FJ-09/ MT-09 TRACER Official

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
seemed a good bike, to me. i saw it, i sat on it. sitting on it felt almost exactly like the FZ6 but with higher bars and lower pegs. thats it

Just what I don't want on a bike, higher bars and lower pegs. <sigh>

This space intentionally left blank.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
seemed a good bike, to me. i saw it, i sat on it. sitting on it felt almost exactly like the FZ6 but with higher bars and lower pegs. thats it

How did the stock seat feel? wider and softer? This is what hinders me from really being comfortable for long distances on the FZ6

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site

This would fix two of the four problems I have with the FZ6: Too high pegs and too narrow and low handlebar for long distance riding :) The other two being the lack of torque and weak suspension. No lack of torque on the MT09 engine though and the suspension should be better according to this Visordown review so 4/4 = this could very well be my next bike since the price is not too bad.

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I set on the FJ at the bike show. I think it feels more like S10 than FZ6. Feels comfortable and in command, but the front of the tank (not at the knees), and the steering bar are too wide. Wonder how it will be at filtering cars in traffic.
Passenger seat is very good. Should be a bike for all you need (and some light off-road). Would love to test-ride it.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping that Yamaha would produce something like the FJ-09 based on the FZ-09, i.e. larger tank, fairing, luggage capability. But the $2300 price premium for the FJ-09 over the FZ-09 seems a bit steep. Are there other improvements between the two models I am missing which would justify such a differential?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping that Yamaha would produce something like the FJ-09 based on the FZ-09, i.e. larger tank, fairing, luggage capability. But the $2300 price premium for the FJ-09 over the FZ-09 seems a bit steep. Are there other improvements between the two models I am missing which would justify such a differential?

From what I've read, just about everything is better. You get better wind protection (if you like that), a more comfortable seating position, tuned and upgraded suspension when compared to the FZ-09, a whole new (and good looking) dash layout, and re-tuned fuel map to help fix the snatchiness of the FZ-09's throttle, and a few other things I can't remember.

I'm not in the market for a new bike (nor could I afford one right now), but I would definitely pick the FJ over the FZ even with the price increase.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read, just about everything is better. You get better wind protection (if you like that#, a more comfortable seating position, tuned and upgraded suspension when compared to the FZ-09, a whole new #and good looking) dash layout, and re-tuned fuel map to help fix the snatchiness of the FZ-09's throttle, and a few other things I can't remember.

I definitely like the wind protection and feel that is a very worthwhile improvement, although I'm not sure how much I think it is worth. The suspension descriptions at the Yamaha web site are identical, they are both inverted forks with adjustable preload and rebound damping, although that does not preclude the FJ being better than the FZ. Fuel map and riding mode descriptions are also the same, so maybe the same improvements have been given to the FZ. The speedo/tach/dash layout does looks quite a bit nicer on the FJ. The FJ has a center stand which is also a very nice addition. But all told, I'd be more comfortable with a $1,000 to $1,500 price premium, how about, say $9,690? No wait, I found another advantage, the FJ comes in Candy Red, that’s worth another $800 :)

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
The more I look, the more I think the fairing is the wrong shape. I'm just not old enough to want to ride an adventure bike. It needed to be more sporty and less "beaky" for me really.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the bike, and it likely be my next one, but the front fairings and the steering could be narrower.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, the bike should have bigger tank, like FZ6 5.1 gallon! I will continue riding my FZ6 because of the tank capacity it has!

I totally agree, I don't understand why they build so many motorcycles with tiny fuel tanks. Nothing more annoying that having to worry about fuel when you're out touring. Bikes should have a 300 mile range, maybe 200 or less if you're on a bike that is designed for the track. The biggest jokes are the adventure bikes, most can barely go over 200 miles. You would think an adventure bike should have a range of 300-400 miles.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I clock 47 MPG all day long on my FZ09 if I milk it. That's 140ish miles. I can push 150 miles using the reserve. The FJ should clock close to 190-200 miles a tank IMO.

I have that thing lately to trade in the FZ6R for a FZ07 and bolt a S-10 fuel tank on it. Some of the guys bang mid 50s MPG on that FZ07... That would make a killer weekend touring bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would never buy an FZ9, can't go anywhere with a fuel range of less than 150. You're just restricted to the city. Out west, you have a lot of stretches where there is no fuel for 100 miles.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bungee%20ASSMBLIES.jpg

+

spare-gas-can-petrol-can_1_gas_can01.jpg

Blah

But seriously.. I'd LOVE for my bike to have a 190 mile range, which is what FJ09 should have. Smaller bikes typically don't have large tanks, do they?

My current bike needs a refill at ~130, without going deep into reserve.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can also do this (the guy did this to a Ninja 250 to get ridiculous range out of 1 tank):

duke.jpg