FINALLY!! Custom Taillight...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you who remember my post from before (Proof of theory and such...), or got re-directed here from the old thread, I decided to make a taillight insert to go in the stock housing that had integrated turn signals. Well, after one botched design and about a forever of waiting, I finally got it built and installed... enjoy!

View attachment 19993
View attachment 19994

Wiring
View attachment 19995
View attachment 19996
View attachment 19997
View attachment 19998

Running Light, standing:
View attachment 19999

Running light, squatting: (my head is even with the headrest of my car)
View attachment 20000

Brake Light, standing:
View attachment 20001

Brake Light, squatting:
View attachment 20002

More pics coming, and video if I can remember my youtube login info...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Brake light standing, then squatting:
View attachment 20013
View attachment 20014

Brake light, in the dark, standing then squatting:
View attachment 20015
View attachment 20016

Brake light, at an angle, standing then squatting:
View attachment 20017
View attachment 20018

Panning back and forth with the brakes on:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5IjHI38NpA]YouTube - P1200611[/ame]

This shows the (pretty unsuccessful) turn signals. The hazards are on.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5YUxPIDqs]YouTube - P1200612[/ame]

Last edited:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
why do you think the turn signals didn't turn out so good? do you have a revision in mind for them to try and get them to work better?

The intent was to use green LEDs to integrate the turn signals into the taillight; green because when they shine through a red lens, they appear amber or yellow. The problem is that the red LEDs are too bright, and when you shine any light through a filter, a certain amount of that light is lost. Since green doesn't have much red in it to begin with, when the lens filters out everything but the red portion, it doesn't appear very bright at all.

I wasn't positive this was going to work to begin with, but I really wanted to try.

barijack

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased an ebay special similar to this but with a smoked lens. When my turn signal engages, that portion of the red LEDs goes out.

For example if I put my right blinker on. Then left half of the tail light or brake light stays lit with solid red lights, however the right half of the red LEDs goes out and the amber LEDs on that half light up. In other words the amber blinkers and the red brake lights alternate. Is that a clear explanation? lol

It makes for a really distinct pattern that from what my buddies have told me is easy to see even during the day.

Maybe you can wire yours up to do a similar function and get better results in visibility.

Just trying to help. Good work on the custom light by the way.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I really like the brightness of the LEDs. Not sure I would feel comfortable with the directionals integrated into the tail light tho. I prefer to have as many and as bright of lights I can get just to make sure some cager has a better chance of seeing and not running over me.

BTW, sweet looking SVX in the garage. Don't see to many of those around anymore.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I really like the brightness of the LEDs. Not sure I would feel comfortable with the directionals integrated into the tail light tho. I prefer to have as many and as bright of lights I can get just to make sure some cager has a better chance of seeing and not running over me.

BTW, sweet looking SVX in the garage. Don't see to many of those around anymore.

I agree with this. Most of us riders, when we see a bikes integrated directional, we get it right away. Most drivers are looking for or noticing a directional signal farther out from the tail light. I like the idea of a little more separation between tail light and turn signal. It's less mistakable. I like the LED's in the stalks.

The OP's tail light is awesome and it's been an idea I've been toying with for a while. I even tried one of those LED replacements for the 1157 type bulb but it was so dim and I felt it was too unsafe. Our stock tail lights were designed to use an incandescent bulb which radiates light in a more spherical direction thus using a semi-parabolic reflector it becomes enhanced. Even if you use the equivalent lumens using LED's you lose that parabolic enhancement so you end up using more LED's to compensate. The OP's design is really great and it looks like it's got even more light output than the stock light. Great job! :rockon:

Cliff

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
... Maybe you can wire yours up to do a similar function and get better results in visibility.

I've considered this option, the problem is that I would have to redesign the board and try to come up with some more "real estate" for the logic and relays needed to pull that off. Even if I did do that, the bigger problem is that the red lens of the taillight filters out too much light to make it bright enough to be noticeable.

Both cars belong to my roommate. I'm not a big fan of the Mazda, but if he ever puts the Suby up for sale, I'm going to beg/borrow/steal to get the money for it.

If anyone is interested, I have considered making a few of these. I'll have to go back through all of my invoices to get an idea what the total cost is, but I do know the price will go down slightly if I order 4 boards (order three, get the fourth free). What I'll also most likely do is change the turn signal LEDs into additional brake lights. Should be a very simple change in board traces. Thanks for the feedback, I've been chomping at the bit to get this project finished!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
How does it distinguish between just on and braking? Are there some extra LEDs that come on for braking? Or does the normal braking system provide a supply of 5 volts normally and then up it to 12 volts upon braking?

I'm just trying to get an idea in my head how it works! :)

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
How does it distinguish between just on and braking? Are there some extra LEDs that come on for braking? Or does the normal braking system provide a supply of 5 volts normally and then up it to 12 volts upon braking?

I'm just trying to get an idea in my head how it works! :)

Actually, I figured out what resistor I needed for the full intensity (braking), then doubled the value for the running light and ran them into the same bus.
So, in a way, you are right; there are two voltage dividers, one is knocking the voltage down twice as much as the other.