FZ-09 compared to the FZ8

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a nice ride for sure. The major improvement is the weight. Other than that both bike are within spec from each other. Not sure if I like the tail of the FZ9 yet... look a bit dirt bike to me and the cluster seams a bit small. I like the good old analog RPM gauge better.

About the few extra HP... a nice set of 07 R1 cams & my mid ship exhaust mod will fix that!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If the rear end doesn't lend itself to strapping saddle bags on for a weekend trip and there are no half faired/windscreen options I would have to pass on this but I LOVE this bike so far!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the rear end doesn't lend itself to strapping saddle bags on for a weekend trip and there are no half faired/windscreen options I would have to pass on this but I LOVE this bike so far!

i am leaning more that way. I do love the FZ6 half fairing and hope they have some options for this in the future.. 2015?? :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
definitely needs some kind of wind protection. an the digi-tach is kinda stupid, if the speedo goes you're screwed, at least with an analog tach you can guess pretty close to how fast you're going if the speedo craps out. the rear light just looks like an afterthought that some little kid glued on, the light itself is cool, but it shouldn't look like a backyard fighter off the assembly line. also the 3.7 gal tank is too small as well.

that said i really like the bike. cant wait for test ride season...

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
definitely needs some kind of wind protection. an the digi-tach is kinda stupid, if the speedo goes you're screwed, at least with an analog tach you can guess pretty close to how fast you're going if the speedo craps out. the rear light just looks like an afterthought that some little kid glued on, the light itself is cool, but it shouldn't look like a backyard fighter off the assembly line. also the 3.7 gal tank is too small as well.

that said i really like the bike. cant wait for test ride season...

I'm not going to argue with you as I MUCH prefer an analog speedo and tach, but us 04-06 guys are rocking an all digital gauge setup, along with quite a few other bikes out there.

I really agree on the fuel tank though. It would have been really nice had they added another gallon capacity to that, unless it gets 60+mpg in the economy mode.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's kinda funny how some of us want to go naked, while others say that they are not interested in the new bike because it doesnt have fairing - just goes to show how versatile FZ6 is - you take it and then you do what you want with it - you can go naked, or you can make a tourer out of it. I wonder if fz-09 forum will have a thread dedicated to "going dressed" - buying an FZ6 fairing and installing it on fz-09. :D

Am I the only one who finds "09" notation at odds with fz6/fz8/fz1 notation? why the preceding zero?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one who finds "09" notation at odds with fz6/fz8/fz1 notation? why the preceding zero?

cuz it sets them apart an makes it "different".. just call it the FZ875 and get it over with!!

i have an 05 and rock the digital tach. i prefer it over the 07-+ style. (or is it 06??) i can read the thing in just about any condition. but i would much rather have a bike with at least half a faring. as much as i love the naked look, i just prefer the faired for long distance.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ875 actually sounds nice.

And I'm def. with you - I prefer fairing. I was considering going naked, but with longer rides, I decided to keep it (plus needed space for HID ballasts)

The FZ09 definitely doesnt look like it will look well with side- and top cases.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The MT-09 I believe comes from their bikes that don't quite fit in a line up like the MT-01. Guessing in the states it replaces the 8 so it then gets the FZ.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do love the fairing on my fz6. As it is, wind on the interstate peels me back; I would definitely consider a taller windscreen. I've always liked naked bikes, but in practice...dat drag!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wouldn't it be nice if there was some way you could make a dis-connectable fairing.. man.. that would be great..

Sounds like a challenge for enthusiasts with tools.

image075.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like the wheels or the Diversion like seat. I would like to see one in the flesh and have a ride. I wouldn't discount owning one without a test ride.
I would prefer a faired version though naked bikes aren't my cup of tea.

Neil

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I love how everyone is commenting on what to do to make it touring-able, or how it would look with luggage on. I believe that they already make those bikes for touring. They're called the FZ6 and the FZ1....

Think about it, for the price of the street triple, you can just get yourself an FZ6 AND an FZ09. :BLAA: