Easiest way to pay toll with cash

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I only had to pay a toll once so far while riding and i ended up dropping cash all over the place due to my gloves. So what are some of the ways you pay tolls easily? Yesterday I saw somebody actually get off their bike to reach in heir pocket and get what they needed. is this normal to do? Looks like he had an easier time then I did.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all about the tank bag when paying tolls with cash. Well, really it's about planning and a tank bag. Keep the cash/coins in their own accessible pocket with nothing else in it. When I have to pay a toll that I wasn't expecting I pull over before I get to the booth, sort out the money THEN ride up to the booth. People have places to be -- I would hate to get off my bike to dig around in my pockets with people behind me.

Also, consider this system. I often keep toll money in there.

When wearing thick gloves at least one will have to come off unless you really plan each toll and have the money counted out, separated and very easy to get to.

If you can't get to the cash and it's an automated booth (no gate) just roll through. BUT! You must flip off the camera when using this method. You get ZERO points without the bird. I can't stress this enough.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
It's all about the tank bag when paying tolls with cash. Well, really it's about planning and a tank bag. Keep the cash/coins in their own accessible pocket with nothing else in it. When I have to pay a toll that I wasn't expecting I pull over before I get to the booth, sort out the money THEN ride up to the booth. People have places to be -- I would hate to get off my bike to dig around in my pockets with people behind me.

Also, consider this system. I often keep toll money in there.

When wearing thick gloves at least one will have to come off unless you really plan each toll and have the money counted out, separated and very easy to get to.

If you can't get to the cash and it's an automated booth (no gate) just roll through. BUT! You must flip off the camera when using this method. You get ZERO points without the bird. I can't stress this enough.

Thanks, I'll have to look into these options. I liked the last one lol...but a tankbag seems nice to have

We don't have tolls here...:rockon:
Do you wear a jacket with a change pocket on the left arm?

nope...just a zippered pocket on both sies and one inside the jacket

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Zip tie a clothespin to your handlebar. Then, just clip the money in there before you leave.

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a ferry crossing a couple of weeks ago on the FZ. I had it all planned so's not to piss off the people behind me in the queue. I had my passport and ticket in the clear pocket on my tank bag, thinking I can quickly whip them out, but I forgot that customs would want me to take off my helmet to check the passport picture. So that mean't gloves off, helmet off, helmet on, gloves on, make it all comfy again. So I ended up causing a big queue anyway.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
People have places to be -- I would hate to get off my bike to dig around in my pockets with people behind me.

Major Kudos. I always make an effort to not be a tool on the road, bike or cage. The other day I had a guy sit through a light in front of me while he was on the phone and taking notes on pad on his dash board. While I was on the way to work. What ever happened to pulling over to get something done?

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Tank bag for me - I ususally start with a few bills in the pocket, stick with handing out bills only at the cashier's window and then dumping any change in the tank bag and sorting it out later. It's a PITA no matter how you do it - best thing I've done is get an extra transpoder for bike and e-tolls.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They used to have these guns that you could load up with quarters and shoot the quarters into the basket at the toll booths. Don't know if they still have those cuz a guy rolled up to a booth attendant (Think it was in the toll capital of the world, New Jersey) and shot him/her with quarters instead of handing them to the attendant. :rof::rof: There was some news about it. They didn't think it was funny......:rof: Maybe they still have them? Hahaha!

The guy who got off the bike was probably caught off guard and ended up on a toll road. You'd almost think we we're civilized enough to flag a bike through instead of adding to the amount of money wasted and pollution that's created by stopping all these cars in the first place! :rolleyes: Fast -Trak works pretty good......

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
It's definitely worth the effort to get an E-Z Pass. I have one for my car and one for the bike. I found a great cheap way of attaching it to the bike as well. It is important to know that the EZ pass, in my experience, is best "read" when it is upside down, flat, and with the thick part facing forward. As such I applied some all purpose velcro strips to the pass and my brake reservoir, with the thick portion of the pass hanging over the edge of the reservoir. Just for good measure I put a rubber band around the whole thing, lengthwise/left to right although it probably doesn't need it.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy who got off the bike was probably caught off guard and ended up on a toll road. You'd almost think we we're civilized enough to flag a bike through instead of adding to the amount of money wasted and pollution that's created by stopping all these cars in the first place! :rolleyes: Fast -Trak works pretty good......

I dont think he was caught off guard...he did it twice...Once going over the throggs neck bridge which is a major bridge and has tolls both ways and is very clear that there is a toll

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the EZ pass...
Cheaper tolls too... Triboro is like 550 by car... 1.99 by bike w/ezpass

Last edited:

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously, if you use toll roads alot, EZ-PASS is the way to go.

However, for how few times I go through Tolls, I'd hate to see the EZ-PASS sitting on my bike. I usually plan ahead, stick the toll amount in my pocket before I travel, pull over right before the toll, take off my left glove and sit on glove, stop in toll, take change out of pocket, put on glove, drive off. Most the tolls I go through are exact change only.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont think he was caught off guard...he did it twice...Once going over the throggs neck bridge which is a major bridge and has tolls both ways and is very clear that there is a toll

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time! The Throggs Neck bridge! Haha! How's traffic on the L.I.E. Hahaha! Can you still get those quarter shooting guns?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the subject of tolls, what about the cost?

Here a bike costs the same as a class 1 vehicle, which in the extreme case could be an F-250 towing a twin axle caravan. Hence the practice of "skieting" the toll gate, as many bikers call it. (skieting, pronounced skeeting, is the Afrikaans word for shooting).

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
throggs neck, triboro, and whitestone are all $5.50 for any vehicle each way. Exact change lanes do not exist anymore. There are about 7 or 8 ez-pass lanes and 3 cash lanes. Oh...and the L.I.E could be bad at times, but not worse then the cross bronx or hutch during rush hour.