Engine Break-In

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, new member here, and a fairly new rider. I bought a new FZ6 a little over a month ago, (beautiful day! I've wanted one for so long!) and I'm a pretty new rider so I didn't really know about taking it easy on the engine while it's still new...I pushed it pretty hard the first day I bought it, took it up to about 130. It's at about 800 miles now, and seems to be running fine. Should I worry at all?

VA FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The owners manual says not to go over 8K (rpm's) for extended periods for the first 600 miles, then not over 10k for the from 600-1000 miles on the bike. (These are approximate numbers, i dont have the manual in front of me). The motor is solid so you shouldnt have any problems. If you havent taken it in for its first yet, you may want to. The techs will be able to tell you if anything is wrong.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, new member here, and a fairly new rider. I bought a new FZ6 a little over a month ago, (beautiful day! I've wanted one for so long!) and I'm a pretty new rider so I didn't really know about taking it easy on the engine while it's still new...I pushed it pretty hard the first day I bought it, took it up to about 130. It's at about 800 miles now, and seems to be running fine. Should I worry at all?

Well...it's kinda too late now. Don't sweat it as there would be nothing you can do anyway. Honestly, your motor is fine. Have you done your 600 mile service??? If not, stop what you are doing and pull your maintenace right now!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Tremulant:

There has been a lot in this forum about break-in procedure. Search "break-in" or something similiar. It's amazing how much has been discussed about what's the best way to break in. Even though the manual says keep it under a certain RPM for first 1000 or so, there is quite a number of theories/actual tests on different break-in recommendations. Re first service, it's probably split right down the middle; some are DIYS'ers (doityourselfers) while the rest are bring-it-inners (at least for the first 600 mile service).

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
I got this link here a while ago and i saved it. I havent personally tryed it but it is one of the ways to break in an engine

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I've been following a similar pattern for my new FZ6. Here's CalSci's discussion on the matter, which is similar to the above link:

CalSci - How to break in your new bike

I will agree with other posters here that it's most important that you go in for your 600 mile and get your oil changed. Otherwise, you ought to be fine.