Exhaust odor/smell in clothes?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That link for the exhaust gasket isn't close and won't fit..

As for other Yamaha FZ6 exhaust gaskets being interchangeable, go to Partzilla and look up part #'s to see if their the same.

You can take a file lightly to the inside of the pipe that had the car exhaust clamp on it. It'll show real quick if that pipes distorted.
if it is, again, a muffler shop can easily expand that pipe to normal.

I still have my CAT, so I worked up from there. I seriously doubt that pipe is oval. The car clamp could have very easily distorted it.

As you've seen, the stock gasket fits tight in the pipe or its going to leak.

You may have to wait till Monday but call Scorpion and see if the joints in question take a Scorpion gasket or just the Yamaha one
(most likely the Yamaha one, one less thing to manufacture/sell)

Also, should ANY pipe ends be oval...If not, again, the muffler shop can make them round again..

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
That link for the exhaust gasket isn't close and won't fit..

As for other Yamaha FZ6 exhaust gaskets being interchangeable, go to Partzilla and look up part #'s to see if their the same.

You can take a file lightly to the inside of the pipe that had the car exhaust clamp on it. It'll show real quick if that pipes distorted.
if it is, again, a muffler shop can easily expand that pipe to normal.

I still have my CAT, so I worked up from there. I seriously doubt that pipe is oval. The car clamp could have very easily distorted it.

As you've seen, the stock gasket fits tight in the pipe or its going to leak.

You may have to wait till Monday but call Scorpion and see if the joints in question take a Scorpion gasket or just the Yamaha one
(most likely the Yamaha one, one less thing to manufacture/sell)

Also, should ANY pipe ends be oval...If not, again, the muffler shop can make them round again..
The Scorpion fitting guide doesn't say anything about a gasket. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...V0YiOD8MU4KulSXYQ&sig2=QDiMheVxkYuBiSV86YDltQ

Do you think that because the exhaust I have is for a 2004-2006 that maybe the gaskets for the y is different? I tried really hard to fit the gasket but it's way too big. I ended up basically unwinding it and using the chunks of it to make the best seal I could on the ID and OD. Not sure what else I can do if scorpion doesn't sell a gasket and both the S1 and S2's gaskets are the same.(which I have yet to verify but I will look it up.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just read the actual directions I have from 2009.

Again, I have the original Cat.

It basically says remove the exhaust, There are NO gaskets between the "Y" pipe and the muffler.

Slip the Y pipe into the CAT pipe(doesn't say anything about gaskets).

***I just looked at the top of my CAT pipe and the "Y" pipe. I do NOT see a gasket, it appears to be steel on steel....***

AND, the instructions I do have are for your pipes (with the tips) for 2004-2006 models...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. So how am I supposed to keep it from leaking? You think just having the right clamp would fix it?

On a totally unrelated note, do you know what MCCT I should I get for my S2? APE doesn't sell one specifically for the Fazer, will the MCCT for the 2003-2004 R6 work?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently its just a snug fit and the clamp takes up the rest...
As I re-call, the one pipe went into the other at least an inch, maybe more....

I know I didn't have any issues, just clean, maybe some WD40 and slip em together..

.I've never seen someone use the old style automotive clamp on a bike, (DA)

As for the manual CCT, IDK. The R6 would probably be the same, again either check part #'s for both bikes or call the manufacturer..

IMO, If your going to replace it, just get a new OEM, latest model. And pull the RS cover when you put whatever tensioner in there.
Just so you can keep tension on the chain with a zip tie so it doesn't jump a tooth at the crankshaft when the old tensioner gets pulled.

You may want to read this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...oner-now-what.html?highlight=manual+tensioner

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently its just a snug fit and the clamp takes up the rest...
As I re-call, the one pipe went into the other at least an inch, maybe more....

I know I didn't have any issues, just clean, maybe some WD40 and slip em together..

.I've never seen someone use the old style automotive clamp on a bike, (DA)

As for the manual CCT, IDK. The R6 would probably be the same, again either check part #'s for both bikes or call the manufacturer..

IMO, If your going to replace it, just get a new OEM, latest model. And pull the RS cover when you put whatever tensioner in there.
Just so you can keep tension on the chain with a zip tie so it doesn't jump a tooth at the crankshaft when the old tensioner gets pulled.

You may want to read this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...oner-now-what.html?highlight=manual+tensioner

Okay thanks, I just wanted to see what you replaced it with. The OEM would fail after another 20k probably though?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha's (not just the FZ, the FJR early models too) had a CCT with a lighter duty spring.

The newer CCT's you'd get now should have the stiffer spring.

There's numerous threads here about failures. You'll hear rattling coming from the side of the engine.

It'll get worse over time but once it starts you generally have a good amount of time to replace it
BEFORE it becomes critical..

If any doubt, go ahead and change it.

I would strongly suggest pulling the RS cam chain cover and zip tie the chain taught
when no CCT is INSTALLED (while swapping).

It takes a little longer BUT the chain won't skip a tooth (which does happen
occasionally) and cause MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS..

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates on the exhaust?

Did the new, correct clamp fix the leak??

I just got the clamp today actually, slow shipping. Thanks for the info on the CCT. I'll let you know if I notice a difference once I get the correct clamp on.

What do you think OP? Has any of our banter helped you at all? I'm curious to know if you have found a solution or what the exhaust clamping looks like on your bike, if you have an aftermarket exhaust, etc.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM gaskets are good stuff and allow for slight misalignment. The slip fit gasketless can be leak free if fitted proper and to to the proper depth. As in the past the slots.

FWIW - they make an ultra high temperature silicone to fill the small void between the pipe fittings. It is not cure all filler for voids and slots or gaps. The exhaust gasses will remove it from all areas except the lap part of the joint.

As for the moisture coming out, thats normal and goes away when the exhaust and engine reach operating temperature. It has more to do with the moisture in the air than anything.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2Bro Clamp
IMG_20150120_154129_948_zps10bac8de.jpg

Home made delete using OEM mounts and ends:

Photobucket what a joke! Dont access sight directly as it loads cr@p on your phone saying it has a virus. I'll try to fix link later...

SIMN

Reaction score
Visit site
Still got a leak somewhere...

Any updates SIMN?

Sorry Scott. I tried to look after leaks, nothing found. Some of my friends say I'm to "exaggerative" about the smell.. I don't know. Im going to buy the Dominator exhaust for my bike but after christmas. Maybe it will fix the problem?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on where it's leaking it may.

You should have a bit less back pressure and easier flow out to the tips of the pipes...

It'd definitely sound better with the pipes thou, (for the better IMO)

SIMN

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on where it's leaking it may.

You should have a bit less back pressure and easier flow out to the tips of the pipes...

It'd definitely sound better with the pipes thou, (for the better IMO)

Yea, sorry if i was misunderstood, Im gbuying the dominator of the sound and look (not for fixing the smell, but will be a big plus if it goes away).

Btw someone know which this front upper fairing is? I tried to track it down with no results

503355ventrefz6341a5bc.jpg

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
So I felt around the y-pipe/mid-pipe joint today and could easily feel a lot of exhaust gasses blowing back towards the engine, pretty much all the way around the pipe. So apparently my problem still lies there.

IMG_20161106_172230.jpg

IMG_20161106_172246.jpg

I know the clamp looks too big, which it is. But it still is very tight. I've got it cranked on there and no amount of pushing/pulling on the clamp will budge it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I felt around the y-pipe/mid-pipe joint today and could easily feel a lot of exhaust gasses blowing back towards the engine, pretty much all the way around the pipe. So apparently my problem still lies there.

I know the clamp looks too big, which it is. But it still is very tight. I've got it cranked on there and no amount of pushing/pulling on the clamp will budge it.

Glad you found it BUT, it's tight as it's bottomed out on itself.

Your first picture clearly shows that.

That's exactly why I prefer the OEM (say for Scorpions) vs a knock off, it'll fit correctly and no "do overs".

IMO, contact Scorpion and order the correct clamp. If the mid-pipe fits loose to the "Y" pipe, bring both to a muffler shop and have
them open (and make round again) the mid pipe checking for tightness. It should fit pretty snug, ie, it shouldn't just drop in W/O
some gentle help...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site