Fixing a dented gas tank

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I bought my bike with a slanted tank from when the PO lost it on the street. I was wondering if anyone would have any good ideas how to fix it. Not a body man by any means, but it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect. Thanks
bed392e253b193ceac38a997f9935d63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That dent doesn't look very long, wide or really that deep. the worst part of this repair will be getting the right paint to match Colorite has the exact paint you will need at a very high cost, plus you need to apply clear coat over the color coat.

For the dent itself, grind the paint off from the dent using about a 40 grit and about a 2" surrounding radius from the dent, then fill with body filler and sand first using 80 grit, then 100 or 150 and finally 220 grit to get it totally smooth. Apply a 2k primer, then you are ready for paint. If this were my repair I would paint the whole tank. The Yamaha badge is available so you can replace it - apply it over the color coat but before the clear coat goes on

Edit: with all that said - this is a lot of work and I have hobbyist experience doing body work. for less headache and more cost you could spring for a pre-painted yamaha tank (new)

Last edited:

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I'm not looking to spend big bucks to fix it. I thought about trying to take the filler off and see if I can punch it out from the inside. I don't know if one of those dent poppers would work or not. I figured I would see if they make the little bottles of touch up paint with the brush and see if I could make the bare spots look any better.

It doesn't have to look perfect, just better than it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear what you are saying about not wanting to spend that much or the need for it to look perfect. IMO take it for what it is a cheap repair is going to look worse than it looks now. I don't think you would be able to reach that dent from the filler hole (after removing). It's too far forward

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hah, I've got an identical dent on mine, except on the opposite side. You won't be able to push it out from the inside, since the tanks are double walled. I tried the "heat it with a hairdryer then cool it with an upside down duster can" method and it didn't work for me. (You can google/YouTube that). Another option I've seen is to try to glue the butt end off a hammer to the center of the dent, and then physically pull the dent out. (I haven't tried that). If that does or does not work, you may still damage the existing paint. Or fill and repaint the tank as mentioned above.

Or put a big sticker over the dent.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tank isn't double walled and you have WAY MORE ACCESS going in from the fuel pump opening. This pic is looking thru the pump opening.

I replaced the tank and sold the old one to re-coup some of the $. Partzilla was about the cheapest ($500);

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W FUEL TANK Diagram

From the previous owner when I got it;

Last edited: