FZ6 Comparison Questions

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
In the process of upgrading from a Ninja 500 to a slightly larger, fuel injected bike.

I’ve narrowed it down to the FZ6, FZ6R, and the GSX650F.

Before winter really set in I was able to test ride a GSX650F and found the engine, clutch and transmission to be very smooth across the entire rev range I used (only went up to about 9k RPM on test ride). The bike is a bit on the large side and may be a bit of a challenge to maneuver it to where I park near my office in Boston.

With that in mind I am also considering the smaller FZ6 and FZ6R.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on how the similar characteristics (engine, transmission, ect.) of those bikes (2008 FZ6 and 09/10 FZ6R) compare to the 08/09 GSX650F and each other?

I also on the larger side (about 270 pounds) so if anyone in that weight range has experience on any of the above bikes I would be interested to hear about it.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

All I can add is I went from a '99 Ninja 500 to the FZ6 and was definitely pleased with it. Haven't riddin those other bikes though. My personal bias is anything but Suzuki, but for no real reasons.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
In the process of upgrading from a Ninja 500 to a slightly larger, fuel injected bike.

I’ve narrowed it down to the FZ6, FZ6R, and the GSX650F.

Before winter really set in I was able to test ride a GSX650F and found the engine, clutch and transmission to be very smooth across the entire rev range I used (only went up to about 9k RPM on test ride). The bike is a bit on the large side and may be a bit of a challenge to maneuver it to where I park near my office in Boston.

With that in mind I am also considering the smaller FZ6 and FZ6R.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on how the similar characteristics (engine, transmission, ect.) of those bikes (2008 FZ6 and 09/10 FZ6R) compare to the 08/09 GSX650F and each other?

I also on the larger side (about 270 pounds) so if anyone in that weight range has experience on any of the above bikes I would be interested to hear about it.

Seriously, get the FZ6. I'm basically your size and my 06 is very comfortable. I upgraded the seat and made it even more comfy! My last bike was a GS500F and the switch to the FZ was very easy. The FZ has much more power than your 500, but it's manageable. I thought it was a littlle 'choppy' when I first test drove it, but I got used to the clutch after a week of riding it. The GSX650F is heavy and gets terrible reviews. I've never actually seen one ridden by anyone, so I don't have first hand knowledge. The FZ6R has I believe 20 hp less than the regular FZ6. I have not ridden it, however the people I know that have had it, don't have it long. The people I know that have an FZ6, love ther bike and have had it for years. The best part about the FZ6 for a guy moving up from his beginner, is that you can find one for cheap. I got my 06 last year for $3600 with only 1500 miles on it and it was in perfect condition. Besides, the dual undertail exhaust is much cooler! :D

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned 3 Suzukis (Bandit 600, GSX750F and SV650S). They were all good, reliable bikes, apart from a failed Rec/Reg on the SV650S. However, when I got the FZ6 I realised how budget the components of the Suzukis are. The engines and gear boxes were great, but everything else was cheap, heavy or inferior.

Love the FZ6 though, highly recommended :thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Where in MA are you from? I live in Worcester but am currently working and living in Providence for a few more months.
My dad has the Ninja 500 so I can throw my opinion in here. The FZ6 is bigger, heavier, and more powerful than the Ninja 500. It is also smoother, more refined, and better for touring. The handling is not as nimble as the Ninja 500 and it takes a bit more effort to throw it around corners. Try to test drive one before you buy it.

chucknorris

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure on the Gsx650 but I own a FZ6 2008 now and love it!! I have had these bikes in the past Yamaha 250 exciter,Honda Cb900,suzuki Maurauder 800,Suzuki Boulavard 800,Yamaha 1300 tourer and currently own a2005 Honda Goldwing and a yamaha ttr230 dirt bike..... Now in saying all that I bought the FZ on a whim one day because the price was right and I was courious figuring I would sell it again if I hated it,well I drove almost 2 hours to get it and 2 hours back on the bike and when I stopped for gas i said to my wife this is what I was missing with all the other bikes FUN....

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
Where in MA are you from? I live in Worcester but am currently working and living in Providence for a few more months.
My dad has the Ninja 500 so I can throw my opinion in here. The FZ6 is bigger, heavier, and more powerful than the Ninja 500. It is also smoother, more refined, and better for touring. The handling is not as nimble as the Ninja 500 and it takes a bit more effort to throw it around corners. Try to test drive one before you buy it.

Live in the Franklin area.

I had hoped to test one out before the winter, but wasn't able to find one. Recently talked to a dealer with one in inventory and will most likely have to wait another month or so for the weather and roads to clear before the dealer will let me take it out. Also no guarantee that it would last that long.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't speak to the Suzuki, but I demoed an FZ6R and it's a fine bike. Smooth clutch, power and comfortable. It's designed and marketed for new riders and women. 70HP, 160 rear tire.

The FZ6 is lighter, more powerful, better brakes and swing arm adjusters on the '07+, 180 rear tire, 98HP. The clutch is very on/off especially if it's not well adjusted and lubed. Stock handlebars have an awkward sweep/wrist angle.

You might want to check out the FZ8 also. Good luck w/ your decision.

Dumas

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from a ninja 500 to the FZ6. Yes the 500 is nimbler but i wouldnt say if handles better. The FZ is alot sturdier than the five.have no experience with the other bikes. You are on an FZ6 forum and were all biased...

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has a much better build quality than the Suzuki.

But the Suzuki is great value for money, they always have decent motors, and their gearboxes are the best.

But apart from the gearbox the FZ6 totally blows it away in all areas. No comparison really.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was an EX500, now I have a 07 FZ6 (had a Kawi ZZR-600 in between). My brother has my EX500 now as his first bike. I sat on it for the first time in a while last weekend. I was surprised at how narrower the tank/handlebars on the 500 felt compared to my FZ6. But they are both a lot more comfortable than my Kawasaki was.

The FZ6 is the most powerful of the three you listed, but realistically, all have ample power for street use. The gas mileage between my 500 and the FZ6 is pretty much the same. If you're buying new, you won't be able to get a new FZ6, 09 was the last model year for them. SV650's are also a real popular bike in the class you're looking at.

CamoColton

Reaction score
www.cnyjeep.org
My first bike was an '08 GSX650F. It was a good first bike. Relatively comfortable, reasonably quick, but not too exciting. And was it girthy. Words cannot describe how big that bike actually is. The gearbox was smooth and the hydraulic clutch was very nice. Two summers later I sold the GSX and bought a Victory Vegas.

Summer of 2012 - I found an '09 leftover FZ6 3 hours from my home. I could not refuse. After riding it for a season I know that if I had bought the FZ first, I wouldn't have had the desire to sell it in two years. I straight up love my FZ6. The build quality is much better compared to Suzuki as others have mentioned. Handling is much better too. The center stand is a feature you will never go without once you have one. It's a small thing but oil changes are much easier on the FZ6 compared to the GSX also. The only thing I don't like about it is the clutch feel, but there are ways to fix that.

It's not the most important thing, but like my Victory, the FZ isn't very common in my area and it's nice to have something a little different than the Suzuki's, Honda's and Harley's everyone else rides.

Right now I'm almost considering selling the Victory to buy a Yamaha Grizzly, because it doesn't leave the garage as much as the FZ6 does. :D

Last edited:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak from experience as I've only been here a few days!! and don't even have my first bike yet :D

Though what I can say is that I had the same Dilemma... the Suzuki looked cooler with the fairings, more sports bikey, where as the FZ exhausts sold me (and i learnt on one). I have done a LOT of reading up before buying an FZ6 - the odds were just nowhere near the Suzuki's favour going on other peoples reviews.

You could say I should have test rode both, but as a newly qualified rider I probably wouldn't have got much benefit from that - that's IF I could find someone who'd let me take their Suzuki out (which most dealers near me won't :( )

Hope this helps

Tim

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was an '08 GSX650F. It was a good first bike. Relatively comfortable, reasonably quick, but not too exciting. And was it girthy. Words cannot describe how big that bike actually is. The gearbox was smooth and the hydraulic clutch was very nice. Two summers later I sold the GSX and bought a Victory Vegas.

Summer of 2012 - I found an '09 leftover FZ6 3 hours from my home. I could not refuse. After riding it for a season I know that if I had bought the FZ first, I wouldn't have had the desire to sell it in two years. I straight up love my FZ6. The build quality is much better compared to Suzuki as others have mentioned. Handling is much better too. The center stand is a feature you will never go without once you have one. It's a small thing but oil changes are much easier on the FZ6 compared to the GSX also. The only thing I don't like about it is the clutch feel, but there are ways to fix that. :D

What can be done to improve the clutch feel?

A significant portions of my riding would be highway commute involving a fair amount of stop and go traffic.

Would the lack of low end require significant effort at the low/no speed?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
What can be done to improve the clutch feel?

A significant portions of my riding would be highway commute involving a fair amount of stop and go traffic.

Would the lack of low end require significant effort at the low/no speed?

Killernoodle (forum member here) has a kit that changes the clutch slave lever and allows for a clutch with a wider engagement point and an easier pull. $50 and worth every penny.

I've only done stop and go a few times on the FZ6, and it sucks, but any bike sucks in stop and go. Hell, being in my truck sucks in stop and go.

Grodd70

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden the Suzuki GSX650F or the F6R but I owned a Ninja 650 which is a twin so a bit different type of power. FZ6R and Ninja 650r while different engines do compete against each other in the market.

The difference in power from the FZ6R or Ninja 650 to the FZ6 is about a 20-25 hp jump which may not sound like a lot...it is. The Ninja I had being a twin had a nice long torque band that was very predictable. The FZ6 is really two bikes in one....keep rpms low and she is mellow....whinned her up and it turns very different.

When I first thought of the FZ6 some said it lacks low end power...perhaps if your a super bike racer type then maybe....as a novice I found it still has plenty of low end power, no I can't lug it like the 650 twin or my buddies SV650. but I also don't have to ring it out to get going.....now with that being said.........if you ring the FZ6 up in the RPM range it really does become a totally different animal.

It may not be a full on sport bike but up in the RPM range it is a he** of a lot more sport bike then bigger newbie. I love the bike but I would NEVER recommend it as a first bike.

Quality on the bike (fit finish) is very nice for its price point....I agree that the center stand is great for oil changes no more rear stand lift is nice. Personally, I love the FZ6 frame....I just think it looks like art work.

Ride safe

Last edited: