False neutrals!!!!!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not just Yamaha, We have found that it mostly happens in bikes where the rider is trying to shift too quickly without the proper amount of force. or as said clutch less. My 08 fz6 has 11,000 miles on it and has never had a false neutral. It is mostly due to rider error or abuse. I have also found some people ride with their foot on the shifter and don't realize it. This also causes premature wear and abuse.

This is exactly why it happens... :thumbup: :thumbup: :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe this is a very common problem with Yamahas. I had to rebuild the tranny on an 05 YZF600R that had the Dogs on the gear worn prematurely. When it pops out of gear that is what damages the Forks as well. Was a pretty easy job, but a bit time consuming.

Let me see if I can find my pics of the damaged parts and it will be self explanatory as to why it pops out of gear.

One of the solutions to this problem was to add a shift kit, or to make sure to Firmly shift all the way into gear every time. Some people are lighter shifters than others.

UPDATE:

I could not find my pictures of the damage, but what I documented was replacing a shift fork, the shift drum and 2nd and 6th gears. the Dogs on Second round off, and also where it meshes to 6th. When it pops out of gear that is when it damages the shift fork. I also bought a shift kit that had a stronger spring to make sure it goes all the way into gear. Here is a pic of what the shift kit consist of

52yhj9.jpg

Kit contents for YZF600r, would be about the same for FZ6
0000-Factory-Pro-Pro-Shift-Kit.jpg

here is a pic of the damaged shift fork.
shiftforkwear.jpg

You can see here the Dogs are worn on the edges. This gear looks just like the ones in our FZ6's (3 dogs)
Some manufactures use like 5 or 6 to avoid this from happening so easily.
geardogs.jpg

gears.jpg

Please note these pics are from a YZF600R rebuild, not he FZ6!!!
But should be about 98% the exact same.

Todd

I really like the shifter/roller update with bearings inside... Bet it shifts smoother too..

Morrisey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it all boils down to Yamaha making sh1te gearboxes! 2003 fazer box, 6th gear selector fooked!:(

DSC_0038_4113_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0051_4126.jpg

DSC_0054_4129.jpg

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it all boils down to Yamaha making sh1te gearboxes! 2003 fazer box, 6th gear selector fooked!:(

DSC_0038_4113_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0051_4126.jpg

DSC_0054_4129.jpg

Any bike will do it....... It is rider error. If it was Yamaha's fault there would be a recall on it do to safety issues....

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the pics, you can see the sift forks heavily damaged, even overheating in friction to judge by the blue color that the oil got on the worned part.

I think this is impossible to happen if the rider doesnt put his foot in the shift lever, because as soon as you put a gear on, this fork shift ceases his work.

I do think is rider fault too.