Fenda Extenda installed

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently added a Fenda Extenda so thought I would post a couple of pictures. I opted to simply glue it (thanks for some tips from TownsendsFJR1300).

First I removed the fender and taped a towel around it to keep it from getting scuffed up. I dry fitted the FE to see where it needed to go and got some clamps and glue ready.

I used regular PVC glue, like you would use on water pipe and applied only to the Fender Extender. I used some tape around the outer edge of the fender to help protect it, but I think that was over-kill and it was kind of in the way when determining if I had the FE lined up like I wanted. After applying the glue you have some time to still move it a little. I clamped it and left it for several hours to thoroughly dry.

So far it's on solidly. I've commuted a handful of times and there seem to be no issues. I'm hopeful it will help deflect junk off the pipes & radiator better.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the only purpose to keep debris from coming up into the pipes/radiator?

What would you estimate the total cost at? Thanks for the write up.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the only purpose to keep debris from coming up into the pipes/radiator?

What would you estimate the total cost at? Thanks for the write up.

It also helps keep that "dreaded pebble" from getting inbetween your fan and radiator and eventually burning the fan motor out. It also helps keep water down a bit from spraying up should you get caught in the rain..

Fenda Extenda by Pyramid Plastics

Looks really good ltdillard!!!!

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It also helps keep that "dreaded pebble" from getting inbetween your fan and radiator and eventually burning the fan motor out. It also helps keep water down a bit from spraying up should you get caught in the rain..

Fenda Extenda by Pyramid Plastics

Looks really good ltdillard!!!!

I need to get a couple of those, we had one hit our er6n radiator but luckily it just nicked one of the fins.

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I have just under $39 for the extender; a couple of bucks for the glue if you don't already have some.

Looks like I need to polish my pipes after seeing Scott's pictures!

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
hows the fenda holding up guys? both of you did straight glue from the looks of it. i have mine ready to install but i don't want to use those plastic rivets. should i remove the double sided tape they have on the fender it comes with and just go the glue route?

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I have the same extender but in carbon, fixed with double sided tape and then a dap of bathroom sealant around the joins on both the inside and outside... Solid as a rock and holding up a treat! I've definitely noticed an improvement in the amount of crud being flung onto the downpipes.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same extender but in carbon, fixed with double sided tape and then a dap of bathroom sealant around the joins on both the inside and outside... Solid as a rock and holding up a treat! I've definitely noticed an improvement in the amount of crud being flung onto the downpipes.

I prefer black mastic instead of bathroom sealant (which is white antibacterial mastic) because of elasticity, cosmetic looks and durability.

We're using your method for licence plates in my country for not to use ugly plastic frame nor drilling the licence plate.

Your method is rock solid if mastic and double sided tape is not chinese knock-off. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you once that glue melts the two parts together, it IS ONE PIECE.

(Try removing tow pieces of glued PVC pipes apart, its NOT going to happen, same thing)

No worrying about it falling off, drilling and IMO, for looks. I don't want holes in the fender and as clean a look I can get... The Max speed I've been to was 138MPH (over a bridge before I ran out of room) and its just as solid as ever.

Yes, its a bit more time comsuming (I let mine dry over night) BUT your ONLY doing it ONCE (why its so important to have your masking tape marked so it goes on straight).

I also have a homemade radiator gaurd to help keep any pebbles from getting to the radator/fan;

click to enlarge;

Last edited:

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
No issues on mine. I have no idea how many miles since installation, but I can report that there has been riding in wet/rainy conditions and it does help keep junk off the engine and pipes.

It is an easy and pretty quick modification and I think well worth the small effort.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I had one glued on my FJR fender for years and it was rock solid. Stayed in place when I hit Bambi. Once you glue it on it's never coming off.

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. I started mine this morning after some careful measuring and it's shaping up to look great. I still have it clamped off for a little while longer and will wait to mount it in the morning.

Also, Scott, what are the measurements of that radiator guard you fabricated? I may take a swing at it. I've read a lot about fan issues and I'd rather spend a little time and money to be proactive.

What kind of material did you use? Aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, Scott, what are the measurements of that radiator guard you fabricated? I may take a swing at it. I've read a lot about fan issues and I'd rather spend a little time and money to be proactive.

What kind of material did you use? Aluminum?

Yep, aluminum, .100" thick.

The below pic's, I just snapped of my "purple template".

Take note of the cut that's towards the inside and of course the missing section(on the edge). That missing section will fit around the Yamaha main lower rubber radiator mount. Actually, looking at the original black one (its been approx 4 years its been on), where the bolt hole/tab is, the aluminum plate is slightly wider there for a little more mounting surface.

That cut (by itself) is where your going to bend it 90 degree's and drill a hole for mounting thru the stock lower radiator mount(same bolt).

The black one is what I have on my bike currently, (same exact unit, just finished up((bent and drilled)) and painted black).

I used a small bandsaw with a metal blade and a file to clean up the edges, then a wire brush attachment on the grinder.

Once bolted in its spot, its light enough you can fine tune/ tweek the bend to make sure it fits correctly. Unless you look for it, you won't see it and there's NO WAY for a rock or anything else to sneak up there..

Double click to enlarge.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hand filed the edges once cut out on the band saw(nice and straight), and used a wire brush (on the end of the counter, electric grinder) to further clean up the edges.

Bend the center tab 90 degrees, remove the Yamaha lower radiator bolt and sneak that tab in there. A little bit of masking tape on the tab allows you to mark off where to drill the mounting hole for a good fit. With the thickness of the aluminum, if its bent too much or not enough, its very easily bent to be straight on the bike.

A quick sanding to rough up the aluminum for the black paint to stick too.

Basically, just make sure, when finally tightening down, the angle of the plate takes up the space between the radiator and the radiator cowl. The plate will be able to rotate approx 90 degress.

You'll find, adjusted correctly, it takes up that entire space and eliminates ANY chance of a rock/pebble getting in there..

And lastly, you DON'T want that plate rubbing on anything (especially the radiator) and shouldn't.

Please post how it comes out!

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I just installed mine as well. I used pvc glue and also Ran a bead of rtv along the inside lip to keep crud from building up inside that lip. I haven't installed it on the bike yet, as its been rather cold here as of late.
I bought mine on Revzilla for $27