Found this on Marine Corps site

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
My son just deployed so surfing MC sites and photos is back on my 'to do' list and I came across this today, I don't know how to get the pics onto here though sorry....
Lance Cpl. Charles M. Gardner, an air traffic control equipment maintainer at the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz., suffered only minor injuries Feb. 3, 2009, when he laid down his Yamaha FZ6 sport bike on 32nd Street east of the air station to avoid a collision with a car that veered into his lane. Gardner attributes his safety to the protective gear he was wearing at the time. Gardner, 21, is a native of Houston. (Photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon)

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
My son just deployed so surfing MC sites and photos is back on my 'to do' list and I came across this today, I don't know how to get the pics onto here though sorry....
Lance Cpl. Charles M. Gardner, an air traffic control equipment maintainer at the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz., suffered only minor injuries Feb. 3, 2009, when he laid down his Yamaha FZ6 sport bike on 32nd Street east of the air station to avoid a collision with a car that veered into his lane. Gardner attributes his safety to the protective gear he was wearing at the time. Gardner, 21, is a native of Houston. (Photo by Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon)

I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Did he take the safety MSF class?

There was an article I believe in the NYtimes a few months about how the various branches of the military are experiencing a large rash of accidents. They have required special on-base safety training before any soldier can operate a motorcycle on the base in order to try to make a dent in the death rate.

Here in central Texas, I have talked to several emergency room nurses. There is the highway #190 near Killeen, home to Fort Hood, that has many motorcycle accidents/deaths every year. Many of those deaths are never reported in the civilian newspapers.

The reason is soldiers who ride motorcycle often have a sense of invincibility, testorome and ego mixed in a dangerous way. If they survived tours in foreign countries dealing with a very hostile enemy, how dangerous can a motorcycle be or so goes the logic.

The nurses continue to tell me, the soldiers who have experienced the adrenalin rush of combat and then make a return to civilian life, will often ride at very high-speeds and engage in reckless motorcycle riding in an attempt to elevate the endorphins.

I don't know your son's riding gear, but having a high-viz yellow helmet and a lime green riding jacket plus using headlight modulators can dramatically reduce the chance of a car veering or turning in front of you.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope your son stays safe whil over seas. deployments can be hard for everybody, just makes sure he keeps his head up and the enemy in his sights slow squeeze of the trigger will make for a happy day. Good luck, God speed, and remain SEMPER FIDELIS

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep once again ATGATT All The Gear All The Time

Big thanks to you son for his service!
Hang in there Mom, keep us posted on how he doing over there.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
My son said this deployment will be better than the first two.... he will have internet so communication will be MUCH better and overall conditions have improved in the area he will be in, so I feel better about it this time... not great but better. His wife is having a really hard time, her only friend just left to stay with family. Thanks to all of you for your support. My son does ride, we took the MSF class together when he was 17, he just has been bikeless and only gets to ride when he visits his Dad or me, I gotta get a 2nd bike before he gets back so we can go riding :) He promised me a visit. SEMPER FI to all the Marines out there, I think all military are great but there is just something special about a Marine...... :rockon::america: I think I just highjacked my own thread....lol