First day with FZ6, have some ?'s

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to the throttle body sync. I used to get bad vibrations around 6k through 8k, but now the rev range is very smooth and the vibrations are almost non existent.

If you're in the Chicagoland area, you can gladly use my manometer.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i get no vibes with this bike. none that i notice. i mean it gives a low harmonic hum or w/e. it does of course vibrate some. but it doesn't rattle about or shake. it has no "thump" to it, or rumble

my understanding is most I4's are smooth. smoother even then some people like. but anything this bike does can usually be taken care of through some hand grip accessories. so far as the frame / suspension vibrating or shaking or thumping about? i get nothing of the sort

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the above all good recommendations, there's an throttle cable adjustment just ahead of the throttle. Try and adjust that as tight as possible (without binding when the wheel is turned). That extra slop makes a bit of a difference in ridability.

Based on this thread I tightened my throttle cable to have virtually zero play. This makes a huge difference on the catchiness of the throttle. Much smoother at low speeds and coming out of turns. Thanks.

RTW

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently purchased a 06 FZ6 and noticed the throttle delay. I've read that there is a cammed throttle that allows you to adjust for that. I've yet to purchase one but probably will in due time. Here is the link to it: Dirt Bike G2 Ergonomics Tamer Throttle Tube | MotoSport Canada

Has anyone who has chimed in to this thread tried this?

On the earlier bikes (yours, 04-06) the fuel management system (thottle)was bit "snatchy".

What tha kit does is change from linear, even pull of the throttle cable and basically "evens" it out to help eliminate that issue.

I don't have one (S2 model), but everything I've read, here and FJR forum, it does in deed help.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on this thread I tightened my throttle cable to have virtually zero play. This makes a huge difference on the catchiness of the throttle. Much smoother at low speeds and coming out of turns. Thanks.

RTW

RTW,

Yepper.

It didn't take me long after I bought the bike used, how loose it was, making shifting, starting, etc, much harder to do (at least smoothly).

All my previous bikes over the last 40 years, I keep the throttle cable as tight as possible WITHOUT ANY BINDING... Much better throttle control...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For JesseeS,

Re stalling, idle, etc. As posted above, it shouldn't stall if the idle is set correctly. I can, on flat ground, idle set at 1,100, let the clutch out very slowly and the bike will go (NO throttle) and idle down the road(with my 200 lbs on it) without a problem..

Some have posted not to lug it, which I agree.

I can say, I can cruise at 2500 RPM, in 6th gear, open the throttle and it will pull, very smoothly, no knocking, pinging, etc. I don't do this often, (late at night in a reidential zone, keping the noise down from my aftermarket pipes.

At 4K RPM's is 48 actual MPH (6th gear). The city I live in, that speed is about average and the majority of the time, I'm running at 4k. Nailing the thottle at that RPM, the bike will pull very strongly (obviously NOT as strong as if at 8k) but plenty to get ahead of cage traffic.

The bike does need to be fully maintained, good plugs, a very accurate throttle sync, chan mainatained, etc..

Last edited:

JesseeS

Reaction score
Visit site
Was taking an off ramp today and it died on down shift again. I got pissed, pulled over at sat for a minute. I just stared at my Speedo and realized something..my idle was set at 900rpms. Dear god. I set it to 1000-1200 rpms and it hasn't cut out since. Also rides much smoother now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk