Exhaust Pipe Polishing

how difficult is it to remove the pipes? not being mechanically inclined whatsoever, i would be scared out of my mind to try and do something like that if i didn't know what i was doing. can it just be done with a screwdriver? any tips, etc. please? they really need a cleaning and being able to take them off would make it a helluva lot easier :thumbup:

Size 12 wrench will loosen the nuts at the engine block (this is a simple operation..a monkey could do it safely! so you've nothing to worry about there). You then need a larger wrench to take off the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust on the right hand side and then the single bolt holding the exhaust to the rest of the exhaust under the rear shock.

Thats it! :)

PS: when putting the nuts back on the bike...you should really use a torque wrench...this is vital as this is the life of your engine..get it wrong and rupture the seals inside will be a pain (not devastating..but a pain). You'll have to buy new seals then.

Other then that...have fun! :)

Last edited:
I Just 2 * 3 minutes on the first pipe, - I used a product called Crome Cleaner, it's a whipe on, wait till dry, wipe off prododuct.

Heres the first pipe cleaned (And the unclean next to it):

^ Nice, the yoshimura paste I used also removed the yellowish colour. But after some time, they went back to their dirty old self. So I got used to them having that 'dirty' look

EDIT: Cleaning headers

Last edited:
Jeez!!! It took me 3800 miles to get mine to the all-fancy rainbow blued steel colors... Am I supposed to polish that off now? :rof:

Seriously, GREAT job on the pipes! Maybe when my season is over I'll try some of these techniques. Thanks!!

+1 I love the rainbow look LOL

Back