Extended Storage

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance is coming to the point of renewal on the 14th of this month, and since I leave for basic training on the 23rd, it looks like my riding season is just about over. Whenever I pack it up, it looks like I am going to have about 1000 miles on the current oil and filter (Rotella Synthetic and K&N Filter). My total training is going to take about a year and a half, so it may remain in storage the entire time. Normally, when I winterize the bike I always change out the oil/filter, but with only 1000 miles on it, will it be fine to just leave and change it out whenever I finally get my bike back?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd leave the oil in it but I'd drain or run out all the gas, battery tender or remove the battery, park on centerstand and put some mouse poison near on on the bike if it's in a place mice can get too it- and stuff the air intake with steel wool so they can't get in as it's a favorite place to buid a nest and chew on wires .

Thanks for your service.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I agree with Red's advice to drain the tank. I'd follow the same protocol you would when you winterize the bike. Stabile the gas, battery tender, and get the bike up off the tires (center stand vs paddock stands). If the oil is reasonably fresh, leave it in there, but otherwise change it out before storage.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I think I will just leave the current oil in, and whenever I come back for my bike, just change the oil and the rest of the fluids then.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I agree with Red's advice to drain the tank. I'd follow the same protocol you would when you winterize the bike. Stabile the gas, battery tender, and get the bike up off the tires (center stand vs paddock stands). If the oil is reasonably fresh, leave it in there, but otherwise change it out before storage.

+1 on the above or your gas tank will collect moisture and rust up... I'd add a good amount of SEAFOAM to the tank and run it to get it in the system. It'll also help protect the tank from rusting.

Also, Thank you for your service and come back safe....