Essential Motorcycle Tools for New Riders

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BIKE MECHANICS TOOL GUIDE

Tools you need & their uses.

HYDRAULIC BIKE JACK/PLATFORM - ingeniously designed tool for flipping bikes onto their sides, usually when you're alone in the garage.
EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4 - used for levering a bike upright after using a hydraulic jack on the bike.
WIRE WHEEL/GRINDER - cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingertips and hard-earned guitar calluses.
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands that smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly
- painted part carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.
VICE-GRIPS - used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.
ELECTRIC HAND DRILL - normally used for spinning steel Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, or drilling holes in a floor of a car just above the brake line that goes to the rear axle.
MECHANIC'S KNIFE - used to open and slice quickly and deeply through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing leathers or bike covers.
HAMMER - originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive chrome parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.
E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR - a tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.
TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST - a handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and hydraulic clutch lines you may have forgotten to disconnect. Almost capable of lifting a Gold Wing off the floor.
CRAFTSMAN 1/2 X 16 INCH SCREWDRIVER - a large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.
BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER - A handy tool for transferring sulphuric acid from the battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.
HACKSAW - one of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.
AVIATION SNIPS SEE above
AIR COMPRESSOR - a machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty suspension bolts last tightened 40 years ago and rounds them off.
PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER - normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.
TIMING LIGHT - a stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease buildup on crankshaft pulleys.
BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.
OXYCETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for setting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub you want the bearing race out of.
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.
PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

LOL. Brings back memories: My old shop teacher said "just touch up the edges of the chessboard with the belt sander". I did that and kept going :eek: and ended up having to refinish/sand the chess board flat. I spend most of the semester doing that and got a C+ on the project. At semester end, the shop teacher looked at me saying "Is that all you did the whole semester?"

I at least aced the written section on the names of tools and vowed to learn more about working on stuff and not be just "book smart" :D.

Dennis

Anything to help the cause. :rolleyes:

I've had too many nights being stuck because I don't have the right tool, and need to figure something out so I can go ride the next morning.

My personal favorite is using 1 gallon paint cans for jack stands. I had all 440 lbs of the 1125R one one paint can and about two 2X4s when I installed the exhaust. The hard part was picking the back of the bike up and using my toe to schooch the pile under the motor. It took a few tires. Now I own a pair of Pit Bull stands...

Sears should have at least one location in major cities open 24 hours a day.

I found this over on the Aprilia forum.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Nos!!! (oops, sorry, that would only be in a Gixxer owners garage...lol)

Nice list there mate ;)

:rockon:

:rof: :rof: good call :thumbup:..... The list is however missing the all important BEER FRIDGE , commonly kept in the back corner of the shop and used for important stuff like keeping Alcoholic beverages at a consumable temperature :D

My essential "tool" for my bike is my husband.....

He lovingly cleans and maintains my bike for me. :D

Now if I said "The essential gadget for my kitchen, is my wife" I would be getting a right telling off on here. But anyway that is not true.............She is the essential toy in my bedroom ;)

Steve

:rof: :rof: good call :thumbup:..... The list is however missing the all important BEER FRIDGE , commonly kept in the back corner of the shop and used for important stuff like keeping Alcoholic beverages at a consumable temperature :D

Amongst various bicycles and tools I do have the essential beer fridge and sofa !! :D :D

Back