Front Sprocket

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking into changing my front sprocket which is a stock 16tooth and wanted to go with a 17tooth. Since I drive about 100 miles a day for work, from my understanding lowering the ration would lower rpms at a higher speed, my real question is who do you buy from and whats a quality brand, I just want to spend the money on a good product that is stood behind by the manufacturer or retail store.

Appreciate the help thanks very much.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
If you would like a genuine Yamaha-made sprocket with the rubber cushioning, part no. 1AE-17460-11-00 will fit. I ordered one from Stadium Yamaha, cost $19.75 (plus shipping.)

Above sprocket was the stock sprocket on the 1999 YZFR7. If you check an aftermarket sprocket manufacturer like Vortex, you will find that the 17 tooth Vortex sprocket specified for the FZ6 is the same as the one they specify for the YZFR7, so that’s how I figured out that the stock sprocket for the YZFR7 will fit the FZ6.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
If you would like a genuine Yamaha-made sprocket with the rubber cushioning, part no. 1AE-17460-11-00 will fit. I ordered one from Stadium Yamaha, cost $19.75 (plus shipping.)

Above sprocket was the stock sprocket on the 1999 YZFR7. If you check an aftermarket sprocket manufacturer like Vortex, you will find that the 17 tooth Vortex sprocket specified for the FZ6 is the same as the one they specify for the YZFR7, so that’s how I figured out that the stock sprocket for the YZFR7 will fit the FZ6.

Great info.
Do you know an oem yamaha part number for a 15 tooth front sprocket also?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Great info.
Do you know an oem yamaha part number for a 15 tooth front sprocket also?

Sorry, since I was interested in going up one tooth, I did not look for a 15 tooth factory oem option. If I get a chance, I may try to do so just for fun.

UPDATE - I rooted around at the Vortex site and could not find a corresponsing OEM 15 tooth sprocket. All the bikes that come stock with a 15 tooth and 530 chain (e.g. the YZF600 R) use a different Vortex part number (3521 vs. 3517.)

Last edited:

flsurflover

Reaction score
Visit site
Good info! Wish I knew this before I ordered a JT Sprockets JTF580.17 from Powersports Superstore on Amazon for $15.35 shipped. Several threads say the replacement sprockets are louder than the stock sprockets with the rubber cushioning. One person even put Dynamat on the inside of the sprocket cover. I don't know in reality how much louder it is since I haven't swapped it yet, but I would go for the cross referenced Yamaha one that SirIsaac used if that fits.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 17T JT sprocket and the noise is nothing to worry about. It is slightly noticeable when you first change it but now I'm used to it and it sounds and feels fine.
I'm loving the 55 MPG too...

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 17T JT sprocket and the noise is nothing to worry about. It is slightly noticeable when you first change it but now I'm used to it and it sounds and feels fine.
I'm loving the 55 MPG too...

Same with me, the first long ride I took, I stopped about 3 times, thinking "WTF is that noise, is my chain slapping around? Is my rear tire crooked?"

Now I don't even notice. I'd probably be freaked out if I put a Yamaha sprocket back on.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As said, the 17th tooth front sprocket, with a stock rear (46), will bring your speedo to within 1%.

I've currently got a stock setup that I want to put a 520 Supersprox set on (with outer steel ring on the rear)

I currently have a SpeedoTUner, but the above ratio will make it unnecessary.

Cheers,
Rick

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
As said, the 17th tooth front sprocket, with a stock rear (46), will bring your speedo to within 1%.

Agreed, but unfortunately the odometer will be about minus 6%. Not a big deal, but if you calculate your mpg, remember to increase the miles by about 6% to get a more accurate figure, otherwise you won't as easily discern any increase in mpg due to the larger sprocket.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of an old thread but i am in the process of ordering my front sprocket finally and i remembered people preaching about changing the nut and washer can anyone verify i have the right part numbers thanks a lot. :rockon:

34 90201-20023-00 WASHER, PLATE
35 90179-20010-00 NUT ( replaced 90179-20011-00 NUT )

thanks