First Bike - Yamaha FZ6

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and the FZ. It's a great bike and forum!!!

I would recommend reading about riding techniques. I started riding street bikes two years ago. I read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough just after taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. (I am a teacher, sorry) It is very helpful. It is well written with specific instructions for much needed techniques. Another one is "Total Control" by Lee Parks. My Hubbie, son, and I spend our winters reading about riding while the bikes sit in their own garage then in the Spring we are ready to go and get riding as often as possible. When you can, I would take the bike to a parking lot and practice panic stops and slow speed maneuvering.

Good luck!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the best forum and motorcycle out there. Lots of good advise so far from this great bunch of motorcyclists. I might suggest getting taller boots and not the shortys. Motorcycle footpegs can trash a leg or ankle pretty easily and the taller boots serve to protect the fragile ankle and leg area in case of a crash better. Just my 2 cents worth. Now what's two cents worth in Canadian money! LOL. Enjoy your hopefully new motorcycle. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

^^ True dat!

Welcome to the forum!
I never wrote a review for them but I highly recommend Dainese Torque series boots. They have a hard pivot that only allows fore/aft motion. I love my boots and feel like for the money spent, these are security I can trust to not destroy my ankle should the inevitable occur.

Grab ten other random boot and TWIST THE SOLE AWAY FROM THE CAFE, they all just twist. These DON'T! Great Boot for Comfort too!

New:
attachment.php

3 Years later - and saved my Ankle 3X! That's worth $275!!!
attachment.php

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again everyone! I'll certainly look into some books about riding and also those riding boots like sweet! little over my budget though, maybe ill find a deal!

I'm looking at the Cortech Super 2.0L 12L tank bag online right now. Does anyone have pics of those mounted on the fz6 tank? That bag with all of the other COrtech seems to have great reviews and I like the clean solid look of it.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again everyone! I'll certainly look into some books about riding and also those riding boots like sweet! little over my budget though, maybe ill find a deal!

I'm looking at the Cortech Super 2.0L 12L tank bag online right now. Does anyone have pics of those mounted on the fz6 tank? That bag with all of the other COrtech seems to have great reviews and I like the clean solid look of it.

On deals - Cyclegear shops seem to have great sales fairly often and 'clearance' items that you might get lucky with - check one out if you have a store near you.. I got a set of Sedici boots that were $179 for $39 on clearance, and a Bilt helmet with built-in retractable shades for $59 - normally $169. Shop well!

On MSF courses - During my MSF course last September, our instructor who was in his late 50's, told us about one class he instructed where he had a guy in his early 60's attend the class with his grandson - he came away amazed at what he learned, with 30+ years of riding already under his belt. That says alot, I think.

Congrats again - Man your post and buying success has me itching.. By early March at the latest I will be joining the ranks here.. Until then I get to ride with my best bud on occasion on his FZ1 while he rides a Katana 600 - Old friends bike who passed away(not from riding). We are trying to help the family by helping to sell it for them as they don't do English well and don't understand bikes at all.. The CanoTuna needs to be ridden to keep it in shape so I get to ride my bud's FZ1 while he 'warms up' the Katana properly.. :)

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I know a lot of people wear them, but i have seen enough pictures of ripped and torn mesh things to not trust them!

My mesh overpants (Tourmaster) survived my crash and haven't torn. My friend got hit at the highway and although jacket (Fly) won't be good for anything anymore, he didn't got any road rash or injuries from pavement (other than impact it self).

I go for a leather jacket and some Hood riding jeans, not super water proof, but i feel that i can trust them in a fall.

This heavily depends on where are you riding. In California temperatures easily can go over 80s. In my experience leather (even perforated) becomes unpractical on longer rides. I've suffered from heat exhaustion and dehydration once on motorcycle - it was tough. Took me around 5 hours to recover. I've made personal choice then: I'm accepting little less protection of mesh in favor of additional cooling (I'm using vapor vest if it's really hot).

I would prefer wear leather all the time, however I haven't found solution for CA climate so far.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm scratching the Cortech bags idea. Im sure theyre great and look good, but pricey(for a dutchman such as myself!) I like the Ogio Duffle Tailbag and the saddlebags that can go with it, it's quite a nice set up. Im saving about 50 bucks by going with the Ogio opposed to the Cortech bag.
**also, the Ogio bags are modelling on an FZ6 in red like mine so that kind of sold me haha!

Here's my price list for all the equipment I plan on buying..
*Keep in mind that these are Canadian prices and it's all free shipping. I was looking at a couple retailers in the US and their prices were slightly better, but once duty and other border fees were factored in, I would only be saving 30-40 bucks and if I had to return anything it would be impossible. (The Canadian retailer has a free return policy)

Scorpion Hat Trick Jacket
CA$249.95

Icon Overlord Overpants
CA$112.46

Alpinestars Fast Lane Shoes
CA$125.96

Alpinestars Scheme Kevlar Gloves - 2012
CA$62.96

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner
CA$12.56

S100 Engine Brightener
CA$8.96

Ogio Tail Bag
CA$75.59

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
and since the front tire is at about 50% tread wear and I'm a new rider, I'll be looking for a brand new front tire to keep me upright if I get into a sticky situation.

Michelin Pilot Powers are looking pretty tempting!

D

Deleted member 24810

Hello everyone,

I am on the verge of owning a Yamaha FZ6. After researching bikes for a couple months, my heart has settled on an FZ6 for the looks and also comfort and medium power.

The bike I will likely be buying Saturday is a 2007 FZ6 with 18,000km(11,000 miles) for 4500. The seller said he would come down to 4000 for me and throw in a cover and a fender eliminator kit. He says he has never put the bike down and there is no evidence that it wad down before(no scratches etc). The rear tire has 4000km on it and the front is original(likely needs to be replaced IMO). Everything in the pics looks nice and clean to me.

Here's the link, sorry I don't know how to embed.

Used 2007 Yamaha FZ6 Motorcycle For Sale In TORONTO ON - autoTRADER.ca

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

I was going to buy that one before I bought mine. Didn't get a good feeling from the seller. Has been for sale for quite a while now. I'd look elsewhere but up to you.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to buy that one before I bought mine. Didn't get a good feeling from the seller. Has been for sale for quite a while now. I'd look elsewhere but up to you.

I was actually afraid of posting it here in case someone snatched it up before I got to it! I ended up buying it and it's a very clean bike. Once I have it cleaned up and waxed I'll post pics.. I ordered a whole slew of s100 stuff for it so I should be posting something Saturday night, as I'm thinking I'll spend close to 10 hours on it.

As for the ad, it was posted December 22 I believe and sold January 9, so, up for 3 weeks total, not too bad:)

D

Deleted member 24810

I was actually afraid of posting it here in case someone snatched it up before I got to it! I ended up buying it and it's a very clean bike. Once I have it cleaned up and waxed I'll post pics.. I ordered a whole slew of s100 stuff for it so I should be posting something Saturday night, as I'm thinking I'll spend close to 10 hours on it.

As for the ad, it was posted December 22 I believe and sold January 9, so, up for 3 weeks total, not too bad:)

He had it for sale since August. I could have had, but purposely chose not to.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
He had it for sale since August. I could have had, but purposely chose not to.

Then I guess I owe you a thank you for leaving it for me!:p

I was unaware that it was available since August, I was just going by the posting date on Kijiji. Strange that a bike in such great shape wouldn't sell!

Anyways, all is well with the bike, can't wait to spend the weekend cleaning it! Will post pics!