Flooding in MA

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
A neighbor in my building called me yesterday while I was at work to say "hey the parking lot's flooding, and it's up to the chain on your bike." I had taken the company shuttle out here to work, which means going home happens on the hour, and takes 1:15 total. I sprinted out the door and caught the 3:00 shuttle, the subway, and the bus, and got home at 4:15 to find this:

img00166h.jpg

img00167i.jpg

img00168w.jpg

It was a little over a foot deep at the rear wheel. I pulled the cover off, pushed the bike up to slightly shallower land, started it up and drove it out to a different lot. Drove in this morning to work, and all's well. Chain still looks good, wheels still roll cleanly on the center stand (bearings didn't seem to suffer... "Sorry, girl - daddy couldn't get home any quicker!"

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Was a storm drain jammed up?

Not exactly.

My spot is the lowest in the lot, and has the big square drain at the back of it (great place to drop your keys, I would imagine - I'm always paranoid of doing it but haven't yet). It wasn't blocked, but what it drains into seems to back up off and on when big rains come through. It drains fine for a day, the backs up for like 12 hours, then flows again, then backs up again, etc. Like someone is turning a gate on and off somewhere. By midnight last night (8 hours after pics) it was raining MUCH harder, and the parking lot had drained completely.

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Your lucky. I was in the process of rebuilding my RC rockcrawler in the basement. I came home yesterday to find my sump pump not working and my lipo battery packs floating. All the electronics are toasted.

I have a field stone basement with semi concrete floors. I had built an indoor RC rock crawling course which is now only useful if you have a submarine... booo to this rain!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
My mom's house is also deep in it now. Last time she called it was up to the doors of her neighbor's cars. Lots of cars will be totaled....

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool story and great pics -- glad the bike is ok.

I'd wash it and lube the chain soon. I would even be tempted to take a hair dryer or a fan to it to dry as much as I could esp. near the wheel bearings.

Dennis

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool story and great pics -- glad the bike is ok.

I'd wash it and lube the chain soon. I would even be tempted to take a hair dryer or a fan to it to dry as much as I could esp. near the wheel bearings.

Dennis

+1 on the chain lube - VERY IMPORTANT

Glad you and your "girl" came through ok :Flash: