Front brake caliper broken. Advice on replacment compatibility

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a6ana8em.jpg

As the title says, cracked straight through the bottom of the mounting point.
I am looking for a used replacement. If anyone knows of other bikes that use the same caliper it would help my search.
Cheers

Nelly
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JasonB

Reaction score
Visit site
The same thing happened to me with the front left hand side caliper on my fizzer a couple of months ago. I ended up sourcing a used replacement caliper from a company up in Hull called Motorcycle Spares Unlimited.

Spares Unlimited Motorcycles - The Motorcycle Breaker

They have an eBay store where you can see all of the items currently available. Delivery takes a couple of days and the part they sent me looked like new, better condition then the caliper it replaced.

Incidently the replacement caliper I bought was £50 with delivery being a fiver if I recall correctly. Shipping to Ireland may cost a little more, but it sure is a damn site cheaper than buying a new caliper from Yahama. I was quoted over £400 for the same part by the local dealership, even they said to source and fit a used one as no one in their right mind would spend that kind of money on a part for an 8yr old bike.

JasonB

Reaction score
Visit site
can I just ask how the h... that happened?

Don't know about the OP, but in my case it happened because I was trying to tighten up the caliper nut and basically applied too much torque. As well as replacing the caliper I also ended up picking up a decent torque wrench as well so as to avoid this happening again.

Live and Learn.....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
can I just ask how the h... that happened?
I have no idea, the bike went in for tyres a couple of weeks ago. I do a six monthly clean on the calipers it was fine last time. The mechanic said the front pads needed replacing and quoted a silly amount to do it. I discovered it yesterday when installing new pads.
The only thing I can think of is over torquing the bolt. I use a torque wrench (40Nm) to make sure its at the desired torque.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, I always use a torque wrench on essential bolts. 40 Nm for the front.
The last caliper service was only a couple of months ago and all was well.
I had new tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago, the mechanic said the pads were worn. I don't know if they removed the caliper or not?
Over tightening is the probable cause for this damage.

Nelly:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen that happen from burrs in the threads, corrosion, and excessive torque. Do they chemically treat the roads there?

Fleebay a used pair grab new seal kit for a rebuild. What year is your bike?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen that happen from burrs in the threads, corrosion, and excessive torque. Do they chemically treat the roads there?

Fleebay a used pair grab new seal kit for a rebuild. What year is your bike?
The roads are treated with salt in the winter. My fizzer is a 2005, I'm sure that I read somewhere that the 2004 R6 calipers would fit. There are tons of R6 calipers out there.
I have found a pair of FZ6 calipers in Italy for €50.00 just waiting on shipping even if the shipping is €50.00 its still a bargin. I might even go the hole hog and get braided lines?

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil,

Being an S1 model (04-06 model), floating caliper, any of those calipers (FZ 04-06) should work.

That's a 2 piston (each caliper) where as an 07 and up, its a 4 piston and won't fit.

The bolt that goes into that hole is obviously tight BUT, the caliper floats and centers itself as the two pistons are on one side.

Very odd how that cracked and didn't strip. The only thing that comes to mind is someone took it off, when putting it back, it wasn't straight/seated and they forced the bolt cracking the softer of the two...

You may want to check part #'s just for verification.

I just checked USPS, a 2lb package from the states to Ireland is about $24.00 US (should you find a used one)

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-6Rs also use the old 2-piston sliding calipers. I have no doubt that the caliper itself (maybe not the bracket) off any Yamaha using the same sliding caliper design in the last decade would work too. ;)

If you wanted to pay shipping from the states, I've got the pair from my '04 sitting on a shelf at work since I did R6 forks.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil,

Being an S1 model (04-06 model), floating caliper, any of those calipers (FZ 04-06) should work.

That's a 2 piston (each caliper) where as an 07 and up, its a 4 piston and won't fit.

The bolt that goes into that hole is obviously tight BUT, the caliper floats and centers itself as the two pistons are on one side.

Very odd how that cracked and didn't strip. The only thing that comes to mind is someone took it off, when putting it back, it wasn't straight/seated and they forced the bolt cracking the softer of the two...

You may want to check part #'s just for verification.

I just checked USPS, a 2lb package from the states to Ireland is about $24.00 US (should you find a used one)
Thanks Scott,
I am aware of the S2 differences so have only searched for the dual pot caliper.
As far as I can see its pretty difficult to miss seat the caliper the rotor keeps it all very straight. I have made an offer on a caliper here in Ireland so hopefully that will be ok.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-6Rs also use the old 2-piston sliding calipers. I have no doubt that the caliper itself (maybe not the bracket) off any Yamaha using the same sliding caliper design in the last decade would work too.

If you wanted to pay shipping from the states, I've got the pair from my '04 sitting on a shelf at work since I did R6 forks.

Wow, that would certainly dig me out of a spot. Pm sent.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but with it cracked as it is, its as if someone forced TOO LARGE a BOLT in there, something had to give, the brake caliper split..

Seems like like you'll have one pretty quick.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but with it cracked as it is, its as if someone forced TOO LARGE a BOLT in there, something had to give, the brake caliper split..

Ahh (light bulb moment) I get what you are saying now Scott, If an oversized bolt was used it would cause the split.
Hopefully I will have it sorted soon.

Nelly

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That is a an assumption with no evidence.. .. .. It's unlikely and bolts that don't start don't split things. If you tore the front end apart - there are no other bolts of larger size that come remotely close to starting. Thus highly unlikely. Just sayin..

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think there's a risk with over-reliance on torque wrenches, perhaps useful to make sure you don't go over, but use a bit of judgement when using one.

I've heard you can over-torque stuff if you use things like coppaslip, or there's grease on the threads.