Fender Eliminators - The Legal Solution?

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
So what is happening you guys. We have resources from all around the world, surely we can find a solution to your problem? Me, personally, I actually like the hugger, stock exhaust and the fender/indicators/number plate set up. Just me, I realise I am the minority (possibly on my 'Pat Malone' on this one) however, I always like to see justice done, especially for my helpful FZ6 friends.
Small, unobtrusive is goood, Ya?

So, imagine my surprise when I went outside to lunch today on my trusty bench at the Deakin law School, next to my beloved FZ6S and right next to it was!!!!!!!! A bloody little Honda Crotch Rocket with a FE, tiny indicators and after market exhaust.

What? I checked the nearby lecture theatre and indeed, yes, some snivelling first year law student had parked his scoot next to mine, right outside my office. Must ensure that fella/babe gets a Distinction in all units this year, and give him/her a higher mark when they upgrade to a Yamaha.

So, while having lunch I inspected the scoot. It appeared at least 3 years old and the mod wasn't a recent one. Given that my University is on the Great Ocean Road, no prizes for guessing where the Honda spends most of its time! Also given the large Police presence on the Ocean Road, I am sure the coppers have seen this bike.

It has me wondering this issue.

Let meknow your outcomes.

picture.php

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the motorcycles in South Africa are modified in some way or another. Most cops don’t care that much as long as the tires are ok and the hooter works. I got stopped the other day in town with slicks soon after a track day. I explained to the (ignorant) cop that the tires come new without tread and proceeded to point out how sticky they are for grip, he replied “ok”, he checked my license and I drove off. Most motorcycles don’t display plates, as the fine for not having a license plate if caught is nothing compared to the speeding fines received when they can link your plate to a speed camera.

The law only requires vehicles to go for a road worthy certificate when they change hands, so there is a lot of unroadworthy vehicles driving around. Sad but true, I suppose it’s the only advantage of living in a third world country.

FZ6-ZN

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not had much time to research this lately....Kids & work...evil combo! But i did notice the other day in AMCN, that there was a full page Ad from the Victorian Government advertising personalized number plates for bikes, and the picture used, has a bike with an FE in place...or at least, no rear fender is visible in the Advertising...

So, where does an ad like this fit into the arguement, when the Ad is from a Government department (Dept. of Transport), that works hand in hand with the Police department in licensing, insuring, and policing road users!

Surely this is an example of how silly the law is?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Your asking this when some old person in a shopping centre car park reversed straight into another lady and pinned her to her car for over an hour, and the police called it a freak accident (ie **** DRIVING, and someone who should no longer hold a license).
Keeping in mind the accident also looked like she had been moving fast, so she must have floored it, since there was only maybe 4-5 metres between where she was parked and the victim.

Then you look at the reaction when a motorcycle is involved in an accident that is someone elses fault, and the police just love to point out how dangerous motorcycling is, which is true when the roads are full of dumb @&^$s.

All of this is based on politicians pressing for the kind of coverage they can manipulate to their own ends. Logic and politicians in this country are like mixing cats and dogs.

Ka-raa

Reaction score
Visit site
generally the main problem police have with FE's is that they remove the original mud guard. If you look at some of the supersport hondas they have this tiny little piece of plastic on the stock tail setup which is all legal. Go down to your local bike shop and see if they have any plastic off-cuts lying around or just cut up your old tail plastics and attach to your newly installed FE - or just bolt on to the number plate. As long as you leave about 1/2 to 1 inch of plastic showing under the plate you'll be fine.
I've had cop friends riding to work and speedy's threatening to defect them (tossers!). But once they were satisfied that there was some type of mudguard it was all good.
Doesnt take much effort to do and can save the hassle of a budgie on your bike :)