First bike! FZ6 or CBR600F4i??

007hamster

Reaction score
Visit site
Say I find:

An '02 F4i for $2700 with 25,000 miles
and
An '04 FZ6 for $2700 with 25,000 miles

just for example, what are the pros/cons of each?

They've both got FI, both 599cc, both Liquid Cooled, both have 6 speed gear boxes... Whats different between these??

I guess the main difference is in seating position and handling??

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the similarities you have listed are where the similarities end.

the cbr has 111hp and the fz6 has about 95 or so. the cbr is a twin-cylinder and the fz6 is a 4 cylinder.

what does that mean to you? you wont have developed the necessary throttle control to keep the torquey and more powerful cbr shiney side up. sure most of the time you'll be fine.....but at a moment when you need precise throttle control....you wont have it and the raging cbr will buck you off.

the fz6 is still pretty damn quick and many people will tell you it is too much for a starter bike. i started on it and sure got in over my head a few times, but the fact that the power comes on later in the rpms means it CAN be quite a bit more forgiving. as long as you dont rev the piss out of it its not so bad. the cbr on the other hand......is rearing to go from 0 rpm all the way to the redline.

the fz6 is what i started on. amazing bike.....and tons more comfortable too. and you can order a full fairing for it if you are into the fully-faired look.

3789d1210790308-side-fairings-make-fully-faired-fz6-dsc00004.jpg

n15726909_35692752_149.jpg

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
neither. i love the fz6 but i don't believe it is a wise choice for a first bike. some have started on it. that doesn't make it a good starter bike.

definitely wouldn't recommend a cbr as a first bike.

007hamster

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got about 20 hours on a KLX250s (Dual Sport) and figured if I keep a 4 cyl under 7k rpm, I should be able to keep the power under control.

If a 600 is too much for a beginner, I do enjoy the Suzuki SV650s.

Chillin

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually looked at the f4i before buying the fz6 as well, the decision maker for me was comfort(if you have any interest in the sport touring side of the fz6) and I don't remember the numbers but they wanted like 2 or 3 times as much per year for insurance on the cbr. Thankfully the insurance companies seem to have bought off on the fz6 not being a "true sport" bike!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Either the SV or the Fz are ok as a starter bike. A big difference is riding position, the CBR and the SV are much more forward sportbike riding style whereas the FZ is more upright and has better wind protection.
If you like the sportbike ride style get the SV, a nice v twin with great handling.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
It really depends on your experience. Of course, I'd go with the FZ6. If you are new to riding, then I wouldn't go with either one. I'd get yourself a 250cc starter bike with the understanding that you will want to sell it in a few months. You can easily sell a used Nighthawk or Ninja 250 for exactly what you paid for it. Just my opinion. Everybody has one.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
my previous bike was a CBR 600 F4,
i have to say that you should definitely avoid it. because:

1) bikes fall, its the law of physics. the cbr is covered with plastics that will scratch, break and ruin their screw bases. it will set you back plenty of $$ every time it will fall

2) the CBR is a sport bike and it has clipons to steer it, they are alot narrower and its very poor to maneuver in traffic and for doing u-turns, parking etc

3) its significantly stronger on low RPMS thus it alot more prone to spins than the fz6 thats alot user friendlier

4) fazers have a centre stand, most cbrs's dont, thats a usefull thing

5) the riding position of the CBR is alot more horisontal than the fazer. be prepared if you have any lower back issues.

6) the similarities you write are not similarities, they are category rules, pretty much all bikes are Fi, and 6 gears, and a ton of them have 4c inline 600cc

if youre considering the fazer and and the CBR, i say go for the fazer even though its uglier than the CBR, but protects from the wind better

if youre considering the fz6, go for it, since its just as good looking and head/turning as the CBR.

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fz6 can be a handful if you throw it around by the scruff of the neck, but it is also my first road bike. My previous experience was working on a property in the outback dirtbiking everyday chasing cattle for 7 months. I'd say that gave me some useful prior experience of throttle control so I wasn't nervous of the FZ6. To a newcomer I'd be wary of 600cc bikes but if you're not fazed by any of the above comments you may have reasons to get one and just be very strict with yourself not to explore the bikes limits otherwise its more likely you'll find yourself in an unwelcome sticky situation.

As for the CBR, I guess the same applies but I haven't tried it yet.

The ride on the Fz6 is very comfortable for lots of different size and shapes of people and if you intend to rack up the miles, could well be the best option, on the flipside it handles very well and feels agile but also tends to be quite forgiving I've found.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a death wish then the CBR is right for you. If not, I would get the FZ. I rode cruisers for 7 years before buying the FZ last year and the FZ scared me the first ride I took on it. It has plenty of power (if not too much) for a new rider but is light and easy to handle.

If you really want a CBR (I do) then work up to it. Just my .02

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Aleziel summed it up beautifully. 600 cc in line 4's are not by any stretch of the imagination starter bikes. They are powerful bikes. Traditionally, 250 cc bikes are starter bikes. As stated above, if you dive into the sport you'll likely outgrow them fast, but you'll learn a ton in the process and your mistakes will be mitigated by their limited power. As stated again, they will selll or trade for near what you paid for them, particularly if you bought one used. Some dealerships even offer to give you the full purchase price of a Ninja 250 for example, towards the purchase of a larger bike when you come back within a year.

Having said all this, if you are doing well on your dual sport and can excercise self control, you will probably do fine on the FZ6. The FZ6 IMHO is a prince of a bike. Very well mannered in all circumstances and to unleash its wild side you must deliberately drive the RPM's over 7K or so. The CBR and R6 will unleash their fury much quicker and as a result are what I consider less forgiving of our deficiencies in skills.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Say I find:

An '02 F4i for $2700 with 25,000 miles
and
An '04 FZ6 for $2700 with 25,000 miles

just for example, what are the pros/cons of each?

They've both got FI, both 599cc, both Liquid Cooled, both have 6 speed gear boxes... Whats different between these??

I guess the main difference is in seating position and handling??

The biggest difference is the amount of plastics, and the insurance. As has been said, the CBR will be more expensive to maintain as a result of the body work.

If those aren't a concern, then you get to handling and seating. Narrow bars, feet high and aft, constantly looking 'up' to see forward.....

Another area of consideration will be how thrashed the bike is. Dollars to donuts, that CBR with 2 more years on it is probably more abused. I'd strongly recommend you bring along a knowlegeable friend to look whatever bike you get serious about over before plonking down your hard earned scratch.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
You need at least a year on a smaller bike before moving onto a big bike like the FZ6 in my opinion. It has 98 HP! That is more than my girlfriend's Ford KA!!!

I did a year on a 125, then a year on a 500 twin before feeling anywhere near ready for an inline 4 600c bike. Even then, it was a lot different.

I would recommend a bike like a Kawasaki GPZ500 (what I had as my second bike and loved it) or a 400cc for a while first. Or get a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER5. All of these bikes can be bought cheap for a few years old, will not really depreciate in the year you have it and let you build up your skills gradually. They are great commuter & starter bikes. It's more likely to get damaged so I'd buy second-hand. Also, those bikes are lighter and less likely to get dropped because of this and also less likely to kill you or those around you.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with a bunch of the replies so far.

The F4i will be a fantastic bike but you have to be good on throttle control and experience and yes you will be more hunched over (but it will feel good when you're going fast and/or cornering :D). I had a 1999 F4 and I think the difference between that and the F4i was fuel injection (and all the goodies FI gets you) and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff too but still you have power, clipons, etc.

The FZ6 is more upright and is not such a racer type bike left of 8K RPM.

I love my FZ6 but these days, I keep missing my old F4 and keep trying to make the FZ6 into one.

As far as so-called "beginner" bikes, I'd pick the FZ6 because you can tame it just as long as you stay below 8K (if you're really a beginner, stay below 5-6K RPM). It's hard to call either a beginner bike. Insurance cost tells me the FZ6 is not as sporty as the F4.

I know this is totally subjective and I don't mean to be insulting at all but I really think the FZ6 crowd is a bit more mature (not necessarily age either) than the CBR crowd (F4s, RRs, etc. included). I used to frequent the CBR forums but it got so tired reading posts by mouthy 20 somethings that still think they're invincible. No offense intended -- I guess when you're young like that you think differently. I know not all are like that but the CBR forums leave me with that impression. Part of why I buy includes good support through forums, etc.

3337002766_4284c25fae.jpg

Anyway, I really miss that F4 and at the time longed for an F4i; I bought the F4 5 days before Christmas for about $2700 (including tank bag and Joe Rocket Jacket and put $300 into it) and traded 5 months later and got about $2500 back for a minimal loss). I think they hold value well if you buy right (for a motorcycle at least). You you may be able to get a cheaper F4i if you wait for a bad time to sell.

Good luck,

Dennis

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol at Lonesoldier's comment... basically, if you buy the CBR (twin???), you're a dead man :rof: yeah ok....

IMHO, it's less the bike and more the rider that is important when it comes to safety... I almost killed myself multiple times on my first bike which was a CB500 twin capped at 37HP... there are no stats out there showing that the larger displacement bikes yield more accidents, and bikes get faster and faster every year no matter what... so, what's important IMO is not the bike, it's what's in your head, i.e. take riding classes, read books, get good gear and wear it, respect your bike, understand and study the risks, and how to avoid them, go to the track, find a good mentor that can help you... etc...

Now, for your first bike, you've already decided to buy used, which is a great move since you will drop your first bike eventually (and used = cheaper to fix), but what will you use the bike for? If you plan on going to the track and carving canyons, I would recommend the CBR... if you plan on commuting and doing occasional wkd rides with your girlfriend, I'd recommend the FZ6... The CBR is a race machine, while the FZ is a sport-touring machine... buy the one with ergos that fit you for the riding you will be doing...

Good luck and let us know!

Last edited:

007hamster

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of great info. I'm really bummed I can't afford an '07 FZ, I love the redesign.

The only thing I'm not sure I like about the honda is the clip-ons.

If an i4 is too powerful, I was looking at the 2003 SV650s.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Lots of great info. I'm really bummed I can't afford an '07 FZ, I love the redesign.

The only thing I'm not sure I like about the honda is the clip-ons.

If an i4 is too powerful, I was looking at the 2003 SV650s.

The motor is the same between the SV650, and the SV650S.... the difference is the clip ons. Power wise... power delivery and lessend peak out put; the SV is the easier bike to learn on. Stronger torque, and more even response will get you through 100 MPH without any trouble, and is easier to ride in traffic.

The Non-S version would have better ergonomics, and if you feel froggy you can tweak it with clip ons etc.