Engine oil light

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just done my oil and filter change for my 08 FZ6.I notice the engine oil goes off the moment i crank started it?I thought the engine light suppose to be on for a few sec before it goes off,right?Since with a new oil filter,the engine will takes some time before it reaches every part of the engine.
Is this a oil level or oil pressure sensor for our FZ6?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil level only. Some other members seem to be having the same problem. If the light doesn't go out, check the oil level with the bike on the centerstand, dipstick inserted but not screwed in and pull out to check the indicator.

Try that. :thumbup:

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a very bad design,This the first bike that i owned uses oil level sensor.What happen if the oil pump fail?It will still fails to alert the owner of the problem because as long as the oil level is up to the mark,it will not light up.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The dip stick is one "feature" that I really hate on the FZ6. I MUCH prefer a sight window. That makes checking the level so easy that it gets done more often. Has anyone heard Yamaha's rationalization on why they went that way? I've never heard of a sight glass breaking but I guess it's possible.

Tim

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The oil level gauge is not the best solution. A pressure sensor would be better.

However, the bike does have a secondary system to warn the rider that there is a loss of oil pressure.

First, the engine will begin to make a high pitched squealing noise.

Next, the engine will bring itself to a stop.

To inform the rider that the engine stopped due to an oil pressure problem, smoke will begin to rise from the engine.

Should the rider attempt to restart the engine at this point, the engine will not start. This prevents the rider from simply ignoring the oil pressure problem.

Should this happen to you, your Yamaha dealership can get your bike working again. You will need to install a replacement for part number 1-11111-01 (Engine, 600cc, FZ6).

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha Fred,this is good one.It is possible to fix any external oil pressure guage for FZ6?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It could probably be done. Find out where an oil passage is, then drill and tap a hole for a pressure sensor.

If you wire it in parallel with the original sensor, then I bet that either one would turn on the light.

Fred

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
Page 3-14.

attachment.php

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
and you can get a nice braided oil line made for cheap to relocate the sender.
I made one for a friends sti that's 26" with stainless fitting for $50.