Extreme fuel usage after throttle body sync

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those that have not done their own sync, on the bottom of picture #2 (post 18), is a farly large block of aluminum (just below the two large vertical hoses). Thanks for the pic's BTW :) .

The adjuster screws for the 4 cylinders are located there.

Once your manometer is hooked up to the four hoses (two sticking out from each side) make sure their in order (IE 1,2,3, 4 as if their criss crossed, it'll make things a little more difficult). You can follow them forward to see which TB they go to but its right.

BTW, the air box should not come off the the sync. Lift the tank, hook up manometer and check the sync. I strongly suggest placing a large heavy duty fan in front of the headers when doing the procedure as it should be to temp and will get warm...

I saved the pic's for later use, nice clean TB's BTW!

If folks knew how easy it is to sync the TB's on the FZ, invest in the tool, it would make second guessing a rookie mechanics work a thing of the past. They screwed up my FJR, I learned from it and bought the tool. Its paid for itself many times over and I know my sync is way closer than Yamaha specs allow (and likely what the mechanic left it at)

+1 on the ECU re-set (battery disconnect) as it can't hurt...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those that have not done their own sync, on the bottom of picture #2 (post 18), is a farly large block of aluminum (just below the two large vertical hoses). Thanks for the pic's BTW :) .

The adjuster screws for the 4 cylinders are located there.

Once your manometer is hooked up to the four hoses (two sticking out from each side) make sure their in order (IE 1,2,3, 4 as if their criss crossed, it'll make things a little more difficult). You can follow them forward to see which TB they go to but its right.

BTW, the air box should not come off the the sync. Lift the tank, hook up manometer and check the sync. I strongly suggest placing a large heavy duty fan in front of the headers when doing the procedure as it should be to temp and will get warm...

I saved the pic's for later use, nice clean TB's BTW!

If folks knew how easy it is to sync the TB's on the FZ, invest in the tool, it would make second guessing a rookie mechanics work a thing of the past. They screwed up my FJR, I learned from it and bought the tool. Its paid for itself many times over and I know my sync is way closer than Yamaha specs allow (and likely what the mechanic left it at)

+1 on the ECU re-set (battery disconnect) as it can't hurt...

Thanks Scott, it a good machine but it also makes just a tad bit of thrashing sounds. . . Nothing like some of the other "active threads" but. . .

PS - you need a really LONG 3mm socketed hex driver to pull the air box. You will mentally exhaust yourself using a standard allen wrench. Oh and the bottom near the TB mounts is conveniently 4mm. Acquire tools of about 6" in length to reach in and loosen the boots should the need arise.

Here are some more "random" photos of the innards. . . Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - FinalImpact's Album: Bike P o r n

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott, it a good machine but it also makes just a tad bit of thrashing sounds. . . Nothing like some of the other "active threads" but. . .

PS - you need a really LONG 3mm socketed hex driver to pull the air box. You will mentally exhaust yourself using a standard allen wrench. Oh and the bottom near the TB mounts is conveniently 4mm. Acquire tools of about 6" in length to reach in and loosen the boots should the need arise.

Here are some more "random" photos of the innards. . . Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - FinalImpact's Album: Bike P o r n

What makes a "thrashing sound", the bike or the tool?

My Carbtune is quiet, with the open Scorps, the general engine noise is pretty much drowned out and at idle, you just hear the low growl of the exhaust... My engine is pretty quiet to start with, almost 13,000 miles with Motul 5100. At 13,000, its getting full Mobil top of the line full synthetic (I'm curious to see if I can feel any difference). Its not any noisier than my FJR (except for the pipes), maybe some extra chain noise (expected)...

I'm kinda surprised you still have the stock pipe on, its a completely different bike with an aftermarket pipe. The bike, once past approx 6k, sounds like a full, go fast liter bike and seat of the pants feel, is quicker..

I've had the air box off for maintainance, BD43 mod, etc, just never tried to adjust that mid screw as there's NO reason to...

Off the original thread, I checked my rear sprocket on the way to the GF's house. It is straight as an arrow, I don't see ANY wobble in the sprocket/hub..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's likely the TCT. I need to hear a few others and decide. Not a concern yet just a observation. Pipes in the works - just allot a lagggggggg. . . Gotta run!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I've noticed, pending getting this looked at.

I fitted my nice clean Scorpion pipes, and look what's happened to the!

WP_000214.jpg

WP_000216.jpg

Now, my bike only has 35000kms on it!

Is it me, or is it running uber rich?

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Scorps (no DB killers) don't have any black soot on them like yours do. I don't have a Power commander either, stock ECU. And yes, that appears to be "uber rich"

I assumming you didn't do a high speed run to blow the carbon out??

If that's from regular riding, I would likely be looking at your Power Commander, either the mapping or somethings wrong with it.. You may try disconnecting it, clean the pipes and see what happens..

As black as those pipes are, I'm surprised you can't smell the unburnt fuel coming out the back...

BTW, once you get the problem fixed, I'd run some Seafoam on the heavy side and give it a couple of good hard runs and blow all that crap out of the combustion chambers...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the bike is idling at 1300 or so, they can do the sync. When I do mine I have a large industrial fan that I turn on high and its placed directly in front of the headers.

I think it would behoove you to invest in a sync tool.. I have and would highly recommend a Morgan Carbtune Manometer which does NOT use fluids.

Morgan Carbtune - carburetor synchronizer for balancing motorcycle carbs

Its very accurate, extremly well made and very easy to use. The dealership down here charged me over $120 to sync my old FJR (a little more difficult to get to the vacuum ports than the FZ). the Carbtune was delivered to my door for about $85 (direct from England at the time) and has paid for itself many times over.

The FZ6 has actually 2 throttle bodies with a butterfly sync screw in the middle which is a NO NO to touch. You strictly sync with the air screws which are located on a block, under the tank on the left side. Yamaha allows for up to 10 MM's of difference in the balance, I played with mine until they were within 2-3 MM's, and thats also checking at 4,000 RPM's as I had a bit of vibration there. Fine tune syning it got rid of 90% of the vibes. If your mechanic screwed with the CENTER, THROTTLE BODY screw, that may be causing the reduced MPG's... I kinda doubt he did, but I personally would re-check WHERE EVER HE WAS AT..

I get around town about 46-47 MPG taking it fairly easy on the throttle, 40 sounds a bit low unless you changed your gearing. I do have a Speedohealer as well which sync with the GPS is DEAD on...

If you are mechanically inclined enough to raise the tank, you can sync it yourself, adjust the cables, etc yourself...

Your fuel mileage is off. The speedohealer correcting the speedo has thrown your odometer off.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Scorps (no DB killers) don't have any black soot on them like yours do. I don't have a Power commander either, stock ECU. And yes, that appears to be "uber rich"

I assumming you didn't do a high speed run to blow the carbon out??

If that's from regular riding, I would likely be looking at your Power Commander, either the mapping or somethings wrong with it.. You may try disconnecting it, clean the pipes and see what happens..

As black as those pipes are, I'm surprised you can't smell the unburnt fuel coming out the back...

BTW, once you get the problem fixed, I'd run some Seafoam on the heavy side and give it a couple of good hard runs and blow all that crap out of the combustion chambers...

+1 on :> You may try disconnecting it and see what happens..

Not sure if your bike has all the CATs but you best get it leaned out ASAP or those CAT's will be plugged. In addition to that; I'd hold up on pooring any cleaners in it until the CATs get cleaned out by a couple of tank fulls of fuel being burned at the proper AFR. . . . Ubber doesn't begin to describe this. Could be you need fresh plugs about now too. I'm kinda surprised you say it "runs great" and idles great. I'd pull the PC and reset the ECM. Ride it for a bit. just my 2 cents. . .

PS - by cleaned out - I mean leaned out w/proper AFR

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your fuel mileage is off. The speedohealer correcting the speedo has thrown your odometer off.

Yep, the Speedohealer while fixing the speedometer will change the odometer, thats a given

Checking mileage by a dead on GPS, is pretty accurate. I'd rather have an accurate speedometer than an odometer as your less likely to get stopped for speeding when you know your actual speed and ride accordingly..

When I changed the stock plugs out for iridiums the stock with 10,000 miles on the clock, they looked new and the color was dead on, so I'm not concerned what so ever on how the ECU/throttle bodies, etc are indeed working fine...

This is how my tail pipes look without cleaning under normal useage:

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PC3usb removed - and now, the pipes look like this:-

WP_000224.jpg

I've been called into work, so let's see if they're still so shiny after 120kms tomorrow morning!

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just cleaned up, at this stage - I'm at work now and finish tomorrow morning (actually, it's been 'tomorrow morning' for 12mins!)

Anyway, they look nice and clean after 60kms to work, and no doubt they'll be just as clean after the 60kms to get me home.... (considering it only took 400kms to get them really dirty)

We'll see, but maybe, just maybe, the PC3usb was enriching the mixture too much. (I checked the vacuum lines when I pulled the PC3usb from the bike today (actually yesterday, now!) and all looked ok)

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Working on a holiday??? Oops, nevermind...

Actually, in my line of work, we don't HAVE holidays.

For the last 6 years I've worked Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Easter etc.

Double-time and a half for those days, and if others don't want it - I'll take it every time!'

Cheers,
Rick