Fork seals

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
So i was surprised to see fluid leaking out of the front forks on the right side..Its a 2007 with only 12000 miles, but I guess Ill chalk it up to the fact that the bike after having been wrecked was sitting outside for at least a year before I got it.. (really good deal!)
so I think Im gonna tackle at least getting the forks off (wish me luck :/)so I can save that labor charge, but while I have them off is there any mods I can do that will upgrade the handling?

02dakota

Reaction score
Visit site
Did mine a few weeks ago. Upgraded to Racetech springs and 15w fork oil. Also used the down time to do a few other mods.

What type of tool did you use to remove the cylinder inside the fork tube, to change out the fork oil seals? My right seal is leaking, i was able to remove the fork, but need some tool to get the seal out.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at the service manual yet? It shows the tools needed. Also there are several threads on how to. . . Do a little search. . .

I'd venture to guess a couple of rust pits were present from being outside and it abraded the seal making it leak.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the effect of the Racetech springs? How has it changed the handling on your bike?

You need to visit the Racetech website and look for the spring rate calculator. It will tell you, for your bike and your weight, what spring rate would be appropriate for your application.

The advantage of adding in a stiffer spring and heavier fork oil is that it makes the fork more resistant to diving, and gives better performance for more aggressive riding. You will sacrifice some plushness, and certain jolts will require more finesse to absorb. It's a trade off, and one that I am very happy with personally.