Fz-6 vs fz-1

510danr

Reaction score
Visit site
Any riders compared the handling of the '06- present FZ-1 to FZ-6? I'm sure the Fz-6 is nimbler and I'm wondering if I'd like it. I own an '06 FZ-1 that I enjoy but its rather heavy steering.

nsx276

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 fz6 and I love it... but I want an FZ1 next because I want more power. I never rode one but when I sat on one at the bike show in NYC I liked it a lot.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Any riders compared the handling of the '06- present FZ-1 to FZ-6? I'm sure the Fz-6 is nimbler and I'm wondering if I'd like it. I own an '06 FZ-1 that I enjoy but its rather heavy steering.

Hi 510danr, welcome to the forum. The Fz6 is definitely lighter and easier to flick into corners, but the FZ1 has by far better suspension and brakes. So it's a trade off.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike for bike I think the FZ1 is probabley a better bike, not to take away from the FZ6, I wouldn't trade mine for an FZ1.

FZ6:
Lighter
Better fuel economy
Bigger tank
Has 10mm narrower rear tire (quicker tip in, I guess)
generally much cheaper

FZ1:
40ish% more power
much better suspension (not that the FZ6's suspension is bad)
Still being made
10mm wider rear tire more grip

Personally I doubt that you would notice enough of a difference in the FZ6's weight and rear tire profile to offset the other differences between the two bikes.

510danr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome!

I have an R6 rear rim and run a 180 plus Penski shock and '04 R1 forks. Stock suspension wasn't great, like most bikes. Those mods are easy and I wouldn't hesitate if I had an FZ6.

I reason I ask about the FZ6 is years ago I had a 919 and turned down a ride on a 599 thinking it was lame. A few years later I took a fast ride on that same hornet 599 and was surprised to find it better than my 919 in nearly every way!

Perhaps the FZ6 with the right mods is a more involving, sharper handling bike than the FZ1.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
If you rode the hornet your pretty well rode the FZ6. Those 2 bike are so equal it isn't even funny, with a slight advantage going to the hornet for handling, and the FZ6 supposedly had just a hair more power and slightly more comfy (I think that last part is more rider preference though), not so much that you'd really notice though