Friends who wreck your bike.

WhizDeere

Whiz
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever had a friend wreck you bike before. Well it is for sure no fun. Last sat. I went on a ride for about 150 miles and then decided to stop by a few friends of mines party. Well my best friend asked if he could take my FZ6 for a ride(he has road it before) and I let him. He didn't go but 5 miles and I get the call that he wrecked it. I took it to the dealer today to get a quote. I believe their is about $3,000.00 of damage. No more letting friend ride my things. This bike had no flaws on it at all. Its depressing.

your "friend" is bucking up right??

We were taught in the bike safety course first thing....don't lend out your bike. Hopefully he will at least share some of the responsiblity.

well to be honest you said stop by party and let my friend ride my bike.... Not to be mean but did you really think nothing was gonna happen? but it does suck and sorry to hear about this!!!

That sucks. I think the not lending the bike thing is very good advice. I have a hard time with it myself though since I usually let my friends borrow or try my toys. I've switched rides with 2 friends and luckily everything was OK. But you got me thinking. Sorry again for your circumstances.

Well he said he will pay for it and his mom is going to wirte the check out for it. Time will tell. And for the party thing. He dont drink and is the kind of person who gets mad at me if I even drink. So, just cause it was a party didn't make it any different. But we have always let each other ride our things and drive each others trucks, but never had this happen before. I cant wait to get it back. But I'm not sure if its going to be totaled or not.

This is why I don't let anyone ride my bike

How the hell did he wreck it? Did he get hit or loop it trying to do a wheelie?
Hope he pays for it, or if you have insurance hope he pays the deductable.

OUCH!!!

I felt like a deuche saying no to friends who asked before, but whatever. I would only lend it to someone i really trust, even then there is a high risk. Sorry that this happened to you, I hope your friend pays and takes care of all this for you. Good luck!

Well he said he will pay for it and his mom is going to wirte the check out for it. Time will tell. And for the party thing. He dont drink and is the kind of person who gets mad at me if I even drink. So, just cause it was a party didn't make it any different. But we have always let each other ride our things and drive each others trucks, but never had this happen before. I cant wait to get it back. But I'm not sure if its going to be totaled or not.

Doesn't look like it would be totalled, I don't see any frame or serious engine damage(crankcase cover can be replaced, scratches can be painted over).
Total loss is more of an insurance term, if you don't have insurance(or doesn't cover it) a more appropriate term would be salvaged title.

$3k sounds about right including labor. Do you have insurance? Most of this stuff is easy to replace by yourself, assuming the frame/engine/forks are okay.

Well he said that the back tire slid out from him in a conner. Said the gravel on the side of the road caused this. But then the bike slid on its side and went into a ditch and trees. This is from what I was told. My other friend who was behind him on his bike said the same thing. But either way he will pay something. Insurance is my backup. I hate the fact that we have insurance to use but everyone is affaird to use it since our rates go up. But I will see after I get my quote back.

I don't let friends ride my things, or drive my truck as thats a fast way to lose them.
My truck, because it's still basically in perfect shape and it's a stick so that keeps alot of people from not driving it.
the dirt bike, sure, I crash it all the time but thats ok, since it's me, I don't want friends getting hurt on it.
The FZ, I've only let 1 friend ride it, and he has his own bike, and it was so he could see the difference in a cruiser and a "sport" bike, and it was never out of my sight as he got it into 2nd gear and got scared of it lol.

I would let one of my best friends ride it, but he rides anyways, probably better than myself. Do accidents happen? Yep, **** happens everyday. But I am wary on who rides it, very very wary.

sorry I was assuming alcohol was involved... I take pics of college kids and I kinda forgot there are more people like myself that don't drink or drink very rarely....

You made the choice to let him ride it.
Be relieved he was not hurt or worse- killed on your bike.
I know you are bummed (I would be) but remember it is only a piece of metal, he is a human and your friend.
Stuff hapens, that's why you pay the insurance. Could have been much worse.

I don't let friends ride my things, or drive my truck as thats a fast way to lose them.
My truck, because it's still basically in perfect shape and it's a stick so that keeps alot of people from not driving it.
the dirt bike, sure, I crash it all the time but thats ok, since it's me, I don't want friends getting hurt on it.
The FZ, I've only let 1 friend ride it, and he has his own bike, and it was so he could see the difference in a cruiser and a "sport" bike, and it was never out of my sight as he got it into 2nd gear and got scared of it lol.

One time my friend was really drunk so he let me drive his truck, which was a stick. I had only driven a manual once in a parking lot, but somehow I made it about 40 miles at night, that was a fun experience.

The only time I've let someone else drive my car was when I was drunk, and I trusted the person's skill and intelligence.

6hrs old,
My first bike was a 92 ninja 250. I rode it home and became the cool kid on the block. So I began letting my friends take it for a spin around the block, 1st friend no problems comes right back, 2nd friend the comes right back and the 3rd friend comes back however, he flys bye us around 50mph. A few minutes pass and he returns with only my helment in hand. 6 hours from purchase $2500 in damage.

He paid for all repairs and we are still great friends today.

He's never even asked to sit on any other bike of mine.

i read the part htat his mom will pay for the damage.. yea.. if your buddy can't pay, then he shouldnt be able to ride.. no one rides mine, but me... but if someone wanted to, i would make sure that they could afford to fix it.. at least the mom is being cool about it and will cut you a check, however she probably doesnt realize its going to be like 3k.. good luck

Back