try those risers with the FZ1 bars I just got. I still hate the bend of the stock bar.

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks man, reminds me of problems I had a few years ago.

Left knee would swell up like a balloon, I had real difficulty bending the knee for riding. I thought it may be down to be on the bike (cold, cramped etc). Had all sorts of hospital investigations and even had cortozone injections.

Turned out to be my Renault car causing all the problems. As I am tall, and the car was small my left leg had to bend funny to work the clutch. Changed cars and problem solved almost overnight.

Hope you get sorted.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can't make the FZ6 comfortable consider a Triumph. I had a 2000 Legend & wish I had it now. It was better for me as I too am vertically challenged :) Several of their bikes are considered 'standard' style, upright riding position and the pegs more centered not forward like the cruisers. Mine handled much like the FZ and surprised many a sportbike rider off the line as I left them behind :D Rode the Gap with a friend on a VTX, he kept scraping hard parts and sent me on ahead then later took my bike for a Gap ride. I'm not sure which model is closest to the Legend (they quit buildin em:( )but I'm sure the dealer could tell you. Good luck

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
sit on the last get triumph tiger. i loved mine and it would still hang with the old honda 919 that i had. if your arms are long enough it sat straight and was comfy (but i am a bit taller and the tiger is a tall bike) hope you find somthing that works for ya

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely don't have money for any trade-ins now. They're selling brand new FZ6's for $5k in this local area. Ridiculous.
Anyway, part of my problem is no doubt my height, or lack thereof. I'm 5'6" tall with not very long arms and legs. Everything that isn't a cruiser is a big reach forward, and even some cruisers are a reach for me.
Scraping hard parts on a VTX is way too easy. Honda is too stupid to simply raise their pegs up an inch or two on their cruisers. Nope, they just keep all their stuff the same and watch their sales go down. Real smart. I like the VTX, but pa-leeze, the pegs are way too low and the bike is 100 lbs. too heavy.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Those bars are a nice idea, but the center isn't wide enough. There's some bars I may have to try at the dealer, but they're $65. Looks like they're dirt bike bars with the cross brace that I'd have to take off. Yeah, called dealers about my options, and none of them are even close to feasible. I made the bed, and looks like I'm stuck in it now. Now, don't get me wrong boyz n' girlz, it's me and NOT the bike. This is a fine motorcycle. I'm in the best shape of my life at almost 40 yrs old, but my hands do not like this bike at all. But, I'm going to have to learn to live with it and grin and bear it when my cruiser riding friends are scraping their pegs. I'll have to learn to just smile through the pain and say, 'yeah, my hands hurt bad, but YOUR PEGS ARE GONE.'
I'm going to try to get a deal out of Corbin as well. Perhaps if they can make me a great seat that's lower by about an inch, it may help as well.
I don't really know what to do, but I can't just give away $4k because sportbikes can't hold any value. To get a cruiser back means coming up with another $6-7k. I just can't do it, and it really pisses me off. But, you guys will talk me through it, and hopefully I'll get the joy back.

I don't really know any of you, but the words mean a lot. Forums are good at these times, and having biker brothers to encourage is a good thing.
Thanks again.

- Troy

Dirt bike bars are what I have and work great for me.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, sorry the FZ6 isn't working out for you. But I understand. You mention all that money for a new cruiser... there's less expensive and fast options out there. Try the Yamaha V-Star 1100 custom. It's only $9200 new. That FZ6 should sell for about $6k to the right person. Not a lot of loss especially if you sell the mods and return the bike to stock.

Good luck and stick around, no matter what you buy!

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried riding with a wrist brace? I had the same problem with my wrist hurting after about 20 minutes of riding and the brace really, really helps!! You can pick one up for around $12.00 at any Wal-Mart or Walgreens.

Hope whatever you decide works out for you; the bike truly is a great machine to ride!!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd also try having someone watch how you sit when you ride. I found a lot of issues is from a weird posture on bikes. I have wrist issues from prior sports and I find the FZ6 and 1 amazing for no pain. Don't clench the bar too tight, and try to use more of your upper arm. Hope something will help you.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
HEEEEYAH, I've been looking at dirt bike bars too! I already ordered the set of GenMar riser extensions and was going to try the FZ1 bar I got with those AND I was going to get a set of dirt bike bars as a backup plan. I'm also trying to talk someone I know at Corbin into getting me a little break on a lowered seat. $439 is a bit much. I don't know how well the Top Saddlery would suit me, but I've always loved Corbins and their firm padding.
FZ in NH, I'm trying to sell for about $6k, but no bites thus far. Tough times, I guess. They had my VTX sold within a few days at the dealer I traded at. I wish I had that kind of visibility. They won't do consignment either. I wouldn't consider any cruiser smaller than a 1600. I just have this real problem riding a bike that can't do a 1/4 mile in less than 13 seconds. Those V-Stars are nice, but they're dogs. After riding Magnas, a big ol' 1800 and a couple 600 sportbikes, there's no way I could go that route. It looks like I'll just have to stay the course and buy stuff to try and help, and if it sells, I'll part out the stuff I bought. Maybe I'll try that wrist brace, because I don't grip the bars hard. The stock bars do put my hands at a very unnatural angle.

I've put the bike in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.

- T.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok folks, looks like it's time for the FZ6 to go. I've tried quite a few things, and followed advice wherever I could. It's just not the right bike for me, apparently. I really do like it otherwise.
I'm taking off parts tonight. I will have new Race Tech fork springs (.090 kg),
Power Commander, K&N air filter and an FZ1 bar. All these parts have been on the bike 3 weeks or less. All are in new condition, so please, no lowball offers.
The Power Commander I paid $320 for, the springs $100, K&N was $45.
The FZ1 bar has a clean hole drilled for the controls at the perfect distance. I just got that last week and had it on the bike for about 1 hour.
You can email me at troyw@etcmail with questions, and I can take some pics. You can also feel free to call at 770-757-3384.

Thanks all.

Troy