Engine dying/stalling on downshift

L

ludaChris

I just picked up my first bike this week, a new 2009 FZ6 from Colorado Powersports. I've been riding it around and have about 400 miles on it now.

I rode it down to Colorado Springs and back up to Broomfield over the weekend and on the way back up I noticed the engine was dying sometimes when I downshifted.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the downshift itself and possibly something I was doing wrong, so while I was coasting in the middle of nowhere I experimented with the timing of my shifts and clutch and couldn't reliably reproduce it. Then I was able to make it die three time in a row while coasting ~35-45mph in third gear I think; engine was at ~5-6k rpm and I would disengage the clutch and the engine went straight to zero, eased the clutch back in and the engine started going, released and repeated the process three times with the engine dying each time, but then I couldn't reproduce it again after that.

It just started happening on this one trip, and continued through the whole 2.5 hours it took me to get back up here; occasionally, possibly randomly dying when I downshifted (disengaged the clutch) in seemingly any gear or revs. Could it be a case of bad gas (I've put 3 or 4 tanks in it so far from various places, using Regular as the dealer recommended for the altitude), or is there something wrong with my first/new bike?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
So it isn't really dying on the downshift just when you pull in the clutch correct?

Will it die if you pull in the clutch and rev the engine a little?

What is your idle speed set at when warm?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
that's one of the oddest things i've heard of. so when the engine dies are you having to hit your starter button to restart it? how are you restarting the engine.

also, because i'm slow on the uptake... are you saying
(a)you're rolling along squeezing your clutch in... then you let it out to use the throttle... then it dies?
or
(b) you're rolling along not touching... then you pull your clutch in (as if to shift gears)... then it dies?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats odd, only time i can remember any of my bikes dying when i downshifted/used clutch was if i had the idle speed too low.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had it happen after rolling down hills (10% grade) in 6th gear using engine braking. When I get close to the hairpin near the bottom of the grade and want to downshift, I have to remember to blip the throttle either right before or as I pull the clutch lever. If I don't, the engine sometimes stalls. I don't think the engine's getting fuel under engine braking, and then once I pull the clutch and take the load off the engine, it stalls before it gets fuel. I don't think it's ever happened except after engine braking and it idles fine. Given the right circumstances, I could probably replicate the problem on flat land, but I can't remember it happening to me except declining mountain passes. It's never been too much of a headache, so I'm just going to ask the tech to sync the throttle bodies and check the idle speed when I take it in for new plugs soon.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I've had it happen after rolling down hills (10% grade) in 6th gear using engine braking. When I get close to the hairpin near the bottom of the grade and want to downshift,

Could have just been the fuel sloshed to the front of the tank so the fuel pump pickup sucked in some air causing a stall.

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same symptoms when I picked up my used 06 I found out the battery did not have a good charge. I bought a cheap walmart battery tender and have never had the problem since. Its a good idea to charge the battery regularly any way. Good luck.

by the way I still have the same battery and its been three years now.:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my car used to do that, it was the idle control valve, on a bike it sounds like something else though

how does it run if the throttle is disengaged, but the clutch is engaged?

could this be something to do with the TPS?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its very odd the symptoms your having, a low idle would cause problems at idle but dying at 5,000 RPM its something else. ECU, a sensor somewhere, a bad battery (not likely but possible), loose battery terminal(s), bad connetor/connection, etc. Can you tell if your losing the electric at the dash (turn on high beam and watch the blue light, tach go blank)? Perhaps, while stopped (at home), jiggle the key while its running and see if it makes any difference(possible bad solder connection in ignition switch).

I'd be bringing it back to the dealer under warranty, it shouldn't do that and can be extremly dangerous in traffic.

Please post what you come up with and good luck..

BTW, congrates on your first bike (great choice once your problem is sorted out!) and welcome to the forum..

Last edited:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have (I think) the same issue. Mine is also intermittant, and has happened maybe 3 separate days since I took the bike out in March, also it happened once or twice last year I think. Here's what happens...

- Start bike. All is normal.
- Take off, out of parking lot, up street, red light, go, blah blah, ride for less than 5 minutes, everything's normal.
- Slowing down for a stop sign, I pull in the clutch and BAM engine is dead.
- Hit the starter and the bike turns over and starts again pretty easily. Not like a weak battery, but a good firm crank.
- Bike may or may not do it again, right away.
- Within 60 seconds of riding further, problem vanishes.

...?!?!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the things that happens with bikes is they switch the timing algorithms in the software when the gear changes and the clutch switch is included.
Sometimes the volatile memory in an ECU can learn a funny trick. Unhook the battery for a half hour. Hook it back up and take it for a ride. Let it cool down, take it for another ride. See if the glitch has gone. :D

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the things that happens with bikes is they switch the timing algorithms in the software when the gear changes and the clutch switch is included.
Sometimes the volatile memory in an ECU can learn a funny trick. Unhook the battery for a half hour. Hook it back up and take it for a ride. Let it cool down, take it for another ride. See if the glitch has gone. :D

That's the thing,

A) It happenes only once every few months at BEST. Total gremlin problem, no idea if anything you've done might have fixed it or not.
B) I just had the battery out twice in the last month, once for bd43's headlight mod and once to put in a new clutch cable (friday).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the thing,

A) It happenes only once every few months at BEST. Total gremlin problem, no idea if anything you've done might have fixed it or not.
B) I just had the battery out twice in the last month, once for bd43's headlight mod and once to put in a new clutch cable (friday).

Has it happened since you've had the battery out? Also your problem and the OP's may be different.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Has it happened since you've had the battery out? Also your problem and the OP's may be different.

Yeah, after the first time a month ago. It just happened saturday morning, twice in rapid succession. Nothing this morning though.

Could a kinked gas tank vent tube do this? (I'm fishing for answers here)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, after the first time a month ago. It just happened saturday morning, twice in rapid succession. Nothing this morning though.

Could a kinked gas tank vent tube do this? (I'm fishing for answers here)

I've had this happen with my FZ6 when I had from the day I got it. It only seemed to happen if the engine was not fully warmed up. I'd be gently ride down the street, pull in the clutch and the engine would die. Let the clutch out and she'd start and run normal. I always got the feeling it was from a glitch in the software and a certain combination of inputs. After I put the PClll on it and had it dyno'd it never did it again.
I've seen this complaint a number of times on the FZ6 and really think it's fuel management related through the ECU....Certain combo of inputs = fuel off. Pay attention to engine temp when this happens. Is the engine fully warmed? For me it was almost to temp but not fully warmed up.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely happens before the engine is fully warm. Hmm... I'm not really too worried anyway, it's so rare and easy to get around.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue except that it was when I was out on a long highway ride, and I pulled in the clutch at speed to relax my throttle hand for a second ... it would die out.

I resolved my issue by increasing the idle speed by using the adjuster (it takes a screwdriver) which is under the seat and frame on the port side of the bike (your left side as you sit on the bike).

I'd start there and see if it helps your issue. I believe the recommended idle speed is like 1,400 rpm.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue except that it was when I was out on a long highway ride, and I pulled in the clutch at speed to relax my throttle hand for a second ... it would die out.

I resolved my issue by increasing the idle speed by using the adjuster (it takes a screwdriver) which is under the seat and frame on the port side of the bike (your left side as you sit on the bike).

I'd start there and see if it helps your issue. I believe the recommended idle speed is like 1,400 rpm.

Mine idles at the right speed, when it idles (99.9999% of the time). I thought about that. But this isn't like, it slows down rpm's gently and then stalls, it just snuffs out as soon as I pull the clutch.

Oh well.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try to up the idle via the adjuster anyway, see if it helps. If it doesn't you can always set it back.