Fan on 08 FZ6N

peter caden

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi from down under is there a light to tell me the fan is on how do i know when it is working no dought i will hear it, as of yet i dont have a new service manual and do i need to look at any up grades bike has only 6,500ks been sitting for a while had it,s first service just bought it, like new,i must say it handles a lot better than my Harley:spank:Charlie

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate & :welcome: to the forum..... There is no light to show that it is working but in Darwin , if you leave it idling for any longer than 5 minutes or so it's going to cut in & you'll hear it :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi from down under is there a light to tell me the fan is on how do i know when it is working no dought i will hear it, as of yet i dont have a new service manual and do i need to look at any up grades bike has only 6,500ks been sitting for a while had it,s first service just bought it, like new,i must say it handles a lot better than my Harley:spank:Charlie
Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forum, tons of useful info here. What model ave you got, S1 or S2?
There isn't a fan running light on the S1 or the S2 as far as I know.
I would take the bike for a ride and let it stand at idle for a few minutes. The fan will come on. It's quite quite and not very noticeable when sitting on the bike with your lid on.
There have been a few issues with small rocks being flung up and obstructing the fan which can burn out the fan motor.
I regularly give my fan a push with my finger (engine off) just to make sure it spins freely.

Nelly

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
The fan kicks in at 100°C (212F) coolant temperature, and you have a
reading for the coolant temperature on your dashboard.

You'll hear it without a doubt.
You can then also turn the bike off, and put the key back to ON position
and the fan will start again (don't have to start the engine).

peter caden

Reaction score
Visit site
Tks Boy's that is all i need to know,just bought a Givi screen it might be a naked but i have to have a screen,old school even my harleys have screen's.:rockon:

Last edited:

peter caden

Reaction score
Visit site
Tks Boy's that is all i need to know,just bought a Givi screen it might be a naked but i have to have a screen,old school even my harleys have screen's.not sure what you mean by S1 or S2 how do i tell.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Tks Boy's that is all i need to know,just bought a Givi screen it might be a naked but i have to have a screen,old school even my harleys have screen's.not sure what you mean by S1 or S2 how do i tell.

There's 2 versions of the FZ6.
2004-2006 was the S1.
2007+ was the S2.

If you've got the analogue rev + digital speedo cluster, it's the S2.
S2 has better brakes, fueling, different swingarm and seat. I forgot what else.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's 2 versions of the FZ6.
2004-2006 was the S1.
2007+ was the S2.

If you've got the analogue rev + digital speedo cluster, it's the S2. S2 has better brakes, fueling, different swingarm and seat. I forgot what else.

This type of dash (first picture (but without the GPS) is an S2:

Four (4) piston pots on each front caliper is an S2 as well. The radiator over flow tank is front of the engine on an S2, the S1, its under the seat.

My temps (digital) run anywhere from (cold outside) 165F to (hot outside), not much sitting traffic, 185F. Its extremly rare for my fan to kick on as I try to avoid heavy traffic.

Re the fan and pebbles, +1 on that.. Small pebbles tend to find their way inbetween the fan and radiator. As soon as the fan tries to kick on, it fries the fan. Yes its fused, but it will NOT blow... Making something to fit at the bottom of the radiator to keep pebble out to start with will make sure you have no issues with pebbles...

Below is a bracket I made to bolt to the bike, (no modding to the bike, no drilling), please feel free to copy it or find something to put at the bottom of the radiator.

For an OWNERS MANUAL should you need it (free): http://www.bonemanfz6.com/mods.htm#manuals

PM sent too...

Last edited:

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression for the years 2004 - 2006 there was the FZ6S or FZ6N.

From 2007 on they made European versions S1 and S2, the only difference being reduced power on S1 and the inclusion of an S2 ABS model after 08. Don't think the S1 ever hit Australia, but I suppose someone could have brought one over with them...

In Aus, the FZ6R these days is a LAMS model. (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) and as such has reduced power, it is also the only fully faired FZ6 that I have heard of.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression for the years 2004 - 2006 there was the FZ6S or FZ6N.

From 2007 on they made European versions S1 and S2, the only difference being reduced power on S1 and the inclusion of an S2 ABS model after 08. Don't think the S1 ever hit Australia, but I suppose someone could have brought one over with them...

In Aus, the FZ6R these days is a LAMS model. (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) and as such has reduced power, it is also the only fully faired FZ6 that I have heard of.

I don't know.

I know in the US its strictly 04-06 is an S1, 07-09 is an S2 and there was NO naked version in the states. We also don't see the immobilizer either. Registraion wise, the manufature year IS the year of the bike. The US, I don't believe had the lower HP verion in the states either.

So pretty much depending on where you are located, there are different versions available and the "year model" may not be true/accurate...

Others have posted, although the bike was built in say 2005 (first version), if it was sold, say in Europe (oversea's) in 2008, it was registered as a 2008 model (clearly it isn't and a PIA when ordering parts)

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Just one other thing, the first version was never known as "S1" since
no one knew that they'll make the S2, so it was just the FZ6n and FZ6S
at the time (2004-2006).

When S2 came out in 2007 here (EU), you could buy 3 different bikes.

FZ6S - detuned to 78hp with 2004-2006 styling, tach, brakes etc.
FZ6n S2 - New naked version (naked version was never called a "Fazer")
FZ6 Fazer S2 - New faired version

That's how they're listed at our IRS.

peter caden

Reaction score
Visit site
Tks Boys all noted it is a S2 one thing i did note is the tenth number on the vin number is also the year of the bike this is the same on my harley strange that is how you find out the year.Also love the screen mine is a bit smaller what brand,and it has twin piston front brakes,also small mode fitted a air horn on the left lower side of the engine where the engine guard bolts on looks good will post photo,also threw away the foot pegs you guys are going to kill me fitted oversize harley set bloody terrific longer for my size 13 foot with a bit of mucking around but much better.Fitted new grips will see if the buzz is still there if so will try FZ1 bars next.Charlie

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tks Boys all noted it is a S2 one thing i did note is the tenth number on the vin number is also the year of the bike this is the same on my harley strange that is how you find out the year.Also love the screen mine is a bit smaller what brand,and it has twin piston front brakes,also small mode fitted a air horn on the left lower side of the engine where the engine guard bolts on looks good will post photo,also threw away the foot pegs you guys are going to kill me fitted oversize harley set bloody terrific longer for my size 13 foot with a bit of mucking around but much better.Fitted new grips will see if the buzz is still there if so will try FZ1 bars next.Charlie

Sounds like an S2 HOWEVER, look closer at the front brake calipers. They SHOULD have FOUR PISTONS on each brake caliper (you can see the indents if you would, on the casting).

If you look up from the floor, you should be able to see four pistons sticking out up against the brake pads

Re the buzz, foam "Grip Puppies" work well but take some getting used to.

Also, a throttle body sync usually helps, especially if it hasn't been done recently. Besides syncing at idle, check and adjust sync at 4,000 RPMs. That got rid of 90% of my vibs. Consierably smoother. Spark plugs(depending on mileage/age) and checking tightness of spark plug boot ends helps too...

Here's a link with some good tips re the sync:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/51003-question-throttle-body-sync.html

Last edited:

peter caden

Reaction score
Visit site
yep its a S2, need to fit running lights any one have them fitted and if so where,am told orange is the only one they see clear is useless.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tks scott can you send photo of your rack $340 here .

The bracket that clamps around the grab bars is a Genuine Yamaha part that I had to order from Europe.

The plate on top, I made of 1/8" aluminum, approx 1" larger than the rack. You can see that I made the plate wrap forward some of the trunk hold down part that sticks up, (just so I can have more tie down points).

I then drilled some holes for bungee cord hooks and bolted it to the rack and. Its finished off with black, truck bed liner paint (which has held up very well).

Not the cleanest looking farkle but its my only bike and I use the rack VERY OFTEN and its extremly handy. I can carry, tie down just about anything..

Last edited: