Engine feels weaker at altitude

johnnyg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey friends!

So I'm a month into a two month motorcycle trip and after about 4,000 miles last month when I got into New Mexico it started getting a lot easier to stall out my trusty 2008 FZ6. Like while I'm engine breaking coming up to a light or on the highway, stuff that would I would rarely stall out on. And when I do pull out onto the highway I don't have nearly as much acceleration as I used to. My initial thought was maybe I need to check the air filter, which I still might do (stormed out in a hotel room tonight, womp).

Took it to Moto-Authority in Albuquerque today and they said it could be a combination of the ethanol in New Mexico gas and the altitude, since ABQ is at 6,000 ft and I did start noticing it when I got into the mountains 2 days ago. Everything I've read says altitude shouldn't matter on a fuel injected bike... They sold me some fuel treatment to help with the ethanol, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Was curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Bonus: blog of my trip if any of you are intetested: https://tinythunk.com/blog/

Hey there. Stalling could be combined product of idle rpm, fuel quality (or lack of), and ya the air filter if occluded could be a factor too.

Naturally aspirated combustion engines make less power at elevation. There is less oxygen. Its just how it is. However, having had it up to 6000 plus feet I don't recall it being low on power...

In a cage I was up 8600 feet and the poor little four banger could hardly get out of harms way. It was way down on power altitude!

I live at 5,500ft above sea level and when I take my bike to the coast the power increase is dramatically noticeable.

We have lower octane petrol here than at sea level but when I take the bike to sea level I don't need to make any changes to any settings, just use the higher octane fuel and enjoy the power!

BTW it's elevation, not altitude.

Hey friends!

So I'm a month into a two month motorcycle trip and after about 4,000 miles last month when I got into New Mexico it started getting a lot easier to stall out my trusty 2008 FZ6. Like while I'm engine breaking coming up to a light or on the highway, stuff that would I would rarely stall out on. And when I do pull out onto the highway I don't have nearly as much acceleration as I used to. My initial thought was maybe I need to check the air filter, which I still might do (stormed out in a hotel room tonight, womp).

Took it to Moto-Authority in Albuquerque today and they said it could be a combination of the ethanol in New Mexico gas and the altitude, since ABQ is at 6,000 ft and I did start noticing it when I got into the mountains 2 days ago. Everything I've read says altitude shouldn't matter on a fuel injected bike... They sold me some fuel treatment to help with the ethanol, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Was curious if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Bonus: blog of my trip if any of you are intetested: https://tinythunk.com/blog/

AFFIRMATIVE CAPTAIN!! Elevation does it!
I live in WI, Been to Colorado twice on the FZ. I could start to feel power loss around 5,000 feet. Once you get into Denver, you know you're a Mile high. Its not a huge power loss, but you do notice those take-off's need a little more gas to get going.
Take a ride up to Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans... By 10,000ft you're wondering where half your engine went. By 14,000ft, you've been reduced to a Moped. (OK, OK, I may be exaggerating a little teeny bit... but you certainly notice the power loss)

Bump your idle up a couple or few hundred RPM. it will aid the take-offs.

ENJOY the mountain. I LOVED IT

Yep yep, having a blast on my trip. Finally put in a new air filter in Sedona on my way to the west coast. Now that I'm back at elevation in Montana/Wyoming/Colorado I've noticed the lower power, but not as bad as before. Also have had a few fun moments going uphill against the wind and unable to get more than 7000rpm and 85mph with WOT...

Back