From cruiser to FZ6

sov

Reaction score
Visit site
Having recently purchased - and put 500 miles on - a new-to-me 2009 FZ6, I wanted to share my concerns before I bought it and my impressions after purchasing and riding it.

My primary bike for the last couple of years has been a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. Prior to that I had a Vulcan 500 (my first bike). I also have a DR650 for dual-sport/adventure riding. I decided to get the FZ6 because I wanted to try a sport bike with an I4 engine comfortable enough for all day rides. I also really love the looks of the bike. After weeks of internet research I had a short list of concerns that almost kept me from pulling the trigger. Thanks in large part to this forum, I took the plunge and couldn't be happier.

Underpowered in the low and midrange RPMs?: The bike does NOT lack power for me for the kind of riding I like to do at any RPM. To be honest, I have yet to take it above 9k so there is still an aspect of the bike to explore. Sure, there is more pull futher up the band, but I'm not dissatisfied at all with the engine.

Seat and handlebar vibrations at highway speeds?: My first ride on the bike was 1.5 straight highway hours. When I got off the bike I noticed a slight buzz in my hands and my feet. I never noticed any vibration from the seat, but to be fair I was wearing overpants with padding. The hand-buzz went away quickly. I have since ordered grip puppies to help, but the vibes are a non issue for me. (I usually stop after an hour anyway, but I was having a blast and didn't want to get off)

Binary throttle?: I don't really experience this. The throttle is harder to move (heavier?) than my other bikes. I think the grip puppies will help there as I have long fingers. There is more engine braking than the other bikes so I work more on smooth roll-off.

Short friction zone?: Yeah, I guess - but I got use to it quickly and now I rarely think about it.

Clunky tranmission?: There is a noticeable clunk into 1st (the Vulcan has this too) and 1st to 2nd is not as smooth as the Kawi or the Zook. But it isn't something that detracts from my satisfaction with the bike. I am getting better with the 1st to 2nd shift, and I suspect things will smooth out as the bike ages (it has roughly 1400 miles on the ODO).

Sub-par front suspension?: Not an issue for my 165lbs. I haven't done agressive twisties yet so we'll see. I could maybe see replacing the springs at some point, but stock is way better than the DR stock suspension. I couldn't stand to ride the DR (wallow and nose-dive) prior to replacing the front and back springs.

So what words would I use to describe the FZ6 so far: fun, smooth ride, attractive looking, and great balance.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Having recently purchased - and put 500 miles on - a new-to-me 2009 FZ6, I wanted to share my concerns before I bought it and my impressions after purchasing and riding it.

My primary bike for the last couple of years has been a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. Prior to that I had a Vulcan 500 (my first bike). I also have a DR650 for dual-sport/adventure riding. I decided to get the FZ6 because I wanted to try a sport bike with an I4 engine comfortable enough for all day rides. I also really love the looks of the bike. After weeks of internet research I had a short list of concerns that almost kept me from pulling the trigger. Thanks in large part to this forum, I took the plunge and couldn't be happier.

Underpowered in the low and midrange RPMs?: The bike does NOT lack power for me for the kind of riding I like to do at any RPM. To be honest, I have yet to take it above 9k so there is still an aspect of the bike to explore. Sure, there is more pull futher up the band, but I'm not dissatisfied at all with the engine.

Seat and handlebar vibrations at highway speeds?: My first ride on the bike was 1.5 straight highway hours. When I got off the bike I noticed a slight buzz in my hands and my feet. I never noticed any vibration from the seat, but to be fair I was wearing overpants with padding. The hand-buzz went away quickly. I have since ordered grip puppies to help, but the vibes are a non issue for me. (I usually stop after an hour anyway, but I was having a blast and didn't want to get off)

Binary throttle?: I don't really experience this. The throttle is harder to move (heavier?) than my other bikes. I think the grip puppies will help there as I have long fingers. There is more engine braking than the other bikes so I work more on smooth roll-off.

Short friction zone?: Yeah, I guess - but I got use to it quickly and now I rarely think about it.

Clunky tranmission?: There is a noticeable clunk into 1st (the Vulcan has this too) and 1st to 2nd is not as smooth as the Kawi or the Zook. But it isn't something that detracts from my satisfaction with the bike. I am getting better with the 1st to 2nd shift, and I suspect things will smooth out as the bike ages (it has roughly 1400 miles on the ODO).

Sub-par front suspension?: Not an issue for my 165lbs. I haven't done agressive twisties yet so we'll see. I could maybe see replacing the springs at some point, but stock is way better than the DR stock suspension. I couldn't stand to ride the DR (wallow and nose-dive) prior to replacing the front and back springs.

So what words would I use to describe the FZ6 so far: fun, smooth ride, attractive looking, and great balance.
:welcome: to the forum, and I'm glad you love your bike like we do!!

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine with the same mileage, as soon as I took her on a long trip she broke in nicely! After that the clutch was like butter! Just let her out and the bike will start rolling.

I also started with a vulcan, but I had the 750. Great bikes, but I'm much happier with the Yammy! The speed and handling of the fz6 is addictive, and I often wonder why this bike is even legal. It's way more addictive than drugs or alcohol, and far more dangerous:)

I am sure your son is going to be Stoked!

My dad got me into riding when I was young, and I thank him every day.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
can relate

I like you, had the same thoughts and concerns moving from high power standards and cruisers to a sport bike.
I made the switch about a year ago and could not be happier.
Get the rpm s up on the FZ6 and it will run.
Very good all around scoot.
For long trips I would choose something else but, I don`t do long trips anymore.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: can relate

I agree with the heavy throttle, I find it a little hard to twist and find myself perhaps gripping a little too hard, which results in fatigue.

Do grip puppies help with the twist? Why is it so heavy? I just put it down to the fact that i've come up from a 125cc

lunchboxer

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with short friction zone. I came from my first bike, a 250 V-star, and stalled the first couple of times trying to get going.
I noticed and got used to the clunk from 1st to 2nd too.

sov

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: can relate

I agree with the heavy throttle, I find it a little hard to twist and find myself perhaps gripping a little too hard, which results in fatigue.

Do grip puppies help with the twist? Why is it so heavy? I just put it down to the fact that i've come up from a 125cc

I think there are ways to improve the heavy grip situation - I remember coming across a thread or two here, but don't recall the advice.

I got the grip puppies on, but I've only been on one ride longer than 20min since the install. Results are inconclusive so far: my throttle hand was fatigued more than usual, but it was pretty windy and I was gripping harder than usual anticipating the gusts. The grips feel nice when I'm just sitting on the bike. I got them for the vibes on long rides, but I'm not willing to trade vibes for fatigue.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I put it down to a smaller grip than my small bike but it's an electronic throttle. I've been looking into them clipons that allow you to use the bottom of your hand.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pitch the stock muffler and put on something that breaths better.

I have Scorps on mine (W/O the DB killers). Its a whole different bike... Seems faster, sounds great at low RPM's, screams at higher RPM's while sounding like a 1000!!! Extremely addicting....

As for the possible hard throttle, I believe the set up is the same as the FJR. There should be a center return spring on the throttle bodies (besides 2 others on the same shaft). If you un-wind the center spring ONE turn, it will loosen up the tension considerably...

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18322 The throttle release spring thread is down a bit in the thread...

Last edited: