Eric, you're a bad influence...

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I made the mistake of walking into my Yamaha dealership and asking my friendly sales guy "What if?" Since Eric traded in his FZ6 I can't get this out of my head. Obviously he's a super liked member and I always love his posts and learned a ton from him. So if he sees a big difference in the bikes I know I can take that to the bank. Now I want to be clear here. I've got 10,000 miles on the Fizz in 10 months. I've ridden it through the winter whenever I could, ridden in rain, and pushed myself to be a better rider. I've been riding now for about 6 years with about 30,000 total miles. But I know I'm still nowhere near most sportbikers skills. So I'm not saying that I can do what Eric does (cause I know for a fact I can't), but a bike with all those upgrades in suspension, brakes, steering, etc. should be safer too, wouldn't it?

Now there are 2 FZ1's in the showroom: A red 2008 leftover (brand new, no miles) and a blue 2009. So the sales guy begins defiling his shirt with drool and starts throwing numbers at me. He really wants to move the '08, really really badly. The '09 has been going nowhere fast as well and he tells me that there's just not that big a demand for the FZ1. He tells me that even with 10,000 miles he knows he can move the FZ6 much faster. So I go on his computer to check to see if there were any upgrades/changes from '08 to '09. He wasn't sure himself. I see no differences. (Eric, am I wrong about this?)

He starts with my bike + $4400 for the '08. I laugh. He says "would you do the deal today for your bike + $4000?" I say I'll do the deal today for my bike and $3000 figuring this is so absurd he'll do the laughing this time. He does. As I'm walking out the door he says "Norm, wait, give me one more chance." He goes in to the pit boss for about 5 minutes. He comes back and says "Your bike and $3500." It's enough to make me think hard. I'll be honest, I went in there expecting them to give me a lousy deal so it would be easy to walk out. This is difficult to walk out on but I do and tell him I'll probably be back. There are no more offers forthcoming so I figure this truly is the best deal he's going to give me. I go home, put the cash in my pocket and the title of Mr. Fizz in the saddlebag. I also call my insurance woman. I'm still secretly hoping she'll tell me the insurance jump will be huge. Nope! Just $70 more. So I take off. I get halfway down my block and do a U-turn and come home. I couldn't pull the trigger.

I can say that's the first time I've ever done that. Turn around that is, once I've made up my mind to buy a vehicle. I just kept thinking to myself "I love this bike". I've got frame sliders, a gps mount with hard wiring, battery tender, Cal Sci windshield, throttlemeister throttle lock, and this bike has never given me a lick of trouble. It'll do 150 MPH and it handles like a dream, at least for me. Since when do I need a liter bike? It'll cost another $500 to put the same mods on this bike. The sales tax, which I'll pay at the Registry in MA, since this dealership is in NH, will be another couple hundred I figure (they'll charge me the balance of the FZ1 minus the FZ6). He calls me a couple hours later and I tell him what happened. He's quite gracious and says that if I change my mind he'll be ready.

So now that I've had a few more days to think about it I'm still toying with it, trying not to though; I've got that devil/angel on the shoulders thing going on. Only now I'm thinking my bike and $4000 for the '09 blue one. Damn Eric, you're killing me...

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a vicious cycle isn't it? The looking, the wanting, the purchasing. Wait a while. Repeat.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
havng ridden Eric's bike i can say that you will NOT be dissapointed if you do decide to pull the trigger....

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious what prices are they asking for those FZ1's? I've seen some 06's on craigslist for $5k. Also saw a dealership that had leftover 07's for $7349. Trading in an 08 FZ6 plus $4k seems high to me. But then again I'm a cheap bastard. :D

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious what prices are they asking for those FZ1's? I've seen some 06's on craigslist for $5k. Also saw a dealership that had leftover 07's for $7349. Trading in an 08 FZ6 plus $4k seems high to me. But then again I'm a cheap bastard. :D

If I recall: '08 is $9299 and '09 is $9799

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I hate it when I am in that mode, I feel for you. Have you looked into any used, low-mileage FZ1's from any of the smaller shops around you? There is usually a considerable savings.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
In order to give you a different opinion I am going to offer mine. The number of people on the forum who have really pushed the FZ6 to its limits or out grown the FZ6 are a lot smaller than the number of members who say they have. After attending the dragon meet and watching some riders with a lot more skill than me do some pretty hard riding I was amazed at the limits of the bike. After watching these riders it was pretty easy to see that the rider limits the bike more often than the bike limits the rider. If you are really pushing the limits of this bike then you may want to consider a career change or get some instruction on riding position because you may be doing something wrong.

If you want to buy a new bike then just say "I want to buy a new bike".

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
In order to give you a different opinion I am going to offer mine. The number of people on the forum who have really pushed the FZ6 to its limits or out grown the FZ6 are a lot smaller than the number of members who say they have. After attending the dragon meet and watching some riders with a lot more skill than me do some pretty hard riding I was amazed at the limits of the bike. After watching these riders it was pretty easy to see that the rider limits the bike more often than the bike limits the rider. If you are really pushing the limits of this bike then you may want to consider a career change or get some instruction on riding position because you may be doing something wrong.

No way have I "outgrown" the bike. It's just that "new" thing. The meanest invention the advertising world ever invented is that word "upgrade". I've bought into that mentality hook, line, and sinker.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate it when I am in that mode, I feel for you. Have you looked into any used, low-mileage FZ1's from any of the smaller shops around you? There is usually a considerable savings.

That's a good way to put it: "in that mode", and I need to get out of it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Norm, it comes down to personal choice.

First question, you've answered. There is no difference between the '08 and '09 model years.

If they are offering you the new bike for yours and $3500, this means you are getting about $5800 for your FZ6, correct? Norm, I have to tell you that even with all my mods, I don't know that I could have sold my FZ6 for that money. That is MORE than I got and I had more and more pricey mods and 3k less miles. That is a deal I don't think I would walk away from.

If you'd really like a defining moment to help you decide, I am willing to meet with you and let you try the FZ1 so long as I lead. (That's my rule allowing anyone to twist my throttle. ;) ) Only then, would you know if there is enough there to warrant a change like this. It's a big decision and you're right about the added costs and mods.

One thing you could do is take some of the mods off the FZ6 like the GPS, battery tender SAE, throttlemeister and sliders and use them on the FZ1. Everything will work except maybe the sliders but you can sell those here.

Now, what I will tell you is I am still not sorry in the least. I still love the FZ6 and it is still a great bike! There's no way I can take that away from the 6. But the 1 just has all that I loved about the FZ6 and then a lot more. I've spilled my feeling about this in other threads so I won't do it again here.

Ok... I think I've enticed you more than enough. To end.... Great deal, wouldn't pass it up and if you need a test drive, I'm ready for you. :D

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, I might take you up on that offer! I want to give myself a couple more days to see where my thoughts take me. If I still find myself obsessing, maybe I could meet you Thursday or Friday evening.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely. Friday, we may be heading out on a ride but I am still unsure about it as Michele may have work to do on Friday. I have Friday off and if she does work, I'll be out near Hudson, NH mid-day.

Thursday evening is wide open. I get out at 3:30pm Thurs. I can meet you in Hampton if you want.

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been trying to trade my '06 FZ6 (with 2300 miles) and $3500 cash in on a 08 leftover FZ1 since last week. I guess the economy isn't as bad in Michigan as I thought! They aren't willing to deal apparently.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You also wouldn't have to haggle about the prep, shipping and paper shuffling costs too.

A shop here in Austin charges $1250 for prep, $650 for shipping and $250 in paper processing! :eek:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely. Friday, we may be heading out on a ride but I am still unsure about it as Michele may have work to do on Friday. I have Friday off and if she does work, I'll be out near Hudson, NH mid-day.

Thursday evening is wide open. I get out at 3:30pm Thurs. I can meet you in Hampton if you want.

Thanks Eric. I'll keep you updated.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am not being arguementative but asking out of genuine curiousity. How many of the riders at the meet had stock setups and were pushing that hard? This is an honest question. This question aside, I also know for a fact that there are riders here who are far and above my riding skills and would have left me standing at the Dragon. There are some on this forum that can take my old stock FZ6 and push it harder than I did and maybe not have the same problems. I strive to be as good but here in NH, it's VERY hard to find places to practice. :confused: ;)

Now, I'd like to explain why I ask...

The reason is, I pushed mine harder than I ever could there because NH doesn't offer any road nearly as technical and I thought I was going to have an insurance claim. I somehow managed to get the bike back upright without laying it down. I think that came from years of dirt track at that point.

I also let a very experienced rider take my bike on the Dragon. This guy rides a customized SV650 and leaves me in the dust far too easily but he's got a lot of money in suspension, braking and tires. He made it less than a mile and stopped. He had en even worse opinion of the stock setup than I did. I took his bike and couldn't believe the difference in riding a pro-tuned setup like his. That bike literally fell into the corners and held no matter how hard I pressed the bar.

It was then I knew I was either doing all sorts of expensive crazy mods on the FZ6 or getting a bike better designed for technical riding. The FZ1 is everything the FZ6 is with a lot more thrown on top. The engine, torque and power all set aside, the rest of the bike is a better technical machine with more advanced features.

As for touring, I like it better now as well. It's got a lot more power to haul the loads. When you load up an FZ6 and throw on a pillion, the bike has to grunt a lot in the mountains. The FZ1 takes the same path with a lot less effort. Because it struggles less, the tour is that much more enjoyable.

These are just my opinions based on personal experience, advice of trusted riders, reading and my fat arse sitting on both saddles. I am in no way trying to change anyone's mind or say I'm the guy who is right. :thumbup: These are to be taken with a grain of salt please. :Flash:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'd love an fz1... but i'll never own one. the things that knock it out as a possible bike for me is

- fuel tank - i've read 130 mpt. that's pretty small
- mpg - a little less than the fz6 but still less
- seat hight - this is the biggie. i could deal with the other two but the fz6 is already too tall for me. i have to tippie-toe it. i can't imagine an fz1. not unless they can really lower that thing.

you can't really fix the mpg because it is a liter bike. but if those other two were dealt with i would strongly consider it. mainly for touring. but i think i have all the bike i need right now.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Was offered this for my FZ6 and $3500.00 should I jump on it? Doesn't seem like a bad deal.
2006 Yamaha FZ1

never seen one in silver. that's a nice looking bike.... as soon as you get rid of the 55 gallon drum hanging off the side.

i have no advice for you but when i looked at that bike i looked a little something like this.
:drool:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to add to Eric's post by saying I am not looking to increase performance so much (as I know better performance would have to come from me and not the bike) but to increase tourability (Norm's dictionary). The FZ6 is an absolutely awesome bike but the better suspension and smoother, less buzzy ride of the FZ1 will probably be less taxing on my old body. Unlike most people I know personally who buy a motorcycle and let it sit in the garage most of the time, I use mine to go to the supermarket, the post office, work, or to NYC. My car's mileage per year has gone down to less than half of what it used to be because that's how much I love motorcycling.

So I'm thinking a little more "plush" bike would not necessarily be overkill. I've ridden my friend's FJR but that bike, great as it is, is a big boy, and not the kind of bike I'd want to take out for just a little jaunt down the road. So I'm looking for, if I am looking that is, for a little more comfort for the long rides without sacrificing the ease of dealing with the bike under no power and for short trips. Having said all this, I'm going to have a hard time letting Mr. Fizz go and there's still a better than even chance I'll keep him!:thumbup: