Engine makes a faint ticking noise

promega

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a fz6 2006 and I am new to motorbikes. But while I am riding, I can hear a faint rapid ticking noise, is this normal. its really faint, but i am crazy when it comes to listening to my engines.. it also only has 2500 miles on it, it has been sitting for 10 months though

I guess this is common, sorry eveyone for not searching first before posting! I am ashamed.

Last edited:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Little faint ticking noise is normal. That’s what the FZ6 is well known for. Tickle me this ... tickle me that. If you tickle her, she might stop for a brief enjoyment...:D

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
normal. My 08 has it also. I only hear it when my visor is open. So when my bike begins to make weird noises in the future i'll just keep my visor closed.

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
The ticking noise is your valves opening. If you DON'T hear a ticking noise, then it means your valve is sealed and you can damage your engine.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 05 and it has ticked since the day i bought it.. sia dabove, if its not ticking, there is probly a major problem... but it is normal... no worries

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 making the same noise. Interestingly, it only ticks when it's in gear, driving the rear wheel. If I just wrap the motor up in neutral to where I normally hear the noise, I get nothing.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a mechanically quite a noisy bike.
With my first 04 one I was forever back at the dealers complaining about this or that noise.Now with my 08 I just enjoy it as a characteristic of the bike,believe me after trying other bikes in between noises are nothing to worry about,these bikes are super reliable!

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone before stated, this is normal! That clicking you hear is the fuel injectors. It is supposed to be doing that. Take a long screwdriver and put it on a fuel injector and shove your ear on the handle and listen. You can do this on cars too.

m1losh

Reaction score
Visit site
I own a 2008 FZ6 Fazer with 7000 miles on it.
I can hear the ticking, only when cruising beetween 2000 and 4000 rpm. Above is ok?
Maybe thats because I have a Givi 440D big screen mounted on it, so I hear the engine much more than the wind.

Sounds same like this, but a little less loud.
http://www.rob2222.de/fz6/fz6.mp3

Last edited:

flash

Reaction score
Visit site
It may be the fuel injectors. If it was the valves the ticking would indicate slightly to much clearance. This situation is more favorable then not enough clearance, as it will lead to burnt valves and a poor performance and eventually a costly head job.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yup.. either the valves or the injectors.. mine makes noise up till about 4-5k because after that you couldnt hear the noises anyways... if your still concerned then bring it to the dealer, but most likely all will be fine.. you can change to a heavier wieghted oil to help the valve chatter..