Florida goes nuts.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
What's nuts about that? There's no excuse for going 50 mph over the limit. You'll probably kill yourself, but more importantly, some innocent bystander. I'm sure we remember the recent posting of a bike fully inside the passenger compartment of a VW Golf. I think it was going in the 140mph range. $1000 is probably big enough to make some people think twice. The previous $250 fine may have been small enough to chance it.

W

wrightme43

At that price point, and with the loss of lic. for 5 or 10 years.

How many are going to stop?

I have very very very rarely ever ran from the cops in my life. Never on the bike.
With that sort of punishment I would not stop.
Its like they are asking for high speed pursuit with the attending risks for riders, law enforcement and people just driving.

Thats why its crazy in my opinion. Who is going to stop? I know I wouldnt. I have always been respectful to the police on my bike. This one is going to cause people to run from the law. Most motorcycle chases end in the rider getting away. Now they are just going to have more high speed pursuits.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
At that price point, and with the loss of lic. for 5 or 10 years.

How many are going to stop?

I have very very very rarely ever ran from the cops in my life. Never on the bike.
With that sort of punishment I would not stop.
Its like they are asking for high speed pursuit with the attending risks for riders, law enforcement and people just driving.

Thats why its crazy in my opinion. Who is going to stop? I know I wouldnt. I have always been respectful to the police on my bike. This one is going to cause people to run from the law. Most motorcycle chases end in the rider getting away. Now they are just going to have more high speed pursuits.

Looks like we are going to have more youtube vids to watch

W

wrightme43

Yeah I guess so.

I know I am not the only one of us just on this forum who has done a top speed run, or 6. I have several times exceded the limit by 50mph. I have always said no matter what I will stop for the police out of respect for the officer.

If they are going to suspend my lic for 5 or 10 years for a wheelie or speeding, doing so removing my ability to make a living, buy food, basicly do anything I cant stop for them. I dont live in Florida. I have been stopped once on a R6 in FL. As soon as I saw the lights I put on the signal, flashed the brake lights, waited for him to get turn around, waved my hand, turned onto a side street, left enough room for him to pull in behind me, put the stand down, removed the key and held it up in the air for him to see. He knew I was stopping, he did not feel threatened, and we had a short conversation about me going at lot slower on his roads.

If the law had been 1000$ fine, I could of dusted his butt, and would of. That simple.

Here is why I think they are insane.

Ok new riders or riders with a new bike are going to do top speed runs. (I think most of us do it) Say you got a rider with around a year of experince riding. Say he is playing around with some friends and they are doing 100 down a road. They arent going to stop, they are going to scatter, the slowest rider to scatter will most likely be the most inexperinced rider, the police chase. Who is the most likely to crash and die, or crash into another car, or how likely are the police to crash into another car and kill or injure someone?

Will this start the no chase policy? What does that do? Lessen respect for law enforcement.

There are no winner on this one except the treasury, and funeral homes. Its not good for insurance companies, police safety, rider safety or public safety. It is a bad idea and wrong.

These are 100% my opinons and not the opinons of this site.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
On the one side I think they are right to impose such heavy fines, but on the other hand : I think us bikers should have more opportunities to ride to the limit without risking others. There are a few tracks here and there, but a track day is expensive, you can not do it every other day and so on. There should be more for us to exercise our hobby...

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, at that price I would run too. Where I live there are some roads that are so straight and flat that you can see for miles. Of course I am going to open the bike up a little (or a lot:rolleyes:). Granted cops are never on this road. But, the local freeway during rush hour has had many bikes try and set land speed records. Why? During heavy traffic, the police department decided it is too dangerous to pursue. So when the traffic is non existent, and I am only endangering myself I will get a ticket and all of the racket that goes with it, but I can get a pass if the traffic is heavy and I endanger everyone. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Then again the whole point of tickets is not public safety. It is a revenue generator plain and simple. And the insurance company's love it too, higher rates for basically doing what everybody does.

Remember that the first speeding ticket for a motorized vehicle was issued a year before the speedometer was invented. So we have been behind the bureaucrats since day one.:confused:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Belgium running from the cops has no point. They have radars setup in cars, and when they catch you speeding, they automatically take a picture of you (and your license plate). The ticket (or subpoena) arrives in the mail a little while later.

W

wrightme43

In Ontario, Canada where I live 50kph over the limit nets you a $10,000 fine, an immediate vehicle seizure with 7 day lic suspension. Now what were you saying about Florida going nuts? LOL...
Do people stop for them?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
So how large of a fine and license suspension would keep you from extremely dangerous speeds on public roads?

W

wrightme43

Thats a good question Cuba. I dont really know the answer. I know a 200 dollar ticket slowed me way down. If I had known the fine was 1000 or 2000, or 5 or 10 year lic suspension they would of had to catch me. 200-300 I will stop and talk with the officer. If they are going to remove my ability to work, and make money, I am not going to be having a conversation with them.
A DUI has a lower penalty.
Running a red light and killing someone is usually treated as failure to follow traffic control device.

Its not a reasonable punishment.
Its only effect will be more high speed pursuits and the loss of respect for law enforcement. Which will make them more likely to wreck and kill the ones they do catch. Which will make the ones that run even more likely to take chances and run even harder.

Its a bad deal, a bad law, and unfair. It was orginally only designed to apply to motorcycles, but since that was just obviously unfair it was applied to cars as well.

BioBear1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to say it, but...you can't out run Motorola...just stay reasonable or get your butt on the track where those speeds belong. You can rationalize anything; just remember that doesn't make it right.

Be well and enjoy,
Mike

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a good question Cuba. I dont really know the answer. I know a 200 dollar ticket slowed me way down. If I had known the fine was 1000 or 2000, or 5 or 10 year lic suspension they would of had to catch me. 200-300 I will stop and talk with the officer. If they are going to remove my ability to work, and make money, I am not going to be having a conversation with them.
A DUI has a lower penalty.
Running a red light and killing someone is usually treated as failure to follow traffic control device.

Its not a reasonable punishment.
Its only effect will be more high speed pursuits and the loss of respect for law enforcement. Which will make them more likely to wreck and kill the ones they do catch. Which will make the ones that run even more likely to take chances and run even harder.

Its a bad deal, a bad law, and unfair. It was orginally only designed to apply to motorcycles, but since that was just obviously unfair it was applied to cars as well.

I agree with you that it's a tough punishment, and I am not saying that it is right or wrong compared to other traffic violations, but the bottom line is no matter what the fine, you`re still going 50mph over. I am sorry, but if you`re going 80mph in a 30mph zone with kids around, you should lose your license for 5 years imo... you are endangering your life, and the life of the kids around.
I bet if your kid was almost killed by a guy doing 75mph in front of your house (25mph limit), you`d think $1000 and 5 years without a license was not enough of a punishment... it's all a matter of perspective.

Also, saying that $200 slowed "you" way down, doesn`t mean anything... If I make a lot of money, $200 is nothing, so it means I can use the streets as my racetrack because I`d be ready to pay $200 a week if necessary... where is the limit? what makes sense to you doesn`t necessarly make sense for the next guy... losing your license for 5-10 years talks to everybody though, rich or poor...

The State of FL wants to make a statement to ppl going VERY fast on public roads... the best way to do that is to threaten them with very high penalties...

In my opinion, if you know the consequences and still do 50mph over, it is entirely your responsability if you get caught.
If you cannot survive without your license for 5-10 years, then don`t do 50mph over. That simple.

Saying that ppl will run more often is irrelevant imo because if you were doing 50mph over on public roadways, you were already endangering your and other ppl's life, so you will simply be doing the same thing if you try to run... and running won`t work everytime, so be prepared to be in real trouble if you get caught trying to run...

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to say it, but...you can't out run Motorola...just stay reasonable or get your butt on the track where those speeds belong. You can rationalize anything; just remember that doesn't make it right.

Be well and enjoy,
Mike

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking. I'd be lying to you if I said I've never exceeded the speed limit on my bike. Eventhough you may be an excellent rider with skills equal to that of Rossi or Hayden... other drivers around you do not possess such skills. Old drivers, young/ inexperienced drivers, distracted drivers and uncooperative animals (Deer) make riding a motorcycle hazardous. Combine that hazard with speeds in excess of the posted limit and you really have trouble. Streets and intersections are designed by engineers with a specific speed target in mind. There is a certain amount of buffer or "wiggle room" inherent to each traffic plan, but it will not take into account a speed 50+ mph over the limit.

I'm not sure if the $1,000 fine for speeding 50+ mph over the posted limit is a good idea or not. The State of Florida likely observed a problem and took action in an effort to solve it. I'm sure Florida will monitor the new law and make revisions as necessary.

JMHO of course:ban:

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I live in Florida and this is pretty ridiculous. There are freeways with little traffic at certain points with a speed limit of 60 mph so if you go 110mph your done.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember reading an article about a high speed motorcycle chase that took place in Florida, maybe last year. The rider thought that he'd gotten away with it but the helicopter had tracked him to his home. The police got to the guy's house and, upon arresting the him, they found that he was only recently admitted to the police academy! d'oh!

The streets just aren't the place for such speeds. It's all about rights and responsibilities. You can't have the one without the other...

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the point that it will likely result in more high-speed pursuits, but two wrongs don't make a right.

If you're speeding at 50+mph it's pretty hard to argue you aren't aware that you're speeding. You've make a conscious decision to drive recklessly at the speed IMO and you have to live with that decision just as if you had decided to commit any other crime. You can argue it's a 'victimless crime', but you could argue the same for stealing from Walmart. Again, the decision rests with the individual.

At high speeds it IS a matter of public safety. It's more likely that someone will crash at that speed, and it's more likely they'll be hurt badly if they do. Just because a speeding rider doesn't kill me doesn't mean it's not gonna affect my insurance rates or the image others have of riders.

I agree that it's crazy that a DUI or mowing down a rider isn't punished more severly, but that doesn't preclude having serious penalties for other offenses. We should to defend the interests of riders, but fighting against a severe penalty for riding at very high speeds likely isn't the best way to do it.

+50 mph is for the track.

Last edited: