Frame sliders really a good idea on a FZ6?

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed extended frame sliders (the long ones) and while trying to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me suddenly without turn signals I hit some mud and went down, long story short: the frame sliders saved my bike and my legs!! Apart from some scuffing on the handle end and a little scratching on the fairing, there was no other damage, also the length of the sliders prevented my knees from hitting the street. This was at 40-45mph btw. The frame slider bolt bent almost 45 degrees but the bike frame wasn't damaged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed extended frame sliders (the long ones) and while trying to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me suddenly without turn signals I hit some mud and went down, long story short: the frame sliders saved my bike and my legs!! Apart from some scuffing on the handle end and a little scratching on the fairing, there was no other damage, also the length of the sliders prevented my knees from hitting the street. This was at 40-45mph btw. The frame slider bolt bent almost 45 degrees but the bike frame wasn't damaged.

Do ya have any pics to share?

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm offshore and I don't have the pics with me at the moment, I'll get them sent out and share them here.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's photos from my R6 that I crashed a couple of years ago. This crash was a lowside. I was just past apex, full on the gas, a few feet off the guy in front of me when he stood his bike up and hammered the brakes. His rear wheel lodged between the top of my front fender and the bottom of my upper fairing. I went right down, and my R6 slid. After this crash I rounded up a front MC brake res and straighten out the foot peg and was back on the track. After the bike slid across the track it tumbled once it hit the dirt. That hurt. My brand new paint was pretty much trashed...:(

I am a huge advocate of frame sliders. They can make the difference of keeping riding or walking home. Add axle and bar sliders and you're pretty much bullet proof.

Oh, and I feel the best sliders are Woodcraft, bar none. Look them up. No one else makes one even remotely similar. They spread the load out so much better.

View attachment 52231

View attachment 52232

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's photos from my R6 that I crashed a couple of years ago. This crash was a lowside. I was just past apex, full on the gas, a few feet off the guy in front of me when he stood his bike up and hammered the brakes. His rear wheel lodged between the top of my front fender and the bottom of my upper fairing. I went right down, and my R6 slid. After this crash I rounded up a front MC brake res and straighten out the foot peg and was back on the track. After the bike slid across the track it tumbled once it hit the dirt. That hurt. My brand new paint was pretty much trashed...:(

I am a huge advocate of frame sliders. They can make the difference of keeping riding or walking home. Add axle and bar sliders and you're pretty much bullet proof.

Oh, and I feel the best sliders are Woodcraft, bar none. Look them up. No one else makes one even remotely similar. They spread the load out so much better.

View attachment 52231

View attachment 52232

Could have been much worse for you and the bike. Thx for sharing.

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Pics of my slider after the fall
ta4ygaru.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, they're the extended sliders and I firmly believe they helped prevent my knees from hitting the ground too hard.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a cheap set of extended sliders from eBay when I first got my bike a couple years ago. Yesterday the right one was tested by my kids when they knocked it over. Frame slider took the impact instead of other parts, but cracked in half and is in two pieces now.

Just keep that in mind if you buy the eBay sliders. They're great for the accidental 0 mph crash, and great for resting your legs on long trips, but I doubt they would have done jack squat for any mis-hap at speed.

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy just bought a brand new 2013 636 ninja and installed a set of frame sliders, not two days after he did that the bike fell off its stand and landed on its side. Only damage was a slightly scuffed mirror and right side frame slider. Its cheap insurance :), I have a set on the way right now for my fz6