Excessive drive line lash ??

rs117

Reaction score
Visit site
do these girls in general have excessive drive line lash ? I bought her with 17,000 and unless I am smooth :rolleyes: i can really feel it. It is hard to think the cush drive is warn out already, any thoughts /insight ??. I am used to Kawi liter bikes so still figuring out the FZ nuances
Ray

I blame the unusually high drive chain slack as specified by the manufacturer. 1.77-2.17" where as much of the motorcycle world uses 1-1.25"

To start, check your chain slack. Hopefully you're on the high end and can get it close to the low end of the range for better oneness with the drive train.

At 17k, nothing that matters should be worn out on a maintained bike. Chain/sprockets could be well aged if it was used hard or the PO skimped on lubing.

I blame the unusually high drive chain slack as specified by the manufacturer. 1.77-2.17" where as much of the motorcycle world uses 1-1.25"

To start, check your chain slack. Hopefully you're on the high end and can get it close to the low end of the range for better oneness with the drive train.

At 17k, nothing that matters should be worn out on a maintained bike. Chain/sprockets could be well aged if it was used hard or the PO skimped on lubing.

+1 @ chain slack. The more slack you've got, the worst it'll be going from closed throttle to easing on. Try to get it close to the *low* recommended number, but do NOT make it tighter than that. An over-tightened chain is worse than an overly loose one.

In general though, FZ6 is known to have a pretty substantial throttle snatch.

In general though, FZ6 is known to have a pretty substantial throttle snatch.

Even though it's not solving the problem of the loose chain and the feel in the drive train there, tightening up your throttle cables will also help limit this feeling.

Gotta remember this is a cheapened up SS - 'the $7500 R6', so the components will feel a bit off when compared against a ZX10.

thank you all for the replies..... the chain is on the loose side ( Yamaha specs ).
I had adjusted the throttle cable and will adj the chain to the tight side of spec tonight.
The FZ is actually a really nice bike for what it is.. my daughter is loving it

Back