For those thinking of oiled air filters (K&N etc)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks. That does make for interesting reading. The only issue I can take with the statements made all stem from the intent of the author. His bias is towards longevity of the engine. "Keep the dirt out of a diesel, and it will last longer."

It all comes down to how much is too much, and how often will you actually service your filtration system.

My main issues with oiled element filters, is how easy it is to botch the application of the oil. That, and as the article states, you don't get 'free' air flow. Filter it less, you'll flow more air.

Like I was saying with oil filters...... the longer you run them and the more 'clogged' they get, the better they will do at stopping debris from entering your engine. As they get more and more clogged, they will restrict flow to a higher and higher degree.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting. K&N's marketing is sadly laughable, however in this land of free enterprise, it really can't quite be considered fraudulent, it really sells.

Frustrating in the automotive field are the persons who insist on using these things. "Yes sir, that bit of oily dirt in your new mass air flow sensor is causing your problem again, somehow got past your aftermarket air filter, shall I replace the filter this time?..."

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think oiled filters are fine for off road use where there is a ton of dust constantly being sucked into an engine but personally I do not see the need for them on paved surfaces - and I actually think paper does a better job.
I used to have a Jeep that had a factory-installed oiled foam filter OVER the paper element. I always wondered why, if the foam did such a great job, leave the paper filter element under it? Well, even under the oiled foam the paper DID get dirty, (but admittedly not bad at all). The paper did, however, quickly take on an oil film and discoloration. With engines without oxygen sensors, mapp sensors and the like, this is not only fine but probably a plus, (up to a point). However with today's engines and all of their computerized sensors I do not believe sucking a fine film of oil into the intake is a good thing. (Just my biased, unprofessional opinion)