bungee%20ASSMBLIES.jpg

+

spare-gas-can-petrol-can_1_gas_can01.jpg

Equals this!

P1000672.jpg

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw the bike in the local shop today. Looks much better proportioned in person than in photos. The riding position with the seat in high position = excellent, reminds me of new R1200GS and the recent Duc Multistrada. Suspension feels sturdy enough standing still. The downside: Finnish price 13800€.... I can buy a 3 yr old 20k km driven Multistrada with Öhlins suspension from Germany for the same price incl. import taxes. Also for larger shoe sizes the passenger pegs will hit your shoes when keeping the heels on the pegs. I have size 9 US and it became noticeable.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot to add to this thread!

I Got to ride my buddy's brand new US FJ-09 a couple weeks ago.

Biggest impressions.

1. Seat height! Much higher than FZ6. Not a good bike for anyone under 5'9" unless you plan to lower it. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs and had to stand on the balls of both feet at stops. Not a problem for some, but because of this it just felt top heavy in parking lots.

2. Bar width. Wider than FZ6. Feels very flickable for it's size.

3. Great engine! Smooth and no need to rev it up too much to get going quick! I could live with that!

I wouldn't buy this bike based on the seat height...it's a deal breaker. I wouldn't feel as in control at low speeds as I do on the FZ6. Unless the seat height could be brought down to FZ6 heights I couldn't live with that.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Fizzer6, did you try the lower positions? The highest one was perfect for 6' height (32" inseam for pants for me) and there are three seat heights available.

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Fizzer6, did you try the lower positions? The highest one was perfect for 6' height (32" inseam for pants for me) and there are three seat heights available.

Nice to hear, think I missed that feature reading over it on Yammie's site.

Us giants will appreciate this. :)

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to hear, think I missed that feature reading over it on Yammie's site.

Us giants will appreciate this. :)

Yes, there are two positions for the front of the seat + 2 for the rear, these combine to three usable positions. Low front, low rear, low front, high rear, high both, at least this is how I understood it. I think we spent 20 minutes or so trying to find all the working combinations with the shop guys when I was checking the bike:)

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, there are two positions for the front of the seat + 2 for the rear, these combine to three usable positions. Low front, low rear, low front, high rear, high both, at least this is how I understood it. I think we spent 20 minutes or so trying to find all the working combinations with the shop guys when I was checking the bike:)

How do you adjust the seat? Do you have to remove the seat first?

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the seat is adjustable. I'm 5'6 and in low position felt the same as on fz6. Also it can be lowered at the forks if needed.

What looks weird to me is the bike has these wide cowlings on the front of the tank, and it gives a feel of a GS or S10 bile. Not a biggie and some like that look.

Also, I do like the wider steering bar, but this one is a bit overboard. Add the useless hand guards and you do feel as on a GS. Plus watch out for not braking someones mirror when filtering in traffic. I'd probably take them off, and it will even give more clearance for a wider windshield.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you adjust the seat? Do you have to remove the seat first?

Yes, you have to remove the seat. It detaches separately from the rear seat. There are two slots for the front of the seat and a two-position plastic frame under the seat whose position determines the seat height.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know how easy those handguards are to take off, and does it look ok? Or is it really obvious there's a bit missing?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot to add to this thread!

I Got to ride my buddy's brand new US FJ-09 a couple weeks ago.

Biggest impressions.

1. Seat height! Much higher than FZ6. Not a good bike for anyone under 5'9" unless you plan to lower it. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs and had to stand on the balls of both feet at stops. Not a problem for some, but because of this it just felt top heavy in parking lots.

2. Bar width. Wider than FZ6. Feels very flickable for it's size.

3. Great engine! Smooth and no need to rev it up too much to get going quick! I could live with that!

I wouldn't buy this bike based on the seat height...it's a deal breaker. I wouldn't feel as in control at low speeds as I do on the FZ6. Unless the seat height could be brought down to FZ6 heights I couldn't live with that.

That's odd... at 5'6" (on a good day) the seat height on the FJ09 felt pretty good to me.

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
Yamaha let me do a two day test-ride in one of the MT-09 Tracer they had there... the colors weren't the best, but the one in red is awesome.

Overall I fell in love for this motorcycle, it's like a TDM but more sportier and capable of very safe riding with two up, plenty of space for the passenger... well, I didn't found a single flaw to this motorcycle.

You can see a little more here: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer test-ride (Portuguese/Wordpress)

"V"

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really enjoyed reading the article (translated using Google). Its nice to see that the Yamaha gearbox is agricultural in all countries, although I do wonder if Mr Rossi suffers as we do?
The downside to the trader is the small capacity fuel tank.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
The downside to the trader is the small capacity fuel tank.

I can't think of a new bike that doesn't have that problem (outside of the full on adventure class of course). I'm really struggling to find anything I like with a decent range like the FZ6.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also thought that the fz6 at 19 litres was a bit small.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took a test ride last Thursday. I thought that the engine was great, bags of punch on fastest setting and still plenty on standard setting., I would love it if they could put this engine block in the FZ6 :drool:.
My biggest problem was the sitting position, the bikes seat is taller than the FZ6, and more pointed at the front which seems to push me forward. Your upper body is pretty much straight up, which is fine but it surprised me how the bottom of the leg, and foot is positioned quite far back, and it seemed like my foot was more angled (toe down) than on the FZ6, which I did not like. the saddle is less comfy than my euro S2 saddle, but of course there is an after market saddle (kerching) I'm still in 2 minds if I could get used to this riding position at all.
I thought the riding position on the MT-09 in comparison with the Tracer was slightly better as it has no risers, so your body is slightly angled forward, but unfortunately with only a 14 litre (in comparison to the Tracers 18 Litres) tank this is not an option.

The tank is much higher than the FZ6 which I think will restrict the room for a tankbag.

The colour selection for the MT-09 Tracer in the Netherlands is (IMO) terrible, the only half decent colour is blue (yes the slower one :) ) The dark green and Black are not my taste. Luckily for the guys state side the color selection is better over there.
The headers are ugly, they didn't quite manage to tie a knot in them :( (the aftermarket exhaust looks good but this is too rich for me at € 1.252,00).

All in all I'm in a bit of a dilema now, with the FZ6 I loved it straight away and now I'm wondering if I can grow to love the MT-09 Tracer, if so it would be mainly for the engine.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have looked at a few of the tracers and MT/FZ 09 in traffic and they look great but like you Martin, I am not convinced by the tank capacity and range. I
haven't sat to feel the ergonomics, and I promised the missus I would not look seriously until the end of next year for a replacement for the FZ6. ButI am following the market. Maybe a move to BMW/Ducati might be nice and tehn I think a Triumph, speed or street triple. I keep weighing up do I want stariaght commuter or the ability to run longer trips. Sometimes I think Guzzi, I have only sat, but the ergos felt fantastic on the Bellagio cruiser( thats a few years ago I know!)
I keep thinking about how good the FZ is except for the seat and how I dont really want(need) to go bigger.... ah the dilemmas!!!!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have looked at a few of the tracers and MT/FZ 09 in traffic and they look great but like you Martin, I am not convinced by the tank capacity and range. I
haven't sat to feel the ergonomics, and I promised the missus I would not look seriously until the end of next year for a replacement for the FZ6. ButI am following the market. Maybe a move to BMW/Ducati might be nice and tehn I think a Triumph, speed or street triple. I keep weighing up do I want stariaght commuter or the ability to run longer trips. Sometimes I think Guzzi, I have only sat, but the ergos felt fantastic on the Bellagio cruiser( thats a few years ago I know!)
I keep thinking about how good the FZ is except for the seat and how I dont really want(need) to go bigger.... ah the dilemmas!!!!
That's the point Adrian the FZ6 can do a bit of everything, the power is enough for me but a bit more would be nice, problem is most of the 600 commuters are well under the FZ6's 98 HP. I even tried the Honda NC750 as it's one of the most economical in it's class, after riding it I knew why :( I think the FZ1 is just a little overpowered for an economical ride, although I've toyed with the idea. A big issue with me is that the maintenance period shouldn't be too short (otherwise i'll need to do it twice a year) and very important it should stay dependable even though it lives outside.
One of the bikes I sat on was the new CBR650F, and surprisingly enough it had similar ergo's to the FZ6, it also has 90 hp, the servicing period is 12000, so better than the FZ, but I find a full fairing a bit risky, especially later when it's not on full insurance any more.

Last edited: