fuel pump not running plz help!!!

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06 fz6 that has not been ridden much in the last year. It was started periodically and I was having my son ride it up and down the road occasionally. The last time he tried to ride it he told me it wouldn't start and the battery needed charged. I put the batt on charge and it spins over fine but when you turn the key on you do not hear the fuel run and it will not start. I am not sure if the fuel pump was working when my son tried to ride it or after I charged the battery. Any ideas?

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm no mechanic by any means, but whenever a vehicle acts a little wonky the first thing i do is disconnect the battery for 5 mins and reconnect and try again...i was told it will reset the computer....hope it helps :confused:

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked all of the fuses including the one on the starter relay and they are all good. Still no luck, I noticed that the headlight is not coming on when I turn the key to run are these on the same circuit? or what.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought ,but what about all the wiring loom connections ,loose or dirty perhaps ?

The headlight wont come on till you start the engine,seeing as you cant start it ........no headlight.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda thought that about the headkight but couldn't remember. Does anyone know how the circuit flows when you turn the key to on? I mean what switchs etc... gets involved with the process?

W

wrightme43

How long has the fuel been in it?

You checked the fuses in the side pod area on the brake side under the seat right?

Do you have mice? They love to chew wires.

Lift tank, get multi tester, set to 12v, check to make sure power is going to the fuel pump by unplugging the connector and checking that voltage exists when the key is turned on. If so, disconnect the fuel line and see if it pumps fuel when the key is turned on. (be smart about this think before you act)
If you have power to the pump but it doesnt pump you probley need a fuel pump. If you do not have power to the fuel pump let us know.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't done so, download the service manual from this sight and review the trouble shooting section for starting issues, it should refer you to appropriate test procedures.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Should the voltage be on the red wire or the green wire, I am guessing one of the circuits is for the fuel guage. I have downloaded the service manual and have been using it, great resource thanks to those who made them available. The fuel is not that old and smells OK, I know it could still be bad though. I also ordered a more in depth repair manual with detailed schematics and so forth, between this and the help you guys are giving (big thanks) we can get this problem solved as I am itching to ride it again. Also gotta install my new fe on it lol.

W

wrightme43

I dont know which plug is the fuel gauge and which is the fuel pump.

Unplug on of them. If the fuel gauge still works, its that one, if the fuel gauge stops working, its the other one. LOL

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Should the voltage be on the red wire or the green wire, I am guessing one of the circuits is for the fuel guage. I have downloaded the service manual and have been using it, great resource thanks to those who made them available. The fuel is not that old and smells OK, I know it could still be bad though. I also ordered a more in depth repair manual with detailed schematics and so forth, between this and the help you guys are giving (big thanks) we can get this problem solved as I am itching to ride it again. Also gotta install my new fe on it lol.

Red w/blue is fuel pump, green w/white is gauge. However, I doubt that this has failed. There is a large relay under the left side cover, it controls the interlocking of the starter, lighting, clutch switch, etc. See attached image. Check the connection of the plug to this device for water. In addition, check the main ECU plug under the tank.

There have been way too many fuel-related issues lately, and the pump seems to be singled out for some reason. Moisture and poor connections are the most likely causes and are certainly the easiest to diagnose and rule out before going more in depth. For example, I had an issue with my starter motor a few months ago. After checking battery charge and connections, I headed towards the starter itself and simply found that the grounding fit between starter motor and engine block was corroded, cleaned it and everything was restored to normal.

The point of my rambling: Eliminate the easiest and most likely causes of failures before going off towards "open heart surgery".

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree Cali, being a mechanic by trade (car/big truck diesel wich is why some of my questions seem so dumb 'cause my motorcycle knowledge is limited) I haven't laid the blame on the fuel pump yet. I wanted to pick the brains of those who know in case there was an fz6 related prob. The schematics in the service man. are good but they are hard to read. They kinda steer me to maybe a grounding issue or a connector problem Rest assured with the help of you guys on the forum this bike will be on the road again :D, maybe some of you are close enough to me to go riding :thumbup:. Got some other things in the works for my bike maybe you have seen my post about exhaust systems.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Igot my meter andchecked for voltage across the two pins in the connector, I connected between the black wire and the red wire and I do have voltage when the key is turned on. It cycles on and then off like it is supposed to when it primes the fuel system before it starts. I think I will pull the pump to see if it is gummed up or something.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I found the problem :thumbup: It is fuel related. With the current gasoline/ethanol blends, here in Florida it is 10% or E-10 plus the humidity = fuel that does not have the longivity it once had. It takes less time, alot less time for fuel to go bad with the Ethanol in it. What I found when I removed my fuel pump was a coating on the pump plastics that washed and wiped off fairly easily but it also put a coating on the electrical contacts for the pump motor itself. Once I cleaned the the connector that has the blue and black wires the pump works just fine. Thanks to all those who helped me trace this problem down.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to remember time flies so fast but really not long enough to do what it did, it seemd that fuel does not last as long since ethanol is being blended in at a higher percentage than it used to be. Most fuels have always had some ethanol in it but now with 10% and higher it is causing problems. I am old enough to remember "gasohol" from the late 70s early 80s and there was the same issues back then, actually even worse about fuel going stale.

fatdad

Reaction score
Visit site
The good news is I fired it up last night and it runs great, no other problems or damage to the fuel system :cheer: Now that I have some of the body work off I am going to install my fe and do the headlight mod before I put it back together and go for a ride. :rockon: Thanks for all the help!! :thumbup: